Reverse wind up merchants on this site rule the board

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    Strange thread: everyone seems to have misunderstood the OP, and OP hasn't even explained himself very well!

The point is there's a culture on here where posters compete to be seen as the most moderate, the most 'progressive' and most 'rational' person.

It's a reverse wind up because it's transparent; people wouldn't spend nearly so long on here reading and replying to things if they were truly the sort that 'didn't care at all''.

Totally agree personally, it's prevalent on DS and other forums and really gets on my wick. People should rant, whine, shout as much as they want - at least it's genuine.

Good post.

But it's the inevitable outcome of a forum that is heavily moderated coupled with the natural desire of posters not to be disliked.
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing that all the people who've a problem with this site and the things people post have all joined in the last month or so. Me, suspicious?:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but that would leave no time for debate, And I always make time for that.

But that's the thing, y'see. You're not debating, you're simply judging people. You should be concentrating on different things.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I think this thread is a wind up.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess people with er forthright? opinions are less likely to do so. Ie the OP was seeking people of the same forthright opinion on those who can't swim or drive. Why people are less likely to do so, maybe the fear of being jumped on, or finding out their opinion is slightly bigoted.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange thread: everyone seems to have misunderstood the OP, and OP hasn't even explained himself very well!

The point is there's a culture on here where posters compete to be seen as the most moderate, the most 'progressive' and most 'rational' person.

It's a reverse wind up because it's transparent; people wouldn't spend nearly so long on here reading and replying to things if they were truly the sort that 'didn't care at all''.

Totally agree personally, it's prevalent on DS and other forums and really gets on my wick. People should rant, whine, shout as much as they want - at least it's genuine.

I agree with all of this. Threads turning into inane chatter seems to be the thing these days too.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats normal, Chambers?

I
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should we assume that those who rant, whine and shout are genuine while those who are more moderate aren't? Does being hysterical or extreme somehow equate to being genuine? The ranters and shouters are often shallow souls who see things in simplistic black and white terms. No doubt you'll be familiar with the saying that empty barrels make the most noise.

The ranters, whiners and shouters often seem to me to be either perfectly straightforward, non-reverse wind-up merchants, simple-minded, or else a bit nuts.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have different characters, some are laid back and some are argumentative. I don't mind if someone disagrees with me, its the whole point of a debate but some don't like it. To get angry and shouty at something, I have to care about or at least know the person in angry with. I don't know anyone on here so someone disagreeing with me or insulting me doesn't particularly bother me. I might care about the subject and enjoy the debate but it doesn't mean in going to get all emotional about it. We are all just different.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

Are you confusing discussion with self-expression perhaps? Some people are passionate about discussion and debate and even perhaps influencing the ideas of others while hopefully learning themselves.
    Ranting and shouting does not usually produce such discussion. Exercising a bit of restraint has more chance of getting a point across and gives room to listen to others. It would be wrong to equate calmness with a lack of passion. Someone may feel so passionately about something that they are prepared to rein that passion in in the hope of getting a point across effectively.

it also helps to avoid the inactive label of course.
This discussion has been closed.