Glee (US Pace) (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this week. As usual, the New York stuff is my favourite. Mamma Mia was brilliant!

Gutted about the 3 week gap :(
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Good episode but hit and miss in places.

Rachel should never be allowed anywhere near Radiohead songs in future. Lea Michele cannot do justice to them and neither could Brody.

Brody's gone then, right? He started off okay, got uninteresting towards the end, so I won't really miss him that much.

Let Rachel be single for a while and have her, Kurt and Santana just be awesome as roomies for a bit.

The boyfriend pillow thing was amusing as well.

Blaine and Sam - at least that one is sorted out and rather nicely too. They only work as friends to be honest.

Jake's points about Chris Brown, I can see the logic behind but I understand everyone else's annoyance as well.

Kitty's being softened and Artie suddenly has a crush on her as well. This should be interesting.

Overall not a bad one and yay for some Spice Girls, 7/10
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's everyones top 5 song from each season?

Season 1 (So many to choose from)
    5. Maybe this time
    4. Poker face
    3. Lean on me
    2. Defying gravity

1. Don't rain on my parade

Season 2 (Not much choice)
    5. Pure imagination
    4. Silly love songs
    3. For good
    2. Hell to the no

1. Take me or leave me

Season 3
    5. Human nature
    4. Survivor/I will survive
    3. Here's to us
    2. Ding dong the witch is dead

1. How will I know

Haven't watched season 4 so can't possibly comment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Liked the episode, don't really have a lot more to say about it than that :p I actually enjoyed Creep as well.
    Season 1
    5.The Lady is a Tramp - Puck & Mercedes
    4. Imagine - New Directions
    3. Poker Face - Shelby & Rachel
    2. Hello - Rachel & Jesse
    1. Don't Rain on My Parade - Rachel

Season 2
    5. Light up the World - New Directions
    4. Rolling in the Deep - Rachel & Jesse
    3. I wanna hold your hand - Kurt
    2. Thriller/ Heads Will Roll - New Directions
    1. My Man - Rachel

Season 3
    5. Smooth Criminal - Santana & Sebastian
    4. Here's To Us - Rachel
    3. Fly/ I Believe I Can Fly - Rachel & Santana & New Directions
    2. Survivor/ I will survive - Shelby's girls (forgotten name! :o)
    1. Roots Before Branches - Rachel

Season 4 (so far)
    5. Give Your Heart a Break - Rachel & Brody
    4. The Scientist - Pretty much all the couples
    3. We've Got Tonight - Rachel & Finn
    2. It's Time - Blaine
    1. O Holy Night & Being Good - I'm treating it as a whole performance haha! - Rachel

...recurring theme seems to be Rachel's powerful songs coming out top. I love Lea's voice :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chris Brown stuff... I kind of wish the show had just issued a statement saying they won't ethically cover Chris Brown. Dealing with it in-show turned it from a question of whether a show should give publicity and channel royalties to someone that awful, into a reductive debate about censoring a teenager from singing a song.

I don't have any issues with his fans singing Chris Brown songs, what I would have an issue with is Glee using its significant clout to earn him money. Trying to conflate the in-show and out-of-show arguments really didn't work.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Chris Brown stuff... I kind of wish the show had just issued a statement saying they won't ethically cover Chris Brown. Dealing with it in-show turned it from a question of whether a show should give publicity and channel royalties to someone that awful, into a reductive debate about censoring a teenager from singing a song.

I don't have any issues with his fans singing Chris Brown songs, what I would have an issue with is Glee using its significant clout to earn him money. Trying to conflate the in-show and out-of-show arguments really didn't work.

How didn't it really didn't work?

It showed the hypocrisy of censoring some songs and not others.

Will they never play a Gary Glitter song, but will do a Bobby Brown one?

Who do they censor and who don't they?
  • iris_de_baumeiris_de_baume Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    ...Will they never play a Gary Glitter song, ....

Who do they censor and who don't they?

That horse bolted in Series 2 when Holly Holliday gave us "Do You Wanna Touch me?", most ably assisted by Santana and Brittany.

Though they know it as the Joan Jett cover, and get their knickers in a twist when they realise who wrote it (and is earning the royalties).
    A cover of the song by Joan Jett from her 1981 album Bad Reputation appears in a 2008 TV commercial for Hewlett-Packard's TouchSmart computers. The commercial was withdrawn when the company learned that Glitter, now a convicted child molester, had written the song. On 29 October 2008, it was reported that Glitter would receive £100,000 in royalties from Hewlett Packard for the advertisement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be arsed to do a full top 5 for all four seasons given that there are nearly 450 released singles to chose from but my top of each season would be:

Season 1 - Defying Gravity - Kurt
    Absolutely no question. My favourite Glee track ever. Incredibly important to me and my most listened to song on my iPod.
    (Notable mentions: Defying Gravity (Rachel), I Dreamed a Dream and Like A Prayer)

Season 2 - Loser Like Me - New Directions
    Such a fun song and I can still remember how it made me feel when I first heard it on Ryan Seacrest's radio show. It was such a big deal that they were doing original songs and I couldn't stop singing it for weeks!
    (Notable mentions: Turning Tables, I feel pretty / Unpretty and For Good (although there are actually loads of amazing tracks in Season 2 when I look back at my iPod))

Season 3 - Rumours Has It / Someone Like You - Troubletones
    The best mash up that Glee has ever done and an extraordinary track in it's own right. It was performed so well in the show and so emotionally perfect but with that heavy drum beat.
    (Notable mentions: You can't stop the beat and Here's to us)

Season 4 - Crazy / 'U drive me crazy - Marley and Jake
    Season 4 is a tricky one because there are about 4 or so songs that I think deserve it and are all fairly equal but that mash up is my most listened to of the season.
    (Notable: Oops! I did it again, Never say never and Mine)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this week's episode, the line from Sam to Tina about her straddling a sick Will was brilliant and genuinely made me LOL. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My top fives would have to be, in no particular order:

Season 1
    Defying Gravity
    Don't Stop Believing
    Don't Rain On My Parade
    Rose's Turn
    Keep Holding On

Season 2
    I Want To Hold Your Hand
    I Feel Pretty/Unpretty
    For Good
    As If We Never Said Goodbye
    Baby It's Cold Outside

Season 3
    We Are Young
    Not The Boy Next Door
    Rumour Has It/Someone Like You
    How Will I Know
    Tongue Tied

Season 4
    Being Alive
    The Scientist
    Don't Speak
    The Way You Look Tonight/You're Never Fully Dressed
    Bring Him Home

I thought the theme of Guilty Pleasures, especially in terms of music, seemed like a rip off of Bad Reputation.

I watched some of the Lima scenes and actually found Kitty tolerable this week which was quite a surprise. I also liked the show's recognition of Spice Girls but I have to admit to being bitter they waited until the originals graduated before covering them.

Blam is just one those storylines I try to forget exists.

The New York scenes were really cute and funny. I always prefer them but it's nice that we're finally getting comedic roommate moments. At first I wasn't sure about Santana joining in and ruining the hummelberry dynamic but she's such a great addition and the three are brilliant together.

I actually kind of liked Rachel/Brody and am disappointed with the route the show has taken - it seemed contrived and unnecessary and really doesn't say much about Finchel that they had villainize Brody in order for Finn to seem the 'right' choice for Rachel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finn is 100% irrefutably not the right choice for Rachel. I've never been so invested in a show which has a main "end game" that I absolutely do not want to happen.
    I've made this point numerous times but Rachel's end game should be Broadway success. Everything she does should be motivated by that. Yes she can stumble and need her high school crush during that time but its time to move the hell on!
    I'm not fussed about Brittana and whilst I've liked Klaine whilst they were at high school, they too need to move on. If I had to chose an endgame it would be Klaine though.

Based on the previews for "Shooting Star" (when we come back in another 3 weeks...):
    It looks like Finn is off to University in Lima and it looks like Puck will be with him. I believe they are going to be room mates. Let Finn go off and have a fun Uni experience. Let him try for a frat house and be stupid just do not dedicate a single minute more than needed to establish what Finn is up to on that storyline! and not to sound too Chris Crocker-ish: let him "LEAVE RACHEL ALONE!!"...
    Forum Member
    I'm not a Finn/Rachel shipper either.
    Forum Member
    Season 1: Jesse/Vocal Adrenaline - Bohemian Rhapsody
    Season 2: Kurt - I Wanna Hold Your Hand
    Season 3: Troubletones - Rumour Has It/Someone Like You
    Season 4: Santana - Girl On Fire
  • revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huggzy wrote: »
    Finn is 100% irrefutably not the right choice for Rachel. I've never been so invested in a show which has a main "end game" that I absolutely do not want to happen.
    I've made this point numerous times but Rachel's end game should be Broadway success. Everything she does should be motivated by that. Yes she can stumble and need her high school crush during that time but its time to move the hell on!
    I'm not fussed about Brittana and whilst I've liked Klaine whilst they were at high school, they too need to move on. If I had to chose an endgame it would be Klaine though.

Based on the previews for "Shooting Star" (when we come back in another 3 weeks...):
    It looks like Finn is off to University in Lima and it looks like Puck will be with him. I believe they are going to be room mates. Let Finn go off and have a fun Uni experience. Let him try for a frat house and be stupid just do not dedicate a single minute more than needed to establish what Finn is up to on that storyline! and not to sound too Chris Crocker-ish: let him "LEAVE RACHEL ALONE!!"...

I feel the same about Rachel/Finn. I feel like they have nothing in common at all. I'd like Brittana to end up together but I still think Santana needs to be with another girl because Brittany is so 'safe' to her. I could see Klaine being the type of couple that would stay together for good as they seemed to have a lot in common and really loved each other. (Forgetting the cheating of course, I'm still annoyed at that plot point :rolleyes:) Finn/Rachel just seemed to want to change each other at any chance they could get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the main couples Brittana was always the one I was fondest of but I also felt that they could sometimes bring out the worst in each other and although I found their breakup the saddest, I'm really enjoying single NY Santana.

With Finchel, I'm not really a fan but don't care either way what happens to them and whether or not they're endgame.

Klaine, I just cannot stand at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I love Finchel :o sorry guys :o
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this episode was definitely one of the better ones this series. And the main reason is, imo, no Will, and probably also because of no Finn, but not as much!!
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally disagree actually, Rachel's had two driving passions in her life since the pilot episode - Broadway and her love for Finn Hudson.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Totally disagree actually, Rachel's had two driving passions in her life since the pilot episode - Broadway and her love for Finn Hudson.

Sadly, this is true. I don't like the big lunk head (mostly because they insist on writing him as being everyone's hero), but Rachel has been head over heels for him since day one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »

And this is the debate we have every time it comes up :P

Can't argue that her thing for Finn was a huge motivator for her in many of her early actions but it doesn't make it the right thing for her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://glee.wikia.com/wiki/Sweet_Dreams?file=Originals.jpeg

So many feels...

Also according to that same page:
    Idina and Lea will be singing "Next to Me" by Emeli Sande which is kind of amazing if true. I have a feeling that it probably won't be as good as the original because both singers tend to be very technically fantastic and can do emotion wonderfully but work less well on pop tracks (Idina singing "You and I" always sounds a little weird to me and Lea and Britney...). Awesome song choice though and looking forward to that and a reapperance of "DSB"

If you've ever seen the music video, I can kind of imagine it being a bit of a fantasy sequence with Finn being the guy playing the drums whilst Rachel pines away and wonders around...

Damn three week break...and then the episode I am looking forward to being the second one from the break! AGAIN!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this is the debate we have every time it comes up :P

Can't argue that her thing for Finn was a huge motivator for her in many of her early actions but it doesn't make it the right thing for her

This. I personally think it's clear with some of the characters on this show that you can be in love with someone but it doesn't mean that they're really any good for you or that the relationship is a healthy one.
    http://glee.wikia.com/wiki/Sweet_Dreams?file=Originals.jpeg

So many feels...

Also according to that same page:
    Idina and Lea will be singing "Next to Me" by Emeli Sande which is kind of amazing if true. I have a feeling that it probably won't be as good as the original because both singers tend to be very technically fantastic and can do emotion wonderfully but work less well on pop tracks (Idina singing "You and I" always sounds a little weird to me and Lea and Britney...). Awesome song choice though and looking forward to that and a reapperance of "DSB"

If you've ever seen the music video, I can kind of imagine it being a bit of a fantasy sequence with Finn being the guy playing the drums whilst Rachel pines away and wonders around...

Damn three week break...and then the episode I am looking forward to being the second one from the break! AGAIN!

I just saw the spoiler picture Ryan Murphy tweeted and I kind of feel like this time last year it would have had more of an impact, but now I'm not so sure.
    Seems like a bit of an odd time to reprise DSB - I'd have thought it would be more appropriate in last year's graduation episode or the last ever episode of the show
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee is my guilty pleasure. And I loved Blaine's Wham hair :D

731f65a5-a4b3-4adc-806d-716c9ab492d2_zps41dd2e27.jpg
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »

I had that hair cut when I was younger, and designer stubble. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »

Gel Blaine Hair > Wham! Blaine Hair > Regular Darren Criss Hair > DinoProm Blaine Hair.
This discussion has been closed.