Options

Cancelled /Renew Shows & Pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I was watched a wonderful programme Defying Gravity, a TV show from 2009 which was available on WATCHEVER, the first 13 episodes were great and then I found out, IT HAS BEEN CANCELLED BY THE STUDIO, so no second series!! I watched DIRTY MONEY and it was cancelled. I remember how frustrated I was when FIREFLY was cancelled. Why do the studios cancel great shows and put on absolutely rubbish e.g. Reality Shows etc........
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watched a wonderful programme Defying Gravity, a TV show from 2009 which was available on WATCHEVER, the first 13 episodes were great and then I found out, IT HAS BEEN CANCELLED BY THE STUDIO, so no second series!! I watched DIRTY MONEY and it was cancelled. I remember how frustrated I was when FIREFLY was cancelled. Why do the studios cancel great shows and put on absolutely rubbish e.g. Reality Shows etc........

It wasn't cancelled by the studio, it was cancelled by the network. Bit of a difference. These shows didn't deliver good ratings. Not hard to understand why they were cancelled. Firefly's problem was it's ridiculous episode order that FOX decided to show it in. They never even aired the pilot as the first episode.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: Defying Gravity - a bit of googling will get you a piece written by one of the writers (or directors or producers, someone associated with the show) where they detail how Season 2 would have look. Definately one of my "if only more people had liked it, dammit" shows as I really liked their way of story telling. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It wasn't cancelled by the studio, it was cancelled by the network. Bit of a difference. These shows didn't deliver good ratings. Not hard to understand why they were cancelled. Firefly's problem was it's ridiculous episode order that FOX decided to show it in. They never even aired the pilot as the first episode.

I do love it, but to be fair, Firefly would probably have struggled even if it had been shown in the correct order. But let's no go there, I don't a load of Browncoats trying to kill me...
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    Has anything been announced regarding the future of Grey's Anatomy? I started watching for the first time 2 weeks ago and am 2 eps away from season six.

I've read Patrick (Derek) and Ellen (Meredith) have apparently signed two season contracts but nothing about the show being renewed past this season
  • Options
    TutorGirl89TutorGirl89 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    It's likely to get a fourth season for syndication purposes. .

Going to sound stupid here but what does it mean for syndication purposes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to sound stupid here but what does it mean for syndication purposes?

When a television show makes 88 episodes, it can be sold to other television channels all around the world and be shown on a continuous television schedule. It could be once a week for five days a week or several times a day. Like how Friends was on E4 or The Simpsons on Sky One. By having these 88 episodes or more now made and sold into a package, the networks that produced it and the actors that star in it will make money each time it airs through re-runs for many years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anything been announced regarding the future of Grey's Anatomy? I started watching for the first time 2 weeks ago and am 2 eps away from season six.

I've read Patrick (Derek) and Ellen (Meredith) have apparently signed two season contracts but nothing about the show being renewed past this season

Considering Grey's is one of ABC's top rated shows (for a show in it's 10th season, it's delivering 9-10 million per week and giving good demos), i can safely assure you that there is no end in sight for Meredith and the gang.
  • Options
    TutorGirl89TutorGirl89 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    When a television show makes 88 episodes, it can be sold to other television channels all around the world and be shown on a continuous television schedule. It could be once a week for five days a week or several times a day. Like how Friends was on E4 or The Simpsons on Sky One. By having these 88 episodes or more now made and sold into a package, the networks that produced it and the actors that star in it will make money each time it airs through re-runs for many years.

Thanks for explaining that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for explaining that

Your welcome:)
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has once upon a time been cancelled ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »

No, why?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering Grey's is one of ABC's top rated shows (for a show in it's 10th season, it's delivering 9-10 million per week and giving good demos), i can safely assure you that there is no end in sight for Meredith and the gang.

I think it'll be interesting to see what would happen with the show if Ellen Pompeo and/or Patrick Dempsey did ever decide to leave though. I do think they've got a strong enough supporting cast for the show to carry on though, but Greys Anatomy without a Grey ?
    No, why?

Maybe the poster isn't aware that C5 have dropped it - if anything, it seems guaranteed to get a 4th Season.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it'll be interesting to see what would happen with the show if Ellen Pompeo and/or Patrick Dempsey did ever decide to leave though. I do think they've got a strong enough supporting cast for the show to carry on though, but Greys Anatomy without a Grey ?
    Remember they've called the hospital the Grey Sloane Memorial, could get round it that way?
  • Options
    miffy_1306miffy_1306 Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for a resolution to Revolution and no darn cliffhanger

Yes! I would hate it so much if it doesn't get a proper ending. I need to know what happens!!

I am not very familiar on how cancellations work in US TV - do they get warning so they can 'end' a show properly? Will Revolution definitely make it to the end of season 2 or are the ratings so bad that they could just stop showing it? :confused:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember they've called the hospital the Grey Sloane Memorial, could get round it that way?

I was trying to avoid spoilers as the poster indicated they were only up to season 6 ;)

but yeah, that could work I think.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was trying to avoid spoilers as the poster indicated they were only up to season 6 ;)

but yeah, that could work I think.

Oh shite!! I've put it in a spoiler, can you do same?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    miffy_1306 wrote: »
    Yes! I would hate it so much if it doesn't get a proper ending. I need to know what happens!!

I am not very familiar on how cancellations work in US TV - do they get warning so they can 'end' a show properly? Will Revolution definitely make it to the end of season 2 or are the ratings so bad that they could just stop showing it? :confused:

If the ratings are truly awful they could stop production and pull the remaining episodes. Generally, the remaining episodes would be shown during the summer.

If the network is generous they may get warning or a shortened final season, but most aren't...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^exactly, it's very much a "there ain't no set way" so some series might be given a final season to round things off, others will be told 1/2 thru a season that this'll be their last (both instances allowing the writing team to craft a cracking finale) and some series won't get even a hint that the axe is raised, so give us a cliffhanger finale, only to then hear months after that ep has been broadcast that they won't be back.

Some series are (imho) ruined when they're axe without a proper ending cos it makes them unrewatchable cos there ain't no journey's end, just an unsatisfactory nothingness.
    But others get 'lucky' in that their last ep can kinda be looked at as an "end of Book/Chapter 1" so I can rewatch them and at the end I'm left wanting more but not cursing that I've wasted my time watching the show. - Firefly, Defying Gravity and Stargate Universe being prime examples of this (and I'm still holding out hope for a Stargate Universe Webseries following Eli ..... (spoilers withheld:D)
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »

Once upon a time in Wonderland is the one that will be cancelled. There was some talk whether it was just one series anyway but if it had done well it would have been renewed.

Just watched the new CW show Star Crossed. What really annoys me is that there is loud music 100% throughout the show. In the Originals they use music to great affect: here it just drowns out the dialogue. I like the lead male but won't watch again as it is really just a rehash of Roswell with no real new ideas. I prefer the Tomorrow people to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the new CW show Star Crossed. What really annoys me is that there is loud music 100% throughout the show. In the Originals they use music to great affect: here it just drowns out the dialogue.
    Got that on a usb ready to watch, will make sure to turn the volume down :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderland hasn't been cancelled at all. Not officially but it is going to be. There was an option for it to be a one series thing. Producers and writers have said that if it gets cancelled, they already planned for season 1 to end as a wrap up for everything, but if it was successful, they would expand more adventures in future seasons. Production for the show ended last month and there are still 5 episodes to air.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderland hasn't been cancelled at all. Not officially but it is going to be. There was an option for it to be a one series thing. Producers and writers have said that if it gets cancelled, they already planned for season 1 to end as a wrap up for everything, but if it was successful, they would expand more adventures in future seasons. Production for the show ended last month and there are still 5 episodes to air.

Wonderland could have been a OUAT Sliders. Each season they get exploring and adventuring in a new fantasy/story world. Though I think they've took this idea for OUAT anyway (first was Enchanted Forest, then Neverland, and upcoming Oz).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the new CW show Star Crossed....I like the lead male but won't watch again as it is really just a rehash of Roswell with no real new ideas..
    with elements of
    Smallville, ET, Forest Gump and AlienNation
    too. :D
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Shameless and House of Lies both renewed by Showtime.