Orange Breach of Contract

LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 365
Forum Member
Quick backstory: Broke up with my ex girlfriend 4 months, since then been harassed and stalked by her police are involved. With this matter i got a new number, unfortunately the ex got hold of it through a mutual friend who at the time was unaware of the issues. Harassment continue and 2 days ago the police again advised me to get a new number.

So Orange issued me with a new number yesterday, at this moment in time the only people who know my number are me, my mum, my sister and my best friend who has also recently got a new number.

The calls and texts and started again tonight from her. She is claiming that Orange have given her the number and at this moment they are the only people that could of given her the number. Is this a breach of contract by orange? Is this justifiable enough for me to get my contract cancelled?

Comments

• sunnypicklessunnypickles Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    As far as I know Orange cannot give out numbers to anyone due to data protection act. I was getting calls from an external company telling me orange had given them the number when i queried it with orange they told me my number was not given out and that they don't work with external companies. Next time they phoned I gave the external company a right rollicking to remove my number!

The only thing I can think is that either your number is on a phone data base, (I made sure my number does not go on any of these, I opted out) or your ex knows your account details and can access it either online or called them as she knew your password.

I would speak to orange about this, change your number and account password.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    She probably knows somebody who works for Orange and got them to access your file and tell her the new number assigned to it.

If you're on pay as you go switch to another network.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If police are involved, is she currently on bail? Do you have a restraining order against her? A breach of a restraining order is punishable by 5 years imprisonment and she is unlikely to get bail whilst the court case is pending if she is continuously harassing you. You should not be forced to change your number on a daily basis.
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I set the password up after we split it so she has no idea what i could be, its something i dont use for anything else. She cant of got access to my account online as i sends a text to your phone and ive never previously set it up before.

My issue is I've changed my number once before and that didnt stop them from giving the number out so what will stop them doing it again

Xela M wrote: »
    If police are involved, is she currently on bail? Do you have a restraining order against her? A breach of a restraining order is punishable by 5 years imprisonment and she is unlikely to get bail whilst the court case is pending if she is continuously harassing you. You should not be forced to change your number on a daily basis.

Unfortunately I havent yet got a restraining order in place. The police have had a word in her ear as an arrest would effect her job and more recently she had to report to the police station in order to sign some documentation to say she wouldn't contacted me, therefore she has already broke that.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said a friend gave her the number previously. I 'd look closer to home,as to where she got the number cos Orange won't have given it out..
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Orange won't have given it out..

You can't say that with certainty, especially if she has a friend working for the company.

OP, I'd certainly get a solicitor's letter drawn up to advise them of the situation and that you consider it a breach of contract because you have taken steps to ensure that nobody outside your immediate circle knows the number.

I'd be inclined to even go so far as to say in the letter you'll seek compensation. That might be enough for them to look in to it properly.
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    You said a friend gave her the number previously. I 'd look closer to home,as to where she got the number cos Orange won't have given it out..

None of the 3 people that have my new number have no contact details for her. My mum and sister hate her for what shes currently putting me through and my best friend is currently on holiday so he isnt currently using his phone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    LaFleur wrote: »
    None of the 3 people that have my new number have no contact details for her. My mum and sister hate her for what shes currently putting me through and my best friend is currently on holiday so he isnt currently using his phone

How did you pass your new number onto your mum, sister and friend? Am wondering if there's a way she could have intercepted the info?
    Forum Member
    How did you pass your new number onto your mum, sister and friend? Am wondering if there's a way she could have intercepted the info?

I texted them my number, as i said my friend has currently not got his phone, my sister is stuck in house with a broken neck none of the 3 have any contact details for her.

The only other place that has my number is Orange
    Forum Member
    I texted them my number, as i said my friend has currently not got his phone, my sister is stuck in house with a broken neck none of the 3 have any contact details for her.

The only other place that has my number is Orange

Ring Orange and ask them to tell you the date and time that your account file was last accessed, without telling them why you want the info. They should be able to see this information from accessing your file. Then compare this to the date and time they had their last conversation with you to change your number. If it's the same, it wasn't orange who gave it to her. If it was accessed again at a later point you can use this as a starting point for your complaint.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Probably a silly question but do you have Facebook? If so had you put your number on your account info? Lots of people I know don't realise that if they do their number can be found quite easily by others unless their privacy settings are set right.
  • bobgobbobgob Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She probably knows somebody who works for Orange and got them to access your file and tell her the new number assigned to it.
    Surely even an Orange employee isnt stupid enough to risk their job and possible criminal prosecution with a jail sentence ?
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The calls and texts and started again tonight from her. She is claiming that Orange have given her the number and at this moment they are the only people that could of given her the number. Is this a breach of contract by orange? Is this justifiable enough for me to get my contract cancelled?
    It very much depends upon the exact wording of the contract. If there is something in the small print saying that they reserve the right to share your information with others (or similar), then they may be able to claim that they have not breached the contract.
  • WhothamanWhothaman Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    You can't say that with certainty, especially if she has a friend working for the company.

OP, I'd certainly get a solicitor's letter drawn up to advise them of the situation and that you consider it a breach of contract because you have taken steps to ensure that nobody outside your immediate circle knows the number.

I'd be inclined to even go so far as to say in the letter you'll seek compensation. That might be enough for them to look in to it properly.

Do you think you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself?

Where does it say she has a friend working for the company? Someone suggested it as a possible reason as to how she obtained the number. The wording of your first sentence gives the impression this has already been established? And you are now suggesting he threatens them with legal action (with no proof)? Brilliant!!
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fnd it a bit strange OP that only three people have your number. How will your mates get in touch with you?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whothaman wrote: »
    Do you think you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself?

Well you've misunderstood what I was getting at, but I can't quite be arsed to explain myself at the moment so sorry about that :)
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you've misunderstood what I was getting at, but I can't quite be arsed to explain myself at the moment so sorry about that :)

That's because there is nothing to explain other than you've given crap advice based on things you've made massive assumptions about.:)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely all a person would need if they call Orange is some personal info, and a male voice of course.
  • WhothamanWhothaman Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Beau_Soir wrote: »
    That's because there is nothing to explain other than you've given crap advice based on things you've made massive assumptions about.:)

I was gonna respond but you've put it far better than I could have. Cheers!:)
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    I fnd it a bit strange OP that only three people have your number. How will your mates get in touch with you?

I'd had the number for 1 day! I was in no rush to send the number out to anyone at that time. Was meant to be seeing my friends at a barbecue over the bank holiday so was just planning on giving them the new number then thus not having to text it out to everyone.

Rang Orange today, person I spoke to just kept repeating "we have security measures in places" before telling me the number could of been gotten off a 3rd party company that Orange deals with - that made things worse tbh. Apparently a manager will call me within 4 working days.

The chap did say my file had been accessed on June 1st (the day trouble started) when I told him what had happened he backtracked and said the last time my file was accessed was 28th may.
    Forum Member
    The chap did say my file had been accessed on June 1st (the day trouble started) when I told him what had happened he backtracked and said the last time my file was accessed was 28th may.

I wouldn't wait for a call if I were you. I think you should put your complaint in writing, and tell them of your intention to take it further if it's not resolved to your satisfaction.

They need to give you a new number, and set an account password of your choosing, without which your account can't be accessed (I'm suspecting she got a male friend to ring them posing as you). I would expect them to set your account to a sensitive status so that anyone accessing it from now on is instantly aware of the need for diligence regarding the account security.

They also need to give you assurances it will never happen again. And I would suggest that you ask them to consider an appropriate goodwill gesture if they value your continued custom.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    are you taking this further with police, as you say she has broken the rules they laid down for her?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobgob wrote: »
    Surely even an Orange employee isnt stupid enough to risk their job and possible criminal prosecution with a jail sentence ?

What criminal offence do you feel has been committed?
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    I'd had the number for 1 day! I was in no rush to send the number out to anyone at that time. Was meant to be seeing my friends at a barbecue over the bank holiday so was just planning on giving them the new number then thus not having to text it out to everyone.

Rang Orange today, person I spoke to just kept repeating "we have security measures in places" before telling me the number could of been gotten off a 3rd party company that Orange deals with - that made things worse tbh. Apparently a manager will call me within 4 working days.

4 working days??? I've had MANY dealings with Orange - far far too many to count, I've spent hours on the phone to them and they've never said to me 4 working days when I've asked to speak to a manager - why so long? Why did you just say ok?

Also, what would your ex say to get your number from Orange? Put on a deep voice, tell them your name and say "Hello, I'm just calling up to get my number as I don't know what it is can you tell me?"
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Err why would Orange give out the number to someone who rang up pretending to be the OP without checking the security stuff they generally set up? Especially given the background to all this? Why would anyone ring up to ask what their own number was anyway? I'd have thought that would set alarm bells ringing with them. Any dealings I've had with Orange have always had security check questions fired at me.
    IMO the ex having a friend who works there who got the info for them is unlikely. Not worth the possibility of losing a job for them if there was either.

OP have you thought of googling yourself and any e mail addresses or usernames for forums etc to see if it comes up with your number at all?