Is it impossible for Wenger to carry on for much longer after the Bayern result

Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After the home defeat in the Champions League tonight against Bayern Munich, Arsenal now have an almost impossible mountain to climb in the return fixture in Germany.

When and should Wenger stand aside and call it quits at Arsenal, or will he stay on for a few more years, I personally think it is time for him to go and actually think he should have gone a couple of years ago.

I am not an Arsenal fan and am not trying to cause trouble, but a friend of mine is a season ticket holder and has said he truely has had enough of Wenger and wants him out.

What does everyone think.

Comments

• mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    if arsenal finshed 4th in the PL he just might get another season
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    He is living off of his past succeses now, so much so where he stated he had won 4 FA Cups with Arsenal in retort to a comment at a recent press conference.

I can't see Arsenal sacking him, especially if they finish fourth this season and get into the Champions League play offs next season.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the real problem is at boardroom level. Wenger has proved his merit, we've won absolutely nothing since Kroenke arrived on the scene. The more shares he buys, the worse we get!
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Wenger is a boards dream so he won't be going anywhere anytime soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    With the current board, very possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the home defeat in the Champions League tonight against Bayern Munich, Arsenal now have an almost impossible mountain to climb in the return fixture in Germany.

When and should Wenger stand aside and call it quits at Arsenal, or will he stay on for a few more years, I personally think it is time for him to go and actually think he should have gone a couple of years ago.

I am not an Arsenal fan and am not trying to cause trouble, but a friend of mine is a season ticket holder and has said he truely has had enough of Wenger and wants him out.

What does everyone think.

I reckon you may just be glad to see Wenger leave , as they constantly make your team ( Utd) plus all the other teams , look bland in comparison .. Arsenal are everyone's fave team to watch as they play football the other teams dream of playing . Granted the results have been up and down this season but on their day they are a joy to watch.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    I reckon you may just be glad to see Wenger leave , as they constantly make your team ( Utd) plus all the other teams , look bland in comparison .. Arsenal are everyone's fave team to watch as they play football the other teams dream of playing . Granted the results have been up and down this season but on their day they are a joy to watch.

I'd imagine a fair proportion of Arsenal fans would sacrifice 'pretty' football (which they haven't played consistently for at least 3 or 4 years now) for a few trophies.
  • UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Arsenal. I like Wenger. I don't think either are good for each other at the minute. I'd have got rid of Walcott for starters.... just my own view :rolleyes:
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Bayern are a very good side. Not like they just got beat 3-1 by Blackburn. If they got humiliated, it would have been untenable. We will see what happens in the 2nd leg. If Arsenal put up a good fight I think the players can hold their heads held high, Nothing wrong in being beaten by a better team after all. if the performance is lacklustre and they get destroyed, like AC Milan away, Wenger has to go immediately.
    Forum Member

Results are rather important, you know !

And I really doubt so many folk think Arsenal are these days better to watch then say Man Utd and Spurs.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Wenger has lost the plot as evidenced by his unusual press conference tantrum alongside poor results.

They'd be better off fighting for a cl position under a fresh manger in charge, whether that be Bould or an external candidate...
  • Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    I think people are overreacting to Arsenal's decline. To expect them to outperform Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City is unreasonable. They don't have that sort of structure. Beyond that they have been consistently the best side for a while now, with only Tottenham knocking on the door.

Expecting them to win the Champions League is also silly and if you look at the teams that have knocked them out over the years, it has always been a side that was just fundamentally better than them.

If we are talking trophies, then that leaves the FA Cup and Carling Cup, both of which are straight knockout competitions and therefore have high variability. It is easy to go this long without winning the domestic cups, particularly if you are the 3rd/4th best team entering them and don't prioritise them.

I agree that Arsenal over an 8 year period should have won a trophy or 2. Over that same 8 years period they should've also failed to make Champions League football a few times and certainly failed to make the knockout stages. It's swings and roundabouts really. If they fired Arsene 8 years ago they might've found their way to a domestic cup or two, but I'd say they would probably be a worse side than Liverpool by now. Very few managers would be able to make a side as good as Arsenal with the quality of players that leave them every year. You can't say those players would've stayed if there was someone other Arsene in charge.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member

I had a discussion about this earlier today funnily enough. This boll*cks has been spouted for years upon years now, even when Arsenal have been challenging for third and fourth and nowhere near challenging for the title or any other honors. There was a time when a case could be made for Arsenal playing 'THE BEST FOOTBALL' (even though, ya know, unless you're winning the trophies, you're not actually playing THE BEST football), that wasn't any recent time though. The media and pundits used to try to make these claims all of the time, despite Arsenal consistently being bettered by other teams. It's now got to a stage where they cant print it or say it, because they'll get laughed at, because most are finally coming to the realisation that it's sheer nonsense.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    Wenger's doing a fantastic job at Arsenal. It's just difficult for him (or any manager) when he's up against money teams like Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid, etc, who think nothing of spending £30m on one player.

When FFP comes into effect, Arsenal will be laughing, that's when people will thank Wenger for the brilliant job that he's done.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    When FFP comes into effect, Arsenal will be laughing, that's when people will thank Wenger for the brilliant job that he's done.

Do you think the other clubs won't find a way around the regulations?

We have already seen the stadium naming rights at City, i think Liverpool signed the biggest ever shirt sponsorship deal (don't quote me on that).

Clubs will find a way, and they will laugh at the FFP.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    To be honest i think Wenger will have one more season, the Arsenal board won't sack him and he is too stubborn to walk out, i think his time will be up when his contract runs out at the end of next season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think the other clubs won't find a way around the regulations?

We have already seen the stadium naming rights at City, i think Liverpool signed the biggest ever shirt sponsorship deal (don't quote me on that).

Clubs will find a way, and they will laugh at the FFP.

I agree... from the minute the FFP was put forward the lawyers/financial managers and accountants at big spending clubs have been looking for ways around and through the rules... the FFP will make very little difference imo.
    Forum Member
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Wenger's doing a fantastic job at Arsenal. It's just difficult for him (or any manager) when he's up against money teams like Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid, etc, who think nothing of spending £30m on one player.

Doing a fantastic job ?? Not from my observations and the Arsenal thread is an ongoing interesting read as to what many Arsenal supporters think.

Arsenal's supposed lack of money I notice is a debated point, though undoubtably they are not up with the super rich.

You don't need to have money though to apply some more basic organisation to a defense including international players of undoubted ability. But then defense has never really been Wenger's thing and he is rumoured to be a terrible delegater. He was probably lucky early on at Arsenal to have inherited a superb defense thst could basically organise and look after itself.

5th in the Premier League ( 21 points off the top ), knockef out of the two domestic cups by Bradford and Blackburn, and soon to be knocked out of the Champions League by an admittedly very good Bayern Munich side, is to my mind some distance from "fantastic".
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Wenger has made the board a fortune.

Likewise the board have given him the license to do what he wants -- the power he has is unthinkable.

They both are made for each other and if Arsenal were to finish fourth, he'll probably stay other year.

My problem is Wenger naively sets up his teams to focus on their strengths instead of the opposition. Like one style of football is good enough to beat anyone on any given day.

I cannot see a title challenge or a point where Arsenal will threaten to win silverware until the board get a shake up and/or Arsene leaves. Only then will the mentality change.

Season ticket renewals -- why bother? Waste of money and the club don't even bother to win trophies. Arsenal have made me realise there's a life outside football and I shouldn't stress out. Heck, yesterday's result didn't even make me feel sick. Won't be paying to these chumps anytime soon.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people can accept losing to Bayern. It's the Bradford and Blackburn results which are the problem. Of course, their last final was a League Cup defeat to Birmingham.

What is it about teams beginning with 'B'?!
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    It's been managed decline for almost a decade now; as a Spurs fan the last thing I want is Wenger to go.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Season 74 wrote: »
    I think people are overreacting to Arsenal's decline. To expect them to outperform Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City is unreasonable. They don't have that sort of structure. Beyond that they have been consistently the best side for a while now, with only Tottenham knocking on the door.

Expecting them to win the Champions League is also silly and if you look at the teams that have knocked them out over the years, it has always been a side that was just fundamentally better than them.

If we are talking trophies, then that leaves the FA Cup and Carling Cup, both of which are straight knockout competitions and therefore have high variability. It is easy to go this long without winning the domestic cups, particularly if you are the 3rd/4th best team entering them and don't prioritise them.

I agree that Arsenal over an 8 year period should have won a trophy or 2. Over that same 8 years period they should've also failed to make Champions League football a few times and certainly failed to make the knockout stages. It's swings and roundabouts really. If they fired Arsene 8 years ago they might've found their way to a domestic cup or two, but I'd say they would probably be a worse side than Liverpool by now. Very few managers would be able to make a side as good as Arsenal with the quality of players that leave them every year. You can't say those players would've stayed if there was someone other Arsene in charge.
    I just want to agree with this one hundred percent
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 74 wrote: »

I agree too. Well put.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,873
    Forum Member
    Trouble is fans demand millions to be spent to keep competiting so whilst Wenger might be putting the club's finances first in modern football that isn't seen as important for teams at the top level..

Another problem is the lack of quality within the squad...he hasn't got the unknown gems of a few years ago and they'll never be able to get the really top quality proven players.

Mind you if they are paying Walcott 100k clearly some cash is there to spend.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    I think if Arsenal grab 4th place this season, which is more than possible then he'll stay. If they miss out it will become interesting!