Options

removing ads

Comments

• Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    The problem is the user, not the PC. It sounds from your early posts that you tried to download an ad blocker and downloaded something dodgey.

what do you mean by the user??
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It looks like you downloaded this malware yourself, from the info in your first post.
    the ads on DS are SO annoying. half the time i cant even go to the next page because of them. i downloaded an adfinder but now i keep getting a pop up website nearly everytime i click on something. is there any other decent ad removers

What was the name of this "adfinder" you downloaded?
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excellent alternative adblocker is to use a modified hosts file, see here ...

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Its a bit fiddly but once set up works brilliantly.

If you do not like the messages that are left in the spaces that the ads would have been then use Homer to set up a LocalHost Web Server (see bottom of the page linked above) to replace it with a blank space.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can also use Tracking Protection in IE to turn off ads.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

He means you, him, me etc......Seems to me that when you searched for an ad blocking solution one of the false ones presented itself and you downloaded it..........Basic, but, easy mistake to make if you are not as worldly wise, or, should I say Net wise, as some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    He means you, him, me etc......Seems to me that when you searched for an ad blocking solution one of the false ones presented itself and you downloaded it..........Basic, but, easy mistake to make if you are not as worldly wise, or, should I say Net wise, as some.

Im quite advanced but only just got windows 8 so was getting a bit confused
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one on the homepage is horrible, every time I visit the page loads and drops down but the advertisement doesn't drop with it and covers the forum link, DS is the only website that freezes up for me also.

I use Adblock Plus for firefox it works great.
  • Options
    liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 Adblock Plus
  • Options
    MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting these things can be easily done unfortunately.

I had something called Search-Gol toolbar installed on the back of some free software about a month ago. It's a wicked piece of stuff, generally known as a PUP. It put various pieces of programs all over the place.

My suggestion is .....first go into Control Panel > Progams and Features and remove any program(s) that were installed on the date you had this problem.

Then do a system restore to that same date or previous ...if you can.

Then run Malwarebytes ....a deep full scan, if necessary.

You may have to manually remove some unwanted parts by doing a system search or run CCleaner after.

Edit: I've just read back and seen it's a browser extension thing so the above may be of little use.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Adblock Plus for firefox it works great.

Mafia racketeering?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/adblock-plus-accused-of-shaking-down-websites/

"They’re basically charging us for our own content.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Mafia racketeering?

What was your point? Are you supporting 'acceptable ads' or against it?
    Do you think it will Adblock Plus redundant?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Are you supporting 'acceptable ads' or against it?Do you think it will Adblock Plus redundant?
    Acceptable depending on how much cash you have?
    Adblock with their fee driven whitelist makes the web unsustainable.

Plus, I find it hard to distinguish between using ad-block and other forms of web piracy.

Talking of piracies, has anyone else noticed that Tapatalk is now inserting its own ads?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mindee wrote: »
    Getting these things can be easily done unfortunately.

I had something called Search-Gol toolbar installed on the back of some free software about a month ago. It's a wicked piece of stuff, generally known as a PUP. It put various pieces of programs all over the place.

My suggestion is .....first go into Control Panel > Progams and Features and remove any program(s) that were installed on the date you had this problem.

Then do a system restore to that same date or previous ...if you can.

Then run Malwarebytes ....a deep full scan, if necessary.

You may have to manually remove some unwanted parts by doing a system search or run CCleaner after.

Edit: I've just read back and seen it's a browser extension thing so the above may be of little use.
    i have some programmes i dont want to loose :( how do i know what date i got it on?
    do you think reinstalling the browser might help ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah bloody hell. I just got a bunch of emails that look like a virus :(
  • Options
    MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have some programmes i dont want to loose :( how do i know what date i got it on?
    do you think reinstalling the browser might help ?

It tells you the date at the side of each program installed.

....and......it's lose not loose :p

....and re: your browser ....try it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mindee wrote: »
    It tells you the date at the side of each program installed.

....and......it's lose not loose :p

....and re: your browser ....try it.

I did my browser and its fixed but i got a bunch of weird emails
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Acceptable depending on how much cash you have?
    Adblock with their fee driven whitelist makes the web unsustainable.

Plus, I find it hard to distinguish between using ad-block and other forms of web piracy.

Talking of piracies, has anyone else noticed that Tapatalk is now inserting its own ads?
    Interesting....Can't agree with your view on piracy though. Do you run a website laden with advertising?..:)
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah bloody hell. I just got a bunch of emails that look like a virus :(
    Did you follow all 4 or 5 steps to remove this infection in that link I posted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mafia racketeering?

And this should bother me why exactly?
    Look at digital spy for example .. they have infected peoples machines with malware on more than one occasion and that is a risk I'm not willing to take any more.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

a PEBKAC error

otherwise known as a PICNIC or an 'ID ten T'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you follow all 4 or 5 steps to remove this infection in that link I posted?

i re-installed google chrome and it seems to have fixed it. my brother fixed my e-mails for me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i re-installed google chrome and it seems to have fixed it. my brother fixed my e-mails for me
    Ah ok .. glad you've found a solution :)
  • Options
    FraserGJFraserGJ Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers, I might install this blocker too

Will probably only restrict it to DS though - only site I've ever had trouble with ads on. Just had 2 huge Beko ads, the full height of the screen on the left AND right of the page - could see DS through the gap in the middle - no close button or anything :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah ok .. glad you've found a solution :)

still getting the emails :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FraserGJ wrote: »
    Cheers, I might install this blocker too

Will probably only restrict it to DS though - only site I've ever had trouble with ads on. Just had 2 huge Beko ads, the full height of the screen on the left AND right of the page - could see DS through the gap in the middle - no close button or anything :rolleyes:

its ridiculous isnt it? i havent had it that bad but i could barely go onto the next pages etc and i cant see long spoiler tags without ads being in them