Get rid of the themes

sgeandhusgeandhu Posts: 1,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What do you think?

Should they stop doing theme weeks? 47 votes

Yes
78%
lulu gMaster OzzyDave3622[Deleted User]sycamoreclara_sMacartistStuart1000aclevernamesuspect10VoldaljulsgeandhuFusionFuryIsItThatDeepRyan11Luxrayswan007xeo[Deleted User] 37 votes
No
12%
[Deleted User]sheepiestarAvalancheD. MorganMrsGraham[Deleted User] 6 votes
Not sure
8%
earldbestSoppyfan[Deleted User]NathanScott 4 votes

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    theres a thread on this every week now

don't blame the themes for poor song choices by the show , the themes give the show structure and focus

keep themes but pick more generic ones that allow more freedom of choice , but even that wont help if they keep recycling the same old dirges every year

we have had themes this year like love and heartache, movies, great british songbook etc etc that gave all of the acts more than enough freedom to pick suitable songs if it was possible to do so , but we still got the same tired choices

people seem to think scrapping themes will magically allow acts to make great, innovative song choices, when there is zero evidence to suggest that will actually happen
  • benbeez1benbeez1 Posts: 18,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes get rid they are tedious , let them sing what they want every week >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Yes
    If the producers really want to see acts form and show their identities, they should not have themes. First Judges say they want to see versatility, then they say they should stick with the kind of music they would put on an album. When someone takes a theme and makes it into their music (rock song to ballad etc), they are criticised. When they stick closer to the original song, they are told that they are out of their comfort zone and it did not suit them.

If they get rid of themes they get a more interesting show, hear what acts want on their albums, get the best (you would hope) from the acts..... And the public can make a more informed choice about who they want to win and what type of album will be on the charts the following year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the themes should be dropped at the quarters/ semi's. If they're in the running to seriously win then they should have more creative control
  • sgeandhusgeandhu Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think the themes should be dropped at the quarters/ semi's. If they're in the running to seriously win then they should have more creative control

I'd agree with this.

Also themes should not be too narrow (like a single artist) or too wide (like Great British Songbook week).

If we are going to have themes then let be a genre eg rock or type of song eg ballad/upbeat.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Drumrue wrote: »
    If the producers really want to see acts form and show their identities, they should not have themes. First Judges say they want to see versatility, then they say they should stick with the kind of music they would put on an album. When someone takes a theme and makes it into their music (rock song to ballad etc), they are criticised. When they stick closer to the original song, they are told that they are out of their comfort zone and it did not suit them.

If they get rid of themes they get a more interesting show, hear what acts want on their albums, get the best (you would hope) from the acts..... And the public can make a more informed choice about who they want to win and what type of album will be on the charts the following year

but they can do all of that and still have themes , they just have to show some creativity when picking the theme

look at last week , we basically had no restrictions on song choices by the themes , there was a free choice of songs for the three options for the jukebox , and then we had a "heroes" theme which in theory should have allowed each act to do specifically what you want, pick songs from the style of music they are interested in or influenced by

and we still got boring song choices
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It would make the show better it would allow each contestant to be an individual. An each of them can try out different genres as they wish but stick to the songs they can see themselves release the direction they want to head in musically. Maybe some occasional theme weeks.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Themes set quite a good structure...when they are actually good themes.

If the themes aren't there, singers would just pick the same type of song each week and it would all become dull very quickly.
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    theres a thread on this every week now

don't blame the themes for poor song choices by the show , the themes give the show structure and focus

keep themes but pick more generic ones that allow more freedom of choice , but even that wont help if they keep recycling the same old dirges every year

we have had themes this year like love and heartache, movies, great british songbook etc etc that gave all of the acts more than enough freedom to pick suitable songs if it was possible to do so , but we still got the same tired choices

people seem to think scrapping themes will magically allow acts to make great, innovative song choices, when there is zero evidence to suggest that will actually happen

That's a great post and I agree with you that broad themes are perfectly fine, but I do think things like big band, 80s and specific artist themes need to go, they're far too narrow and hurt acts that don't suit them. And especially what you say about needing broader song choices, it's turning into the most turgid, dire, predictable drivel now.
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes - themes have completely ruined acts like Abi, and hurt others like Tamera. I'm sure Tamera didn't want to do ballads from decades ago every week. Don't even get me started about big band week. It annoys me when judges criticise acts for not being versatile, you don't need to be versatile to be successful.
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should just change the themes

Upbeat week...

Dirge week

Power ballad week

The song that has never been used before week

The song that is used every single series week
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure
    Themes are good because they force you to adapt and stretch what you have, but your performance will only be as good as your song choice. Themes will work only if there is creative input from the acts themselves, and no external forces stopping you from unleashing what you can do.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would reduce them, it is a good idea to guide them each week and show how versatile they are, but for the first week and then maybe semi's week I would let them choose so that the voters know what kind of music they want to do after the show. In the real world I think RC and Luke are the most commercial, Sam will get a deal and maybe go into the West End, little Nick hasn't shown enough personality or performance to really go anywhere even though he has a good voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Yes
    This was one of the most ridiculous themes ever. I think at this stage of the competition the contestants should be singing the sort of songs they'd sing if they were to become an artist.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,643
    Forum Member
    Yes
    I'd stop having them every week and maybe have one or two per series, to add interest and variety and a bit of a challenge.