Dear Channel 4 - Please stop hiring people who cannot do their jobs

MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After tonights debacle with BBBM and Bianca Gascgoine (sp?) I am feeling totally and utterly fed up. Whether it's sad, or unhealthy, or whatever, I don't care, I love being part of the big brother viewership, and being part of that group means taking part in watching all the shows, as well as all the spin offs. Every single day i'd happily settle down to watch BBLB, and when BBBM became a feature I'd make sure I didn't miss any. I'd record them, giggle at them, scream at them when a particularly idiotic member of the public was ranting...but above all, apart from the dreadful 'gnomecam' and its variants, I loved those shows.

Whoever, or whatever, is deciding on the people that are being hired to present these shows this year, I would like to thank them in a way, because at least now I have a lot more time to live my life as I don't have to bother making time to watch BBLB or BBBM. On the flipside, I would also like to say that they have taken two shows away from me that I previously loved. The last time I enjoyed BBBM was when Matt Horne and James Corden presented it, and I cannot bear to watch BBLB now, it's just horrific.

So please, people, do we not deserve an explanation as to why we are being subjected to substandard, even woeful viewing day in day out? Do they think we're such cross eyed idiots that we don't need any standards to be maintained in our shows? I say we revolt against this, revolt against zezi, george, and the endless ream of AWFUL guest presenters on BBBM. Channel 4, listen to the people that have been loyal all these years, treat us with respect, and we will watch your shows and give you those precious viewing figures.

Comments

• i4ui4u Posts: 54,933
    Forum Member
    It does look like a deliberate policy....or could it be the people selecting and hiring people aren't very good at their job ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,517
    Forum Member
    The idea that BB/C4/Endemol owe any kind of loyalty to DS is farcical - DS over hysterical reaction to BB events have caused them more trouble than we can imagine.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IF the first poster is talking about Caroline Flack, then I'd say she was pretty good at her job. I've seen her on Big Brother's Big Mouth, and she certainly has the confidence to host shows. I admit, Zezi seems a little more nervous that Caroline does, infact, she seems like she's going to audition in front of the X-factor judges for the first time. But Caroline is perfectly okay in my opinion. Assuming this is what the first poster is talking about.
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    It does look like a deliberate policy....or could it be the people selecting and hiring people aren't very good at their job ?
    They like to kid themselves on that they are "pushing the envelope". Mission statement: "If it aint broke........break it."

Childish bunch of tossers. "How cool are we..................?"
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Zezi is utterly dire. George is totally lacking charisma, obviously has no interest in BB and looks like he's about to fall asleep. Now Bianca Gascoigne. I mean - WTF!? Looks like the BB spinoffs are just used by socialites and WAGs with connections to up their profiles. When you think of the high standard we had a mere 18 months ago (Russell on BBBM, Dermot on BBLB), it's shocking how quickly the BBUK franchise has deteriorated :eek:
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Sofa Spud wrote: »
    The idea that BB/C4/Endemol owe any kind of loyalty to DS is farcical - DS over hysterical reaction to BB events have caused them more trouble than we can imagine.

I don't think the OP means "we" as in "DS members", but "we" as in "BB viewers".

There is no real difference, except that the former category is a sub-category of the latter, who choose to discuss BB on a forum. I expect the chanel 4 forums have had the same impact. The Op does not appear to be suggesting that the producers "owe" us anything. Of course they do not, but it does no harm to register a view point if we are not happy with the product. That is what the forum is for and why, as you point out, it has had influence in the past...

I don't know how bad BBBM and BBLB have got. I haven't watched either much since Russel and Dermot left. Both were iconic presenters and tough acts to follow, particularly Russel. Dermon got on a lot of people's nerves for his clearly partisan viewpoints, whilst Russel endeared himself to many by actually being quite fair. I miss Russel, I don't miss Dermot, but he was probably a better presenter than they have now. I likewise have more time to do other stuff :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBBM was Russell Brand...he owned it to such an extent that there isnt a presenter in the country that could step in and make it as watchable as when he ruled the BB roost every night ....but it doesnt help that to fill the void he left,
    C4 have constantly selected an array of the most talentless, charisma-free, mediawhore gobsh*tes in the UK..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    IF the first poster is talking about Caroline Flack, then I'd say she was pretty good at her job. I've seen her on Big Brother's Big Mouth, and she certainly has the confidence to host shows. I admit, Zezi seems a little more nervous that Caroline does, infact, she seems like she's going to audition in front of the X-factor judges for the first time. But Caroline is perfectly okay in my opinion. Assuming this is what the first poster is talking about.

No. They are talking about the terrible woman who presented BBBM last night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no its people in that agents books (the real BB) hes got luke ready to signup why do you think hes getting such great h/l shows..
    BB is Bent pure and simple
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »

Caroline has been pretty good - so i dont think the o.p is talking about her.

I think its Bianca Gascoine who presented yday that the o.p is on about.

she was even worse that zezi. :eek:
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, I've stopped watching all the peripheral shows now as they are too painful to sit through. Is Ian Wright coming back? He was so good last year.
  • xChErRy-DrOpSxxChErRy-DrOpSx Posts: 4,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    I agree, I've stopped watching all the peripheral shows now as they are too painful to sit through. Is Ian Wright coming back? He was so good last year.

NO caroline Flack is the best so far!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedian Michael McIntyre is presenting it next week.....heard big things about him - saw him at the Edinburgh fringe and thought he was shi*e.......not sure what his on-screen skills will be like?......hopefully better than his stand-up
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Micheal McIntyre was brilliant on "The apprentice - you're fired!" and was pretty good on "Have I got news for you" - but I'm not so sure how well he will work as a host - still got to be better than someone hired simply for being related to someone else famous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fairly obvious that the hiring manager for BB at Endemol believes talent is something that rubs off by association.

That's why you have friends and relatives of Z-listers being hired for the job, rather than real talent. I remember the first BBBM (the only one I could stand to watch) Zezi was introduced and one of the things they mentioned of her 'profile' was being a friend of Lilly Allen.

It's as though listing Lilly Allen on your CV, or in someway being related to a sports/music personality is a qualifier for a presenters job these days.

I'm sick of seeing all these elite talentless yuppies from Soho and Chealsea completely ruining hosted TV formats.

I have no problem with someone I don't know, but for BB's sake get someone who can actually present, who can listen to a producer and talk at the same time and who can laugh at their own gaffs (when misspeaking).

Laughing at your own gaffs and rolling with it are very important IMO. Makes a world of difference to someone who simply stands there and goes "err... um...".

Making a big show of a slip up is actually a skill in itself and helps everyone to feel at ease, that the presenter has it all in control.
  • skimpy_scampiskimpy_scampi Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There doesn't seem to be the training ground for Channel 4 presenters that there is for the likes of the BBC and ITV. Many there came up through doing Children's programmes, both live Saturday morning, factual programmes and fillers. Putting someone on with limited experience, especially if they're not quick witted, is a recipe for disaster. You may not like Andi Peters, Philip Schofield or Ferne Cotton - but at least they are professional, have a natural skill for presenting and seem to have an interest in what they are doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big cook little cook from last year were good too
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I must admit I didn't see last night's show (rarely watch it these days) & when I saw the Bianca threads last night I assumed she'd been a particularly crap guest. Then I read the threads. *shakes head in disbelief*. It's bad enough having random zelebs as guests but when they hire them to actually present the show.........well it's just taking the piss really, isn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    yeah gotta agree really, aside from Caroline Flack most of the presenters on the peripheral shows are just embarassingly bad. Bianca Gascoigne last night being a particularly prime example - yoinks! terrible.

Back in the day the Russell Brand BBBM and the Dermot BBLB were often better than the main programme but these days i can't even watch them due, in the main, to terrible presenters.

peace

c
  • Billy NomatesBilly Nomates Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Think of the money they save not having to employ a "real" presenter.

TV companies do not care one iota about their viewers.

They are arrogant enough to think you will watch regardless.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There doesn't seem to be the training ground for Channel 4 presenters that there is for the likes of the BBC and ITV. Many there came up through doing Children's programmes, both live Saturday morning, factual programmes and fillers. Putting someone on with limited experience, especially if they're not quick witted, is a recipe for disaster. You may not like Andi Peters, Philip Schofield or Ferne Cotton - but at least they are professional, have a natural skill for presenting and seem to have an interest in what they are doing.

George & Zezi both came from the "training ground" that is Freshly Squeezed but they weren't the presenters of choice on that show (Alexa Chung, Rick Edwards & Nick Grimshaw were, all much better presenters).

I guess BBLB was turned down by all the more experienced presenters whilst on BBBM only seasoned professionals like Moyles can really cope. Throwing inexperienced zelebs like Gascoigne in is a big mistake.
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    The thing is there are a lot of talented presenters on some of the cable channels - give them a shot. Dermot had done T4 and some other stuff but BBLB was his area to grow and I doubt he would EVER have got X Factor without what he learnt from the show. It was inevitable he would move on... George Lamb has surprised me, he is very lacklustre and just seems to want to further his career, rather than be interested in the show. Even if Dermot took on the job to get further at his art, you cannot deny he seemed interested in BB and that was half the battle.

I cannot believe Zezi was not screen tested. I had concerns about her when I saw the army barracks ad before the show even started. She didn't even shout "Yes Sir" on cue in that.

Caroline Flack was great on BBBM but I think she would have been far more suited to BBLB - they could have rebranded the show to Big Brothers Little Sister or even called it a different name. By continuing to use the BBLB brand with two crummy presenters, the life is being sucked out of the show.

Bianca Gascoigne was awful as a guest a couple of weeks ago, I doubt very much she would be able to run it as a presenter, so I didn't even bother tuning in. Why not give the gig to Alison Hammond, Kate Lawler or Brian Dowling - I am not a fan of the latter two but surely they have more live TV experience than the likes of Gascoigne !!

BB really needs to rethink the shows!
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awf wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious that the hiring manager for BB at Endemol believes talent is something that rubs off by association.

That's why you have friends and relatives of Z-listers being hired for the job, rather than real talent. I remember the first BBBM (the only one I could stand to watch) Zezi was introduced and one of the things they mentioned of her 'profile' was being a friend of Lilly Allen.

It's as though listing Lilly Allen on your CV, or in someway being related to a sports/music personality is a qualifier for a presenters job these days.

I'm sick of seeing all these elite talentless yuppies from Soho and Chealsea completely ruining hosted TV formats.

I have no problem with someone I don't know, but for BB's sake get someone who can actually present, who can listen to a producer and talk at the same time and who can laugh at their own gaffs (when misspeaking).

Laughing at your own gaffs and rolling with it are very important IMO. Makes a world of difference to someone who simply stands there and goes "err... um...".

Making a big show of a slip up is actually a skill in itself and helps everyone to feel at ease, that the presenter has it all in control.

Thats the thing that angers me the most I think, as if the viewing public are the same as the stupid kids that go 'wow, cool, she's friends with her!'. Lily Allen has her own show and she's rotten on it, so why would Zezi be any better by association with her?

And I totally agree about the cock up scenario. In my job if you mess up, you have to stay calm and sort it out, if you panic, hundreds of people can see you and it makes a mockery of you, but if you just calmly sort it out, even with a bit of cockiness, you get away with it, people even have a bit of respect for you!

And to answer a couple earlier questions, I don't believe DS is owed anything, I think the viewing public is owed a certain standard of broadcasting and the respect of a good presenter being employed. And whoever got the idea I was slagging off Caroline Flack is way off the mark, I actually said 'BIANCA'.
  • MalcalMalcal Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The company is run my 12 year olds, clearly. It's the only thing that can explain it.