Options

Problems since the channel change

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
Forum Member
Since the retune last week I have found the following
problems with my 9200T :-

1) BBC4 & 3 epg does not populate if I leave it on BBC 1. If I switch to these channels then the epg populates.

2) On two occasions a scheduled recording on BBC1 failed to start, The 1st was an episode of Criminal Justice last week and the other was (far more serious for me) Strictly on Sat 10th

I did a complete manual tune when the reallocation occurred and I have a single blank 800 channel. I use series link.

Anyone else found these problems

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I have a 9200t.
    1) EPG of BBC3 and BBC4 populates ok from BBC1 - I just tried this from standby.
    2) My 9200t recorded *all* episodes of Criminal Justice last week, but missed a few seconds at the start every time!
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbnix wrote: »
    Since the retune last week I have found the following
    problems with my 9200T :-

1) BBC4 & 3 epg does not populate if I leave it on BBC 1. If I switch to these channels then the epg populates.

2) On two occasions a scheduled recording on BBC1 failed to start, The 1st was an episode of Criminal Justice last week and the other was (far more serious for me) Strictly on Sat 10th

You are probably receiving from more than one transmitter and you need to do a manual tune to resolve the problem. A quick search of the forum should turn up plenty of instructions.
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    aks100 wrote: »
    I have a 9200t.
    2) My 9200t recorded *all* episodes of Criminal Justice last week, but missed a few seconds at the start every time!
    There are issues with the Humax PVRs which a) cause the start of recordings to be delayed up to about 1 minute after the start signal is transmitted by the broadcaster and b) under certain conditions the programmes which run late are terminated prematurely at their scheduled end times. These issues apply if the recordings are set to record "On Time" i.e. Series Link/Accurate Recording is enabled. These issues have been discussed extensively in the thread here.

Colin
  • Options
    tony190tony190 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote: »
    There are issues with the Humax PVRs which a) cause the start of recordings to be delayed up to about 1 minute after the start signal is transmitted by the broadcaster and b) under certain conditions the programmes which run late are terminated prematurely at their scheduled end times. These issues apply if the recordings are set to record "On Time" i.e. Series Link/Accurate Recording is enabled. These issues have been discussed extensively in the thread here.

Colin

I don't know about you,but I find if I leave the channel I wish to record from on the hummy before switching to standby I don't get as many missed bits as I did before, the only problem is if I want to record two progs at once from different MUX's
  • Options
    coulrophobecoulrophobe Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    tony190 wrote: »
    I don't know about you,but I find if I leave the channel I wish to record from on the hummy before switching to standby I don't get as many missed bits as I did before.

This is exactly my experience. I found the missed starts were worse when the pvr was switched off when tuned to slow epg loading channels such as Virgin. I now try to always leave the pvr tuned to either the target channel or BBC1, and very rarely lose a start.

Possibly coincidence, who knows?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is exactly my experience. I found the missed starts were worse when the pvr was switched off when tuned to slow epg loading channels such as Virgin. I now try to always leave the pvr tuned to either the target channel or BBC1, and very rarely lose a start.

Possibly coincidence, who knows?:)
    Virtually all the tests I did and reported in the linked thread were with the unit fully switched on so conditions in standby were not relevant.

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Virtually all the tests I did and reported in the linked thread were with the unit fully switched on so conditions in standby were not relevant.

Colin

Conversely, I have never recorded anything with the unit fully switched on. I have never experienced late starts of anything like 60 seconds, 10 to 15 secs at the very most, usually just into the titles. I never miss ends either, but there again I very rarely set possibly overlapping reservations

There are so many variables involved that it is not surprising that our experiences differ. Favourably, in my case.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Conversely, I have never recorded anything with the unit fully switched on. I have never experienced late starts of anything like 60 seconds, 10 to 15 secs at the very most, usually just into the titles. I never miss ends either, but there again I very rarely set possibly overlapping reservations

There are so many variables involved that it is not surprising that our experiences differ. Favourably, in my case.:)
    I'll do some test recordings in standby and see if I notice any difference. Although it would not be a useful solution for me even if it worked as we record many programmes in the evenings whilst watching others,

Colin
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll do some test recordings in standby and see if I notice any difference. Although it would not be a useful solution for me even if it worked as we record many programmes in the evenings whilst watching others,

Colin
    That sounds like a reason why it would be useful to you, could you explain a bit further.
    If alternative broadcasts are recorded when you would not normally be watching TV then that leaves the PVR's tuners free to watch what ever you want and allow for some adhoc recording.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Colin

Please don't take my comments as a challenge to your exhaustive series of tests.:) They are simply comments.

Out of interest, I have now remembered that I do record one programme while the box is out of standby, this being the second Corrie on Monday and Friday. I found that I invariably missed the openings of these two episodes, as the box seemed to start recording at the scheduled time rather than the actual start. As these episodes nearly always start early, the first bit was nearly always missing. I get round this by manually setting the box to record from 20:29 and over the last nine months or so, have always caught the start, usually as the sponsors jingle is ending.
    Losing series link is no problem as the other episodes are watched live.

I hope this adds to the jigsaw.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this site is suffering from a severe attack of the Humax virus. It took me half an hour to post the above:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Colin
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    That sounds like a reason why it would be useful to you, could you explain a bit further.
    If alternative broadcasts are recorded when you would not normally be watching TV then that leaves the PVR's tuners free to watch what ever you want and allow for some adhoc recording.

Maybe I should have made it clear that typically the programmes we are "watching" are recordings made the same evening and "viewed" soon after completion or before they have finished using Chase Play. We (or at least I) very rarely watch Live TV. We (collectively) watch about 4 hours of scheduled time programmes in about a 3 hour period so virtually all the time we are viewing we are also recording, so no opportunity for using standby recording.

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please don't take my comments as a challenge to your exhaustive series of tests.:) They are simply comments.

Out of interest, I have now remembered that I do record one programme while the box is out of standby, this being the second Corrie on Monday and Friday. I found that I invariably missed the openings of these two episodes, as the box seemed to start recording at the scheduled time rather than the actual start. As these episodes nearly always start early, the first bit was nearly always missing. I get round this by manually setting the box to record from 20:29 and over the last nine months or so, have always caught the start, usually as the sponsors jingle is ending.
    Losing series link is no problem as the other episodes are watched live.

I hope this adds to the jigsaw.:)
    I'm afraid I couldn't stand watching commercial programmes live, having got used to skipping through adverts, theme tunes and other dross.

Are you just selectively setting isolated recordings manually and otherwise have all recordings set the "On Time" in the Record menu? Excuse me mentioning it but you do realise that the late starts discussed above only applies to recordings set in this mode i.e. with Accurate Recording enabled?

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you just selectively setting isolated recordings manually and otherwise have all recordings set the "On Time" in the Record menu? Excuse me mentioning it but you do realise that the late starts discussed above only applies to recordings set in this mode i.e. with Accurate Recording enabled?

Colin

I record everything "On Time" with the single exception detailed above, which is set manually because of repeated late starts when "On Time" was used.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    creddish likes saying upto 1 minute ... without adding only very occasionally. :(

The 'upto' is supposed to indicate 'very occasionally' ... ;)
    I have never experienced late starts of anything like 60 seconds, 10 to 15 secs at the very most, usually just into the titles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wgmorg wrote: »
    creddish likes saying upto 1 minute ... without adding only very occasionally. :(

The 'upto' is supposed to indicate 'very occasionally' ... ;)
    My intention is that "up to one minute" means what it says. i.e. any value between zero and 1 minute. Values between zero and 59s occur virtually every time so nearly 100% of the time, certainly not "occasionally" If I was to say "up to one minute occasionally" then that would mean it was some other value outside of that range most of the time which is not correct. I could say "a delay of 59s occurs occasionally" but that does not describe what occurs most of the time so is a pointless statement. The phrase "up to 1 minute" is the most concise way to express what I mean that I can think of. If anyone would like to suggest a better way of saying it then I'm happy to comply.

I'd like to avoid this futile debate every time I make that comment. (Ooops my mistake, I don't mean "every" time I make the comment, just nearly every time ;))

Colin
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Just like in a sale "upto 75% off" means occasionally 75% off but mostly 10% or 20% off - but never 76% or more off :D
    I agree Colin need only explain once the meaning of his concise phrase, it does cover the results observed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should have made it clear that typically the programmes we are "watching" are recordings made the same evening and "viewed" soon after completion or before they have finished using Chase Play. We (or at least I) very rarely watch Live TV. We (collectively) watch about 4 hours of scheduled time programmes in about a 3 hour period so virtually all the time we are viewing we are also recording, so no opportunity for using standby recording.

Colin
    I agree - this is the only way to use a PVR if you want to maximise your programme viewing content. Live TV, what's that? :D

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My intention is that "up to one minute" means what it says. i.e. any value between zero and 1 minute. Values between zero and 59s occur virtually every time so nearly 100% of the time, certainly not "occasionally" If I was to say "up to one minute occasionally" then that would mean it was some other value outside of that range most of the time which is not correct. I could say "a delay of 59s occurs occasionally" but that does not describe what occurs most of the time so is a pointless statement. The phrase "up to 1 minute" is the most concise way to express what I mean that I can think of. If anyone would like to suggest a better way of saying it then I'm happy to comply.

I'd like to avoid this futile debate every time I make that comment. (Ooops my mistake, I don't mean "every" time I make the comment, just nearly every time ;))

Colin

I understand exactly what Creddish means, having digested his experimental results, but I can see that 'up to one minute'. although accurate, can give a misleading impression.

What's wrong with 'A delay can occur, occasionally up to one minute'.

This sentence establishes both facts clearly to my mind, but to others, more devious than I, who knows?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony190 wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I find if I leave the channel I wish to record from on the hummy before switching to standby I don't get as many missed bits as I did before, the only problem is if I want to record two progs at once from different MUX's
    I'm not sure if that could work or whether it is just coincidence, (someone has to be continuously lucky).
    I usually record from stand-by and when I bring the box out of stand-by it is always tuned to the last channel recorded. I've been presuming that **if** it chooses the last tuned channel to check the EITp/f data then this will change when the next stand-by recording takes place. As that was just an assumption of mine, I think I'll try tuning it to always tuning it to MUX 1 before I put it in stand-by a see if I can tell the difference. I’m choosing MUX 1 because the Humax handles the EPG Schedule from that MUX better than the others so I’m guessing that EITp/f from MUX 1 woulld also be to the Humax's liking.

Only problem is that I don't particularly have an issue with late starts from stand-by and so I may not notice any difference! Perhaps I should instead be tuning to MUX A to find out how bad I can make it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with 'A delay can occur, occasionally up to one minute'.
    That could be mis-interpreted as meaning that a delay is occasional, whereas it occurs on most occasions.

Colin
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    That would not have the true intent of the phrase used... :rolleyes:
    This sentence establishes both facts clearly to my mind, but to others, more devious than I, who knows?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    I agree - this is the only way to use a PVR if you want to maximise your programme viewing content. Live TV, what's that? :D
    There are other strategies to avoid 'Live TV'.

I record programmes and then later decide what has the highest priority for the time/situation from a selection of unwatched but recorded programmes. I find that doing that "maximises my programme viewing content".

What I was suprised at were how low the BARB 2008 figures for non-Live TV watching are as reported in Ofcom's Communication Market Report 2009 http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/cm/cmr09/CMRMain_1.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That could be mis-interpreted as meaning that a delay is occasional, whereas it occurs on most occasions.

Colin

The subject of the sentence is 'A delay'
    The sentence states 1 This can occur. 2 It may occasionally be up to one minute.

How can that be mis-interpreted?

Maybe wgmorg is right!

[/QUOTE] That would not have the true intent of the phrase used...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Colin

The subject of the sentence is 'A delay'
    The sentence states 1 It can occur. 2 It may occasionally be up to one minute.

How can that be mis-interpreted?

Maybe wgmorg is right!

[/QUOTE] That would not have the true intent of the phrase used... [/QUOTE]