Options

Frankie Boyle - why can't the complainers just accept...

The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...that different people have different senses of humour, and that this is supposed to be a free country?

Society is not some Godlike force we should all bow and scrape to - it's the name we give to the collective of people. And some of those people find Frankie Boyle funny (while also being aware that, as the middle-class seem unable to grasp, Boyle isn't trying to implant some evil viewpoint in people's minds; he's just telling edgy jokes that some people like, while others may not). With this in mind, Frankie Boyle and his fans are just as much a part of society as everyone else, so all this outrage is both ignorant and unnecessary. Maybe his jokes don't tally with "the values of society" but that should be interpreted as "the vales of parts of society."

Boyle told a joke about a disabled child. Okay, some people were offended. I was offended by jokes he told about Jade Goody. Know what I did about it? I just waited for him to change the subject. It's not like he believes what he says (I doubt he has any sort of issue with disabled people, or Jade Goody for that matter).

I am sticking up for Frankie Boyle, because he's a comic, not some evil preacher of hatred as the right-wing media seem to think. Maybe he's a distasteful comic, but he appeals to some otherwise he wouldn't sell DVDs. The rest need to realise that a distasteful joke is not the same as evil propaganda, and learn to ignore what they don't like.

Comments

• Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...it's a free country....

So people are free to complain then.:)

TBH, while I find Frankie Boyle desperately unfunny, I do think there's been too much hoo-ha about his latest attempt to gain more publicity. The best reaction everyone could give him is to completely ignore it - and him - if they're that offended. I bet he's loving all the hatred which is being spewed at him.

However, I still stand by my point that if it's a free country and he's therefore allowed to say what he wants, then that means that people are also equally allowed to complain about what he says.

I think Boyle's desperation to shock just comes across as a bit desperate really.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post. I agree and I thought it was funny. :D
    So do these posters, dunno what happened at first though! ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what sells his DVD's more is that people see him on Mock the Week and see a funnier side.
    His stand up is pretty shite and nothing particularly funny, same as with his new show which uses the standup material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avidreader wrote: »
    ...it's a free country....

So people are free to complain then.:)

Yes...but some seem to want censorship or restriction on what he can say.
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member

I quite agree.

Most of the complainers are Daily Mail/Sun readers who bleat about civil liberties until something happens that they dont like.

At this point they become OUTRAGED!!! and wish to see THIS FILTH BANNED!!!!:mad:
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People just love to moan, haven't you seen the arguments on the crime topics in GD? :rolleyes::)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair point. I actually edited my previous post to take that into account. I don't believe in censorship in such cases. People should vote with their feet. Refuse to buy his products, refuse to watch shows with him in if they're that offended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People just love to moan, haven't you seen the arguments on the crime topics in GD? :rolleyes::)

Don't get me started on crime.

I did a two-year diploma in criminology but some people disregard this because "they read in the Sun that restorative justice is soft justice!"

Ignorance rules.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I posted in another thread.

Boyle is doing what he became famous for, I put the blame on C4 for thinking this was a good idea in the first place,apart from the shock value his show offers nothing.

boyle will come out of this with his fanbase still 100% there for him C4's rep I think is another matter they are in total freefall at the moment and putting this show on its main channel was a mistake because its not pulling in enough viewers to justify the subject matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get me started on crime.

I did a two-year diploma in criminology but some people disregard this because "they read in the Sun that restorative justice is soft justice!"

Ignorance rules.

Very true, Sadly.

A lot of people just read the headlines, without actually bothering to find out the finer details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

Boyle is doing what he became famous for, I put the blame on C4 for thinking this was a good idea in the first place,apart from the shock value his show offers nothing.

Except giving his fanbase a weekly show to see him on - which is kinda the point of such a show, isn't it?
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another FB thread? Every single point in the OP's post has already been discussed, dissected, analysed and argued over to the nth degree in the existing 5 million threads already on here.

Last week's news.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »

boyle will come out of this with his fanbase still 100% there for him C4's rep I think is another matter they are in total freefall at the moment and putting this show on its main channel was a mistake because its not pulling in enough viewers to justify the subject matter.

Channel4 is known for sinking to low depths when it comes to what they broadcast.
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Channel4 is known for sinking to low depths when it comes to what they broadcast.

Well quite.

Any channel that broadcast Big Brother has much to be ashamed of.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...that different people have different senses of humour, and that this is supposed to be a free country?

Society is not some Godlike force we should all bow and scrape to - it's the name we give to the collective of people. And some of those people find Frankie Boyle funny (while also being aware that, as the middle-class seem unable to grasp, Boyle isn't trying to implant some evil viewpoint in people's minds; he's just telling edgy jokes that some people like, while others may not). With this in mind, Frankie Boyle and his fans are just as much a part of society as everyone else, so all this outrage is both ignorant and unnecessary. Maybe his jokes don't tally with "the values of society" but that should be interpreted as "the vales of parts of society."

Boyle told a joke about a disabled child. Okay, some people were offended. I was offended by jokes he told about Jade Goody. Know what I did about it? I just waited for him to change the subject. It's not like he believes what he says (I doubt he has any sort of issue with disabled people, or Jade Goody for that matter).

I am sticking up for Frankie Boyle, because he's a comic, not some evil preacher of hatred as the right-wing media seem to think. Maybe he's a distasteful comic, but he appeals to some otherwise he wouldn't sell DVDs. The rest need to realise that a distasteful joke is not the same as evil propaganda, and learn to ignore what they don't like.

People are accepting that FB is a bit of a t*at who feels he has to tell 'jokes' which don't actually make sense to get a ruse. Just like they'd accept that he could and has said funny things without going to such ostensibly arduous lengths.
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "its a free country"

That statement applies to me and my right to find him distasteful and unfunny with this crap, hes doing it for the headlines as his shows arent getting that great viewing figures and niether are his dvds apparently, its for the publicity "omg lets be outrageous and grab some headlines", hes been a dick, and in this "free country" im entitled to say that.

Also why presume its only the middle classes who have a problem with him? im working class and proud of it and still find him awfully pathetic so dont make such huge generalisations thank you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least four threads in Showbiz, another one in GD and another one in TV programmes are probably enough for people to share their great thoughts on Boyles humour and the possible responses to it. There is not one word in the OP that expresses something that has not been said literally a hundred times already in the past week.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice Starter post, ill be buying his DvD i jsut seen the commercial for it :D
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I like FB but he's funnier on MTW/Apollo TBH, he still uses dark humour but it seems less nasty than this show - even the infamous "Animals" routine :D :eek:
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I like FB but he's funnier on MTW/Apollo TBH, he still uses dark humour but it seems less nasty than this show - even the infamous "Animals" routine :D :eek:

Yeh true on Mock the Week hes brilliant, on his new shows he tries a little to hard and does the extreme shock stuff, but i love him anyway.
  • Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    he has the freedom to say stuff about other people, other people have the freedom to say stuff about him in response, if his fans are too dim to grasp that simple concept tough shit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Because there is a line. There some things that are unacceptable. Free speech doesn't mean you are free from criticism, nor free from consequences afterwards.
    If FB had made the same joke but based it on prejudiced, false, sterotypes of Harvey's ethnicity and not prejudiced, false, stereoptypes of his disability, then CH4 wouldn't have broadcast it.
    Just as he is legally 'allowed' to make that joke, people are 'allowed' to criticise FB about that joke, CH4 are 'allowed' to not give him a series due to his content, people are 'allowed' to advocate that they do just that.
    Whether people get it or not, there is a lot of 'hate' and victimisation directed towards people with a disability; why add to that for a joke? There isn't a more vulnerable group in society than people with Harvey's needs, there isn't a group in society less able to shout back ; it's not being controversial or brave or edgy making jokes about them; it's cruel and cowardly.
    He may have a right to make such jokes, people may find them funny, but that doesn't make it right, and certainly shouldn't mean those who disagree should just accept it and not complain or not proffer an alternative view.
  • Options
    ValderyValdery Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chwast wrote: »
    he has the freedom to say stuff about other people, other people have the freedom to say stuff about him in response, if his fans are too dim to grasp that simple concept tough shit.

Exactly...freedom of speech, except for our slander and libel laws of course. ;):D
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I beleive strongly in free speech and a free press but Boyle is a prick who can only get laughs by being obnoxious. A truly great comedian can get laughs without swearing, being obscene or by getting laughs at those less fortunate than themselves. He is not a great comedian.
  • Options
    JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP
    Most posters are to keep repeating, and capitalizing the acronym IMO just to half the rate of flame you'd receive just for having your own taste and sense of humor

It's the same with music, films, any opinion. If you post you like or dislike something, there will always be someone to say how pants or brilliant they are, that's exactly what Boyle does in a way.
    People can be so different yet so similar.