Queens Christmas Broadcast

Comments

• You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done HM for actually acknowledging that Christmas is about Jesus not american movies.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    Well done HM for actually acknowledging that Christmas is about Jesus not american movies.

yup, mentioned in some form each year, whilst also acknowledging that not everyone here is Christian,and promoting tolerance of all faiths. :)

I wonder what exactly those that never watch it think is said -
    "rah rah rah hope you all enjoy the polo tomorrow rah rah rah thank you my loyal subjects you can stop bowing now rah rah rah"? :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I preferred the message by joke chav band N'Dubz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I wonder what exactly those that never watch it think is said -
    "rah rah rah hope you all enjoy the polo tomorrow rah rah rah thank you my loyal subjects you can stop bowing now rah rah rah"? :D

We all know what kind of stuff she says, we're just not interested in the slightest.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    We all know what kind of stuff she says, we're just not interested in the slightest.

To be honest, I doubt half the people who watch it actally take it in - I know I don't - but it is still an important tradition for millions of people.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on mums tv, but we didn't really hear it. I did notice how good the Queens skin is though, for her age like.
  • rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The broadcast seemed loaded with political correctness and I thought it came across as rather false.

Featured a cross section of ethnic minority schoolchildren plus shots of Our Boys.

I thought she looked cross and grumpy. Her face reminded me of those gargoyle things that were shown at the beginning of the broadcast.

That heavy looking blue suit thing she wore complete with ornate old broaches and things made her look a bit like an old hatpin. (I bet she's good fun with a handgun..)

The monarchy needs to come up to date a bit for the second decade of the 21st century!
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much preferred Louie Spence's Christmas message.

If the queen's speech had included a dancing guard and the phrase "Alright girls, guys and gays" in the most deliciously camp voice I've ever heard, I may have watched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great speech from the Queen. Nice to see her mentioning the bible. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Did she also mention Mein Kampf?
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Anyone think that it was a Dig at all the Governments sporting in schools Spending Cuts ;)

Promoting Sport and all its benefits on different levels while the Government axe it all :eek:
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    I'm waiting for her to speak her own mind, never mind been told what to say.
    OK Then!!! wrote: »
    its recorded and written fr her- so she doesnt give up her time or speak to us
    The Queen does her speech in one take, usually recording it a couple of weeks before the 25th. Accompanying TV footage is gathered throughout the year.

She writes her own message and each one has a religious framework and reflects current issues.

The speech is one of the rare occasions when the Queen does not turn to the Government for advice and is able to voice her own views.

Link.
  • BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickbe wrote: »
    The broadcast seemed loaded with political correctness and I thought it came across as rather false.

Featured a cross section of ethnic minority schoolchildren plus shots of Our Boys.

I thought she looked cross and grumpy. Her face reminded me of those gargoyle things that were shown at the beginning of the broadcast.

That heavy looking blue suit thing she wore complete with ornate old broaches and things made her look a bit like an old hatpin. (I bet she's good fun with a handgun..)

The monarchy needs to come up to date a bit for the second decade of the 21st century!

I guess you just don't like her. I thought she looked particularly smart, and quite amazing for her age and she was clearly doing her utmost to be inclusive. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and you can't please some of the people whatever you do.
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rickbe wrote: »

Agreed. Majority of people featured were dark skinned. William playing with African kids-check! Dark skinned schoolkids-check! World Cup nation-dark skinned-check! Black athletes-er..check. :rolleyes:
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame the Royal Family don't follow Jesus's teachings better. They are well known for holding grudges & being unforgiving. Like how about inviting Fergie to Christmas dinner, the woman is apparently spending the day alone with nowhere to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    It's a shame the Royal Family don't follow Jesus's teachings better. They are well known for holding grudges & being unforgiving.
    Like the judeo-christian "god"?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keelboots wrote: »
    Agreed. Majority of people featured were dark skinned. William playing with African kids-check! Dark skinned schoolkids-check! World Cup nation-dark skinned-check! Black athletes-er..check. :rolleyes:

almost as if she wanted to make a point to daft racists, EDL and BNP supporters. ;)
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the judeo-christian "god"?

I don't think God holds a grudge. He could just smite you & be done with it :D

But really they should think about the message of tolerance & treat others as you wish to be treated & practice what is preached :) Otherwise it's all a tad hypocritical
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn I missed it again - Oh well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    Waste of air time.
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch, and to be honest was more amused at our tv saying 'The Queer' instead of Queen due to the out of proportions on the settings :o
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    almost as if she wanted to make a point to daft racists, EDL and BNP supporters. ;)

So you noticed it too then?
    It was so OTT that my husband asked where had all the English gone.:D

Whoever thought, amongst the powers that be, that somehow this would make a point about the BNP/EDL must need their heads examined.
    If anything they could use it as a recruiting tool.

I thought it all very odd. Started off with a celebration of the King James bible and then went off at a tangent to talk about sport.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only saw clips of it but it looked like it had been done by the same people who did the World Cup bidding film,
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »

The Queen tells it as it is.

Good speech as always.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    How many people make a conscious decision to watch The Queens Speech every year ? Can't remember the last time I watched , get some snippets on the news , that's enough for me.

yes did watch it hold my hands up to that:o