Thoughts on vibration plates anyone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My mum is in poor health with mobility problems and a heart condition. She is overweight with poor circulation due to these various conditions and her GP has suggested she might want to think about a vibration plate as he thinks it may help her circulation/work muscles a bit without putting too much stress on her body.

Has anyone ever used these or could recommend a particular brand? She is happy to up to about £300 if it helps.

thanks

Comments

• AdamClelandAdamCleland Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see a lot of women sitting on them at the gym..... I dunno if they're getting any exercise though ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see a lot of women sitting on them at the gym..... I dunno if they're getting any exercise though ...

Maybe they do work in some way then :)
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spooky, i was just looking at one of them this very second, pondering whether they are worth it...
    http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/James-Russell/17013689?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_34&a=1664

a fantastic deal though by the looks of it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    spooky, i was just looking at one of them this very second, pondering whether they are worth it...
    http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/James-Russell/17013689?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_34&a=1664

a fantastic deal though by the looks of it

oohh thank you, my mum loves a bargain!
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi OP. People don't realise, but as well as being good for exercise, Vibra plates, or power plates are wonderful for stretching and can be very helpful to those with poor mobility, or who need to gently and safely build strength up in their joints, if they have chronic problems.

However, before you splash out on one, I suggest she tries one first with someone trained to help her, at your local sports centre. Some people can't handle the sensation of the vibration, or noise full stop. Plus with speeds and depth of vibration ranging from gentle massage to a vigorous workout, she could easily do damage or make things worse without initial guidance and supervision.

5 years ago, I needed a knee replacement, but this was suggested to me to try as it would strengthen the muscles safely. I went to my local vibragym, and for the first year, I only did exercises that helped flexibility and mobility, by massaging the joints. Eventually as you get stronger, you can build up the speed and begin increasing fitness, if you wish to. This was for twice a week for 15 minutes, and has helped greatly and I persevered for 3 years. I'll never run a marathon, but my knees no longer hurt, climbing steps, so I can now swim again which I love and it avoided the op..

We have several elderly people - some in their eighties who use the plates here, as well as two young people who are physically disabled, one in a wheelchair, but the trainer moves her legs onto the plate and is able to use the plate to strengthen unused muscles. You hold similar similar positions to those you'd do in the gym, but the vibrations are working the muscles that much harder, so you only need about 15 minutes to do the equivalent of much more in the gym.

Incidentally they're not new. The Russians invented vibration training back in the early 60's. It helped their astronauts stay in space longer, than the Americans, because it counteracted the effects of zero gravity on their bones and muscles!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi OP. People don't realise, but as well as being good for exercise, Vibra plates, or power plates are wonderful for stretching and can be very helpful to those with poor mobility, or who need to gently and safely build strength up in their joints, if they have chronic problems.

However, before you splash out on one, I suggest she tries one first with someone trained to help her, at your local sports centre. Some people can't handle the sensation of the vibration, or noise full stop. Plus with speeds and depth of vibration ranging from gentle massage to a vigorous workout, she could easily do damage or make things worse without initial guidance and supervision.

5 years ago, I needed a knee replacement, but this was suggested to me to try as it would strengthen the muscles safely. I went to my local vibragym, and for the first year, I only did exercises that helped flexibility and mobility, by massaging the joints. Eventually as you get stronger, you can build up the speed and begin increasing fitness, if you wish to. This was for twice a week for 15 minutes, and has helped greatly and I persevered for 3 years. I'll never run a marathon, but my knees no longer hurt, climbing steps, so I can now swim again which I love and it avoided the op..

We have several elderly people - some in their eighties who use the plates here, as well as two young people who are physically disabled, one in a wheelchair, but the trainer moves her legs onto the plate and is able to use the plate to strengthen unused muscles. You hold similar similar positions to those you'd do in the gym, but the vibrations are working the muscles that much harder, so you only need about 15 minutes to do the equivalent of much more in the gym.

Incidentally they're not new. The Russians invented vibration training back in the early 60's. It helped their astronauts stay in space longer, than the Americans, because it counteracted the effects of zero gravity on their bones and muscles!

Thanks Nesta, that's really helpful and informative. My mum was a bit sceptical at first but the GP certainly seemed to rate them. From what you describe I think they may be just the ticket.
  • TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boss bought one of these for our little gym at work when they first came out in the UK (from Harrods for £9000!). I've always found the science behind power plates a little hard to swallow. The brochure that came with it was filled with pseudo science and marketing BS. We've often said that one day we'll send him out for essential office supplies and he'll come back with some 'magic beans' and a promise that we'll soon be in possession of a goose that lays golden eggs.

My advice would be to try one out at a gym first to see if she sees any benefit compared to performing the same exercises but without the power plate. I suspect a lot of people who try exercising on one and feel some benefit, attribute said benefit to the power plate when for all they know they could have achieved the same benefits without it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TobyS wrote: »
    My boss bought one of these for our little gym at work when they first came out in the UK (from Harrods for £9000!). I've always found the science behind power plates a little hard to swallow. The brochure that came with it was filled with pseudo science and marketing BS. We've often said that one day we'll send him out for essential office supplies and he'll come back with some 'magic beans' and a promise that we'll soon be in possession of a goose that lays golden eggs.

My advice would be to try one out at a gym first to see if she sees any benefit compared to performing the same exercises but without the power plate. I suspect a lot of people who try exercising on one and feel some benefit, attribute said benefit to the power plate when for all they know they could have achieved the same benefits without it.

Thanks for the reply. I agree some sort of trial is the way to go but tbh there's no point in a comparison with other exercises without it as her health and mobility is such that she can't really do any other sort of exercise. We thought the beauty of this would be she could pretty much stand still but get some circulation benefits.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i try them at the gym, but I have no idea whether they do anything, other than shake you about a bit.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i try them at the gym, but I have no idea whether they do anything, other than shake you about a bit.

you are supposed to do exercises on them. As the base move you have to use your core muscle to keep your form thus you supposedly get a better all over workout