Getting my first HD set.

Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not at all techy but I have one basic question.

My old standard def tv has had it and needs to be replaced.

I live in Scotland but as I'm an ex Londoner I like to watch BBC London News on sky 954.

When I get new Hidef set will I still be able to get this? I understand the Hidef version of BBC1 broadcasts a holding caption when the news is on as effectively it is BBC1 England (I know i will be able to get Reporting Scotland in hidef) but what I don't want to do is lose BBC London- so will all the standard definition variations of BBC1 still be available when I upgrade. I really don't want to lose BBC London News if I can help it.

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC1 London SD is a "must carry" channel on satellite as it is the only regional BBC1 that carries audio description for the partially sighted so is available anywhere in the UK on any satellite receiver so you will receive it. At present all BBC1 SD regional variations are available on any Sky box SD or HD.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant.

Many thanks!
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do let us know how you find HD and if the telly you get is any good :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't been out to currys etc yet then look at The LG tvs there very good
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_w wrote: »
    If you haven't been out to currys etc yet then look at The LG tvs there very good

How about this LG one at Currys

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-84lm960v-3d-ultra-hd-84-led-tv-19393541-pdt.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20 grand is slightly out of my price range!

Where I live in Scotland we don't have any big high street chains- just a local family owned high street shop (like the good old days) so I will take what I'm given!

Most (maybe even all) the sets on display were Toshiba- so I kind of expect that's what I'll end up with!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »

wow that is some TV! I would have a problem just fitting that in my lounge! let alone the cost! my 32" does me OK even if I could fit a 40" in the space comfortably! I think if I went big I would go for a projector!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 grand is slightly out of my price range!

Where I live in Scotland we don't have any big high street chains- just a local family owned high street shop (like the good old days) so I will take what I'm given!

Most (maybe even all) the sets on display were Toshiba- so I kind of expect that's what I'll end up with!

You do have the www in Scotland to order online and get a delivery man to bring it , even in a rowing boat , or are you to remote for deliveries?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do have the www in Scotland to order online and get a delivery man to bring it , even in a rowing boat , or are you to remote for deliveries?

Hadn't thought of that- but all I want is a tv that works.

Toshiba have a reasonable reputation don't they- plus when I said I thought 40 inch might be too big he said 'We'll bring a 32 and a 40 round to the house so you can decide then'

Hard to believe- but when I got my car serviced I was all ready to pay when I picked it up but it was 'No, we'll send you the bill' Same with plummer, same with electrician (the latter the same place I will get the tv from) so how can I pay for tv in advance if he doesn't even know in advance which set I'm going to choose, so it looks like another case of 'pay us in a week when you get the bill' Would never happen anywhere else!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Toshiba have a reasonable reputation don't they

They did years ago, but in recent times they have been supplying mostly cheap Vestel sets with Toshiba badges - and have long since lost the decent reputation they used to have :(
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hadn't thought of that- but all I want is a tv that works.

Toshiba have a reasonable reputation don't they- plus when I said I thought 40 inch might be too big he said 'We'll bring a 32 and a 40 round to the house so you can decide then'

Hard to believe- but when I got my car serviced I was all ready to pay when I picked it up but it was 'No, we'll send you the bill' Same with plummer, same with electrician (the latter the same place I will get the tv from) so how can I pay for tv in advance if he doesn't even know in advance which set I'm going to choose, so it looks like another case of 'pay us in a week when you get the bill' Would never happen anywhere else!

Toshiba, no thanks

I have to ask where are you located,sounds like its in a time warp ;)
  • notachancenotachance Posts: 407
    Forum Member
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notachance wrote: »
    That's a big steaming pile of turd that TV!

Panasonic is much better.

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.1,cos_1.1.1/142976

Of course, if the price is too high then there's always the smaller screen version

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.1,cos_1.1.1/142974

Wow! Surprised the second one is so expensive though as it isn't Ultra HD. And personally I wouldn't get plasma... Not that 99% of people could afford those without re-mortgaging their country estate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toshiba, no thanks

Somewhere in Argyll. Don't want to be more specific than that- but I presume if you fail to pay someone the word soon gets round your credit is no good. i fully expect to have tv for a week before the bill arrives!
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Same thing happens here, near a big modern city. When the car needs a service I phone the garage, we agree a suitable day for them to do it and on the day I leave the keys in the car and cycle to work, and arrive home to find the car with the bill on the seat or on the doormat with the key, and I phone back when it suits to pay the bill. I thought that was how the world worked.

OP - if you looking at HD check out what Panasonic have to offer. Things might have changed in the 3 years since I bought ours but they're pretty good. Whatever you buy though give it a few hours use to burn in though then Google around for suggested settings. A lot of people (on here as often as not) seem quite proud of the fact that they're unable to see a difference between HD and SD. There's a massive difference between a poorly set up set and a well set-up one. Don't waste your money on a good set that you then assume will work at an optimum out of the box.
  • KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I agree with that LG are excellent TV's. I have 2 X 42" Sets. One I have had for 3 Years and the other for 2 Years. Both are used every day, I do not get out much as I am Disabled and TV is my best friend. and I have never had a problem with either of them.

I have also 2 LG Blu-Ray Players and they work perfectly with the LG TV's.

I bought both of my sets from Curry's when they had offers on, the oldest one cost me £329 and the newest one cost £379 and both were an absolute bargain.

Amazon have quite a few LG TV's for sale with Free Delivery and here is a link to one of them a 42" for £389.99 :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-42LS5600-42-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B007IYVYSS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1368394036&sr=8-9&keywords=42%22+LG+TV
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    I'd recommend Panasonic too, I still think my plasma set is brilliant, even though it's now over five years old.
    LCD sets are now much better than they were then of course, but they still can't match the fact that a plasma screen looks exactly the same from any angle, just like a CRT used to.
    I've yet to see an LCD set which is as good in that respect.
    :)
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better get in quick because Panasonic have announced they are pulling out of the consumer market after posting a £4.85bn loss for the past year.
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    Better get in quick because Panasonic have announced they are pulling out of the consumer market after posting a £4.85bn loss for the past year.
    I hope that doesn't happen too quickly and suddenly, their domestic gear is among the best there is IMO.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »

They have been threatening that for a few years now, as have Sony - although Sony have just posted a profit for the first time in five years.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I hope that doesn't happen too quickly and suddenly, their domestic gear is among the best there is IMO.

Sadly too many people want cheapest, not best. It's a rush to the bottom, with only the niche-market top price high-end surviving.
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Sadly too many people want cheapest, not best. It's a rush to the bottom, with only the niche-market top price high-end surviving.
    Sad but true.
    Pioneer pulling their Kuro plasma TVs, which were the absolute ultimate in their time, was the thin end of the wedge I'm afraid.
    I really hope the remaining "big name" TV manufacturers don't end up following suit.
    :(