Pop!

chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
Forum Member
Interesting new DTPS licence... It's actually a kids channel (not a music one).
Info here: http://cscmediagroup.com/showreels/325/POP
Licence: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/html/tv/cs/dtps100011ba2pop.htm

Comments

• BangersBangers Posts: 3,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the channel first launched it was a mixture of old cartoons (think Sonic, Mario, Care Bears) and music videos suited to young children.

Over the years it has since evolved in to a more conventional children's channel, but they've kept the same name.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    The channel's official website is www.popfun.co.uk, where you can see the current schedule.

The channel is on Sky and Freesat until 10:30pm, after which it switches to teleshopping.

The CSC corporate website meanwhile teases:
    Today CSC owns and operates 19 successful television channels across the genres of Kids, Music, Movies and General Entertainment. Its channels are available on Sky Digital, Virgin Media, Freesat and, increasingly, on Freeview.
  • duffman25duffman25 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will be good for the children if its same hours as freesat to have a channel after 7pm.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could they use this IPTV technology alongside their current channel that True Entertainment that I think is in the 60s of the EPG?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Could they use this IPTV technology alongside their current channel that True Entertainment that I think is in the 60s of the EPG?

No; it's a DTPS licence - ie. a normal channel.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    No; it's a DTPS licence - ie. a normal channel.

Where do you think the hours will come from?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Wonder where they're planning to put this - regular slots are expensive and CSC doesn't like expensive... which leaves Com7 or CoMux?
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh maybe someone else is cutting hours down. I can never keep up with what all these licences mean.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be good to see POP on Freeview, as it would provide a welcome boost to kids' TV on the platform; whilst there are numerous general audience channels from a variety of operators, currently CITV is the only commercial broadcaster with a presence in the kids' guide.
    CSC is the only other kids' broadcaster with a major FTA presence - they have four core channels in all (and two timeshifts) over satellite, and aside from BBC and ITV are the only kids' broadcaster on Freesat.
    The arrival of some of their programming onto Freeview will certainly be welcomed in homes with young families!
    I'd assume that the schedule would be shaken up a little to accommodate programmes from Tiny Pop, PopGirl and Kix into the linear lineup, or possibly the addition of a QVC Beauty-style IPTV sidecar to stream the additional channels if only one linear stream is taken.
    This could be for the ARQA slot just vacated by the BBC RB2 stream, of course.
    I did wonder if another broadcaster would take the initiative of the limited competition available to stick a kids' channel up on Freeview: with Viacom having used TMF/Viva for Nick Jr block in the past and Spongebob/Penguins in the afternoons more recently, I did think they'd come up with a Nick-lite for Freeview showing a mix of younger and older kids' content, possibly sharing with a new comedy/entertainment/drama/movie archive service in the evenings (TV Land UK?), but it seems CSC have got in before them...
    I'd assume LCN 75 (until the move) for POP, unless the Beeb shunt their HD channels down a place to let POP get down to number 73 (hey, you...)
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christoFar wrote: »
    Wonder where they're planning to put this - regular slots are expensive and CSC doesn't like expensive... which leaves Com7 or CoMux?

or possibly a time share? Pop 06:00 - 19:00 (like CBBC) then True Entertainment in the Evening?

Some of the CSC channels on the CoMux multiplex would be better than BonanzaBonanza!
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not air there flagship Chart Show TV channel on Freeview?

Instantly become the third most watched music channel overnight?
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not air there flagship Chart Show TV channel on Freeview?

Instantly become the third most watched music channel overnight?

The answer will always be the same, the lower "time spent viewing" stats for music channels make them unattractive to advertisers. On a relatively expensive platform, such as DTT, they would struggle to raise enough advertising income to pay for the carriage contract.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On that note, VIVA will drop another hour of music from 17th March, with non-music programmes running from 14:00-02:00. There's not a big market for music videos on TV anymore.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On that note, VIVA will drop another hour of music from 17th March, with non-music programmes running from 14:00-02:00. There's not a big market for music videos on TV anymore.

Hi omnidirectional there are non music programs running on Viva 15:00-02:00 today.from Monday 3rd march 14:00-02:00 of non music programs.Starting with Scrubs @ 14:00.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »
    Hi omnidirectional there are non music programs running on Viva 15:00-02:00 today.from Monday 3rd march 14:00-02:00 of non music programs.Starting with Scrubs @ 14:00.

Have we suddenly gone American? It's TV PROGRAMMES!
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,705
    Forum Member
    I would imagine that it is coming from the daytime hours of True Entertainment
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now officially announced: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xezrPQshOZI

Available from 20 March (Thursday) on LCN 75.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Now officially announced: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xezrPQshOZI

Available from 20 March (Thursday) on LCN 75.

No mention of restricted coverage areas or Freeview HD TVs suggests it is on a DVB-T national commercial mux.
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly filling the space left by the temporary red button service which shares with an adult service at night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it going to be 24 hours or till 7 like the rest on freeview
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just found out it be 6am till 10pm
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    duffman25 wrote: »
    just found out it be 6am till 10pm
    That's more or less the same as its current satellite hours (runs until 10:30 on satellite).
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know what mux it will be on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we therefore assume that True Entertainment will not be reducing it's hours to fit this new service in.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Can we therefore assume that True Entertainment will not be reducing it's hours to fit this new service in.

I was assuming that anyway :)

There's plenty of space available, however I note that Create & Craft/Travel Channel combined fit these hours perfectly, so maybe something is happening there? Travel Channel's trial must have gone well or they wouldn't still be running, so I can see them moving to a 24hr slot.