Options

Windows 9 (videos of OS in action)

Anyone interested in a sneak peak at Windows 9 can see some videos here:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/15/windows-9-features/

This is obviously an internal build due to warning on screen that employees may have their contracts terminated if anyhing gets out about Windows 9 (oops!)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Struggling with the idea of multi desktop. Not sure how you wouldn't be able to manage any of what it offers with snap and windows management, show desktop, pinned items etc.

But I guess this is moulding the desktop/UI to the inabilities of those able to use what it already offers, flexibility - tomato.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Don't most Linux distros already have multiple desktops? Anyway if these screenshots are really of the Windows 9 beta then it looks like a good OS. It'll end up being what Windows 8 should've been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't most Linux distros already have multiple desktops? Anyway if these screenshots are really of the Windows 9 beta then it looks like a good OS. It'll end up being what Windows 8 should've been.

Unreleased? :D

It's still Windows 8 to me, I can't see this being popular unless they allow it as a free upgrade from 8.1. They're going to have such a hard time with apps unless they continue to remove stuff from the OS and put it into apps. They will have to be free as long as those with memories remember what they used to be given in Windows anyway.

They tried this with Skype and backtracked so the desktop version could be installed on 8.x.

Maybe if they give Minecraft away with every PC. Just three years too late :p
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Struggling with the idea of multi desktop. Not sure how you wouldn't be able to manage any of what it offers with snap and windows management, show desktop, pinned items etc.

But I guess this is moulding the desktop/UI to the inabilities of those able to use what it already offers, flexibility - tomato.
    Me too mate, its one of those things that I just can't see any point to. It smacks of trying to offer something for the sake of it as we've had this available (for many years) but few ever seem to complain about its absense. Heck it was even available for windows 9x in the form of a power toy.

It's trying to solve a problem which doesn't need solving IMO but I'm happy to be corrected in the future.

As for the rest of it, notifications are long overdue, but this to me just looks like windows 8.2. Except everyone will go nuts for it despite there being hardly any difference because everyone loves to hate windows 8. From my point of view its a rather unexciting, unambitious release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too mate, its one of those things that I just can't see any point to. It smacks of trying to offer something for the sake of it as we've had this available (for many years) but few ever seem to complain about its absense. Heck it was even available for windows 9x in the form of a power toy.

It's trying to solve a problem which doesn't need solving IMO but I'm happy to be corrected in the future.

As for the rest of it, notifications are long overdue, but this to me just looks like windows 8.2. Except everyone will go nuts for it despite there being hardly any difference because everyone loves to hate windows 8. From my point of view its a rather unexciting, unambitious release.

Couldn't agree more, but perhaps Microsoft need to be unambitious if Windows 8 was a revelation of their blue-sky thinking or their vision of the next paradigm.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    From my point of view its a rather unexciting, unambitious release.

Seems to be what MS might need at the moment - Windows 8 was very ambitious but didn't work out for them so they need to concentrate on what works this time round and reign in some of the more ambitious stuff.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Unreleased? :D

It's still Windows 8 to me, I can't see this being popular unless they allow it as a free upgrade from 8.1. They're going to have such a hard time with apps unless they continue to remove stuff from the OS and put it into apps. They will have to be free as long as those with memories remember what they used to be given in Windows anyway.

They tried this with Skype and backtracked so the desktop version could be installed on 8.x.

Maybe if they give Minecraft away with every PC. Just three years too late :p

Maybe :p Windows 8 is a pile of dung. The trouble with it is that it's a mess and it's hard to know exactly what kind of operating system it is. Is it a tablet OS or a desktop OS? I would say it's a hybrid of tablet and desktop, but it's badly implemented and designed. They should have released separate versions for tablets and desktops. The Start screen looks as though it's designed by Playskool and don't get me started on the Charms bar and all that stuff. Oh and they took Solitaire out. Windows ain't Windows without the classic time waster :D It makes me want to take a sledgehammer to the computer >:( My dad does like his Surface Pro though and he uses it all the time. It's the computer he uses the most. He says Windows 8.1 is very good on it, but whatever floats his goat I guess.
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still prefer Windows 7, nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Just another chance for the haters to write clichéd diatribes. I don't think W9 will satisfy them. What would they find to fill the hole in their world if W9 answers the problems they seem to have, (whether real or just copied from the internet)?
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I have used 8.1 at length however that is with the aid of a third party start menu like Classic Shell. In general it was ok however it is a steep learning curve for those used to the traditional start menu.

The changes MS is making for Windows 9 are boring but necessary changes, they are not going to light up the sky, however it will bring the desktop user back into the fold. They have learned from the Win 8/8.1 experience a lot, even going as far to admit that desktop users struggle to use the platform.

I am looking forward to the release....the way it looks is the best of both worlds, as the Modern UI based applications are quite useful, I find the News and Finance apps very helpful.
  • Options
    mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using multi-desktop with Ubuntu for years now and I love it. It makes multi-tasking much easier and faster. People who primarily use the mouse for navigating around might not see any use or benefit but for those who primarily use the keyboard, it's much better.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Just another chance for the haters...
    I have snipped at the point you probably lost all of your intended audience.

Me? I shall await the actual release of W9 and then, I shall comment on what I see. Windows 8 with Classic Shell installed is fine and as long as Microsoft allow similar free third party add-ons, W9 should be too.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think I prefer my 8.1 with Start8 and ModernMix installed.
    I'm used to the Charms bar now and would probably miss it.

Plus I don't see the point of putting the Modern tiles on the Start Menu. Looks like it can be expanded to put more and more of them on, so might just end up filling the screen anyway? :D

As others have said, it looks like it should be called 8.2 rather than 9, as it's just a development of Windows 8, and not a new concept.

However, if it's a free upgrade, I shall almost certainly get it, and have no problem using it, but can't see me paying for it.

I've used Ubuntu (and other Linuxes) for years, and have never once used the multiple desktop feature.
    Seems to me it's just as easy clicking on the taskbar to bring up the wanted window, than to click to bring up another desktop with the window on.

I suppose if you are doing loads of things at once it might help keep things organized?
    But if I'm doing some business stuff, I might have another window open in the corner of the screen showing a video at the same time, but that has to be on the same desktop or you won't see it (unless you have multiple monitors). :D
  • Options
    mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I've used Ubuntu (and other Linuxes) for years, and have never once used the multiple desktop feature.
    Seems to me it's just as easy clicking on the taskbar to bring up the wanted window, than to click to bring up another desktop with the window on.
    Like I said it's not such a useful feature for those who prefer to navigate using the mouse. I switch desktops using Ctrl+Alt+the relevant arrow key; Ctrl+Shift+Alt+arrow key to move a window to another desktop. It means I can have some windows tiled on one desktop, a window full screen on another etc. Plus with the Unity gui that comes with Ubuntu you don't really have a taskbar so to speak - the launcher can be used in this way but it's not always convenient, if you have a lot of program icons there. Multiple desktops allow you to organise your workspaces to stop them from becoming cluttered, which is more useful as we are giving our computers more RAM to use.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Me? I shall await the actual release of W9 and then, I shall comment on what I see. Windows 8 with Classic Shell installed is fine and as long as Microsoft allow similar free third party add-ons, W9 should be too.

....You won't be able to comment until you've seen and tried it, so you aren't really doing anyone any favours....
    There's no reason why MS would not allow the TP apps in W9. Windows has always been customisable with them.
    Glad you agree that W8 is fine.
  • Options
    CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Start menu as returned, but it looks like there'll still be a need for start menu apps, like Start8 and Classic Shell, for people who don't like the tile interface.

In a way, this is actually worse than Windows 8, because now the Modern Metro tile interface interferes with the desktop, by appearing in the start menu.
    Whereas before you could ignore it once in the desktop.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that the Start menu has returned. Microsoft obviously realised that they completely cocked things up by getting rid of it in 8 and 8.1.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cylinder wrote: »
    Start menu as returned, but it looks like there'll still be a need for start menu apps, like Start8 and Classic Shell, for people who don't like the tile interface.

In a way, this is actually worse than Windows 8, because now the Modern Metro tile interface interferes with the desktop, by appearing in the start menu.

I won't be bothering with any of the Start menu's Metro interface.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    ....You won't be able to comment until you've seen and tried it,

OK so let's have a look... can't try it though so many unanswered questions remain.

That's no different from how I have Classic Shell set up though, there is a separate menu item for Apps, which I haven't clicked on for months, it's easy to ignore.

As long as it's free and I can turn off everything related to Metro, such as charms etc., I may be able to live with W9 without add-ons. Multi desktop can be ignored but I suppose I might find a use for it, who knows?

Windows 9: "what Windows 8 should have been..."
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There won't be. The tiles on the new start menu are optional and can be disabled. The same leaker released an image with the tiles disabled.

http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/New-Windows-9-Video-Leaks-Shows-a-Windows-7-like-Start-Menu-with-No-Live-Tiles-458682-2.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't look that different from Windows 8 and seems to have more Metro stuff being crept onto it.

One hopes, but I doubt, that MS will allow people to customise the look and feel of it to previous Windows version like we could always do. However, with the locked down version of Windows 8 and the dire look and feel of Office 2013 which cannot be changed, I doubt that is going to happen. Windows has gone from being very customisable so one can have it set up to get the most out of it with the way one works (and I have to use all Office programmes at work) to being a system that basicaly says: MS way or no way.