Options

Swine flu dilemma

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My nearly 3 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with(but not tested for) swine flu. She's had a fever which comes and goes, runny nose and cough for about 4/5 days but really nothing to write home about.

My GP diagnosed swine flu "in the absence of confirming anything else" but in all honesty I can't see how it can be - it's pretty mild and nowhere near as bad as normal flu. I'm nearly 7 months pregnant and would normally catch anything under the sun but I'm fine so I think she's just got a bad cold. I live in a small town in the north east which has had perhaps one case in total and we haven't been anywhere or done anything to make me think we have come into contact with it. I'd be happy if it is to get it over with and I don't want to second guess my doctor but I'm pretty convinced it's not.

My dilemma is should we take the tamiflu and relenza we have been offered (my gut instinct says no) or wait it out even though I'm pregnant. Also my GP has said that my daughter won't now be offered the vaccine when it comes around but in the absence of a lab confirmation I'm worried that will put her at risk if it comes in a nastier second wave over the winter.

Any thoughts? I was tempted to put this in advice but I'm really just after provoking a bit of a discussion rather than anything specific. Anyone had it when it just seemed like a bad cold?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't wish to sound mean but you seem to be dismissing the advice of a qualified GP to ask the advice of strangers on the internet. Is that really the best option?

If your GP says it is SF then I'd go with that. What was the point in calling him out if you aren't going to listen to what he said anyway?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A common cold will not usually cause a fever, so it's possible that your daughter does have a flu virus. There's no point you taking the Tamiflu because you don't have any symptoms. It's not a preventative medicine. I also don't think there's any point in your daughter taking it as she's already been ill for 5 days. However, I'm not a qualified GP so this post is for information purposes only :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mean to come across as dismissive, it's just that he said it like a default diagnosis as her symptons didn't seem to fit other things. Also I was one of those firmly in the 'very concerned about swine flu brigade' and now it's more of 'is that all it is?'.

I only rang for some quick advice as she had a temp for 5 days which isn't normal for her but he insisted I came down to the surgery, in an isolation room and he was all gowned up in surgical masks/scrubs. It never crossed my mind in a million years it was actually swine flu as I thought it would be a lot worse.

I guess I really just wanted to hear other experiences of symptons/severity.
  • Options
    sub4ux4sub4ux4 Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I don't wish to sound mean but you seem to be dismissing the advice of a qualified GP to ask the advice of strangers on the internet. Is that really the best option?

If your GP says it is SF then I'd go with that. What was the point in calling him out if you aren't going to listen to what he said anyway?

i did the nhs test and according to that i shouldve called 999
    immediately and informed ambulance control i had swine flu
    so pro help isnt fullproof i have hay fever and a head cold btw .

if i was pannicked easily or seeking attention i mightve jumped onboard with the advice ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Severus wrote: »
    A common cold will not usually cause a fever, so it's possible that your daughter does have a flu virus. There's no point you taking the Tamiflu because you don't have any symptoms. It's not a preventative medicine. I also don't think there's any point in your daughter taking it as she's already been ill for 5 days. However, I'm not a qualified GP so this post is for information purposes only :D

Ah I didn't know that about a cold, thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sub4ux4 wrote: »
    i did the nhs test and according to that i shouldve called 999
    immediately and informed ambulance control i had swine flu
    so pro help isnt fullproof i have hay fever and a head cold btw .

if i was pannicked easily or seeking attention i mightve jumped onboard with the advice ?

lol. Yep, I'm prone to panic at the minute, it's my pregnancy hormones :D
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess I really just wanted to hear other experiences of symptons/severity.

OP - do a search on Swine Flu. I'm not being sarcastic but there has been quite a few threads about Swine Flu with people who 'had' it, people who have family members who 'had' it ( I fit this catergory!) and so on that the advice, opinion and experience is becoming repetitve but useful to what you are looking for. :)

Personally I would take the medication if it's free and no harm to the baby. All the best for the pregnancy, I hope your daughter gets over her symptoms soon.
  • Options
    sub4ux4sub4ux4 Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol. Yep, I'm prone to panic at the minute, it's my pregnancy hormones :D

get some checks done put your mind at rest
    given the syptoms of swine flu are almost identical to any cold type infection it must be really hard to distinguish
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in a similar position, in that my GP has prescribed tamiflu for my 3 kids because they have some symptoms and have asthma. They weren't seen by him, I just spoke to a triage nurse over the phone. I thought there were no cases in my area, but she said there are.

I've given them the tamiflu, but we were told that they would get it again should they get swine flu later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    OP - do a search on Swine Flu. I'm not being sarcastic but there has been quite a few threads about Swine Flu with people who 'had' it, people who have family members who 'had' it ( I fit this catergory!) and so on that the advice, opinion and experience is becoming repetitve but useful to what you are looking for. :)

Personally I would take the medication if it's free and no harm to the baby. All the best for the pregnancy, I hope your daughter gets over her symptoms soon.

Will do, thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position, in that my GP has prescribed tamiflu for my 3 kids because they have some symptoms and have asthma. They weren't seen by him, I just spoke to a triage nurse over the phone. I thought there were no cases in my area, but she said there are.

I've given them the tamiflu, but we were told that they would get it again should they get swine flu later.

That's interesting, I didn't realise you could take it more than once. I hope they feel better soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did your GP recommend that you take Tamiflu? I only ask because my son had swine flu (lab confirmed) and we were all given Tamiflu, and on reading the instructions it said that the long term effects of Tamiflu on pregnant women and their babies was not known.

Personally, I wouldn't take it if I was pregnant, not even on the say-so of my GP, if they didn't know what it might do to your baby.

As to symptoms, my son had a fever of over 40, aching limbs & back, uncontrollable shivers, severe headache, sore throat and complete lack of energy. I wouldn't have mistaken it for a cold, though the worst of the symptoms were gone within 3 or 4 days.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's interesting, I didn't realise you could take it more than once. I hope they feel better soon.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can he say it's swine flu is she hasn't been tested?
    Aren't the symptoms of swine flu identical to normal flu?
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member

My GP surgery diagnose swine flu over the phone based on symptoms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member

I think the virus has become so dominant and common that there is no point testing, just about everyone they were testing was coming back as swine flu. And it wont be possible to test everyone now (it's not just a few hundred cases it's going to be hundreds of 1000's and millions), clinical diagnosis is enough. Yes there is slim chance it might be normal flu or something else but what does that matter, the advice is still the same (by the sounds of it you'd rather catch swine flu than seasonal flu), monitor to see if you get get any worse, rest and painkillers till you get better in a few days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeap but I wonder if because it's not flu season and a lot of people have tested positive for swine flu and not other strains it's more likely to be the swine variety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freckles_ wrote: »
    Did your GP recommend that you take Tamiflu? I only ask because my son had swine flu (lab confirmed) and we were all given Tamiflu, and on reading the instructions it said that the long term effects of Tamiflu on pregnant women and their babies was not known.

Personally, I wouldn't take it if I was pregnant, not even on the say-so of my GP, if they didn't know what it might do to your baby.

As to symptoms, my son had a fever of over 40, aching limbs & back, uncontrollable shivers, severe headache, sore throat and complete lack of energy. I wouldn't have mistaken it for a cold, though the worst of the symptoms were gone within 3 or 4 days.

Thanks, that was what I was a bit iffy about really. He offered me relenza but I don't have symptons so I wanted to be cautious and he said my daughter could have tamiflu but it was up to me seeing as she had already been unwell for 5 days. Your son sounds like he had it an awful lot worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because it's becoming so common I think. In my daughter's case swine flu doesn't appear anywhere near as bad as normal flu (keeping my fingers crossed).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    My housemate had the exact same symptoms and was diagnosed (not tested) with swine flu. This was pretty much the day after the docs changed tactics and stopped testing people.
    But Tamiflu only relieves the symptoms by a day or so, so I wouldn't risk it if you're pregnant and don't even have any symptoms. There's 4 in our house and she's the only one that got it!
    Don't worry yourself, whether your young-un has a cold, swine flu, or other flu, she'll be better in a few days. Maybe some Calpol might help? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they've said Tamiflu isn't suitable for Pregnant women but another anti-viral relenza is.

If I were you and you started to feel a bit ill I'd take the relenza as offered, especially as your pregnant you never know how your body will react to the virus, and it's especially bad if your laid low with a little one on the way :)
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Severus wrote: »

I wasn't going to wade in to the debate OP but you are pregnant and pregnant women are one of the higher risk groups for developing complications with swine flu.

There are a number of things I'd have to disagree with in Severus' post - you can get fevers with the common cold although they are usually less severe. Below are the symptoms:
    Cold symptoms reach their peak after 36 to 72 hours and include:

Dry, scratchy sore throat (usually the first sign of a cold)
    Runny nose and sneezing
    Hoarse voice
    Blocked, snuffly nose
    Cough
    Mild headache
    Mild fever
    Generally feeling unwell or muzzy headed

Symptoms should start to improve after three days and be gone after about seven days (but they may persist for up to two weeks).

As many as one in four people with a cold doesn't develop any symptoms, possibly because their immune system doesn't react to the virus in the usual way.

It's easy to confuse a cold with flu, but in general flu is more severe and produces a higher fever (above 38oC) and more generalised symptoms throughout the body such as aching muscles, lethargy, shivers, nausea and vomiting.

Secondly, tamiflu and relenza can be used for both prevention and treatment depending on the dose prescribed.

Relenza is recommended for pregnant women because it has a more direct action being inhaled into the lungs and therefore far less is absorbed into the bloodstream and the potential for serious side effects is minimised.

Finally, pregnant women are one of the high risk groups. OP even if you don't have symptoms your GP will be trying to ensure that giving you the relenza will prevent you developing swine flu and then possibly getting serious complications. The info below is from a DoH document:
    They will be used for prevention (prophylaxis) only on the advice of a doctor in high-risk groups. These include people with long-term conditions, those over 65, children under five and pregnant women.

Part of the reason you will be at increased risk is because as your baby grows it restricts the space available for your lungs anyway - this makes any infection in the lungs more serious.

Sorry to drone on, but I think it's important that you don't treat this too lightly. If you really are still concerned, I would suggest you talk to another healthcare professional rather than just deciding not to take the Relenza.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Normal' flu doesn't circulate in the community at these rates in the middle of summer - it really doesn't. In addition, 'normal' flu is far less common in children and young people. The cases of swin flu have increased to the extent where it is deemed reasonable to compare patient symptoms against a check list (including things like age of potential sufferer) and make the diagnosis.
  • Options
    Skeet UlrichSkeet Ulrich Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do what the doc says.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to wade in to the debate OP but you are pregnant and pregnant women are one of the higher risk groups for developing complications with swine flu.

There are a number of things I'd have to disagree with in Severus' post - you can get fevers with the common cold although they are usually less severe.

I know you can, but you wouldn't usually have a fever with the common cold.
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Secondly, tamiflu and relenza can be used for both prevention and treatment depending on the dose prescribed.

I just checked the official Tamiflu site and you're right:
    When you or someone in your family begins to experience flu symptoms, you have 48 hours to take action. Trust TAMIFLU, the number-one prescribed antiviral flu medicine*:

* For flu treatment: When taken within two days of experiencing symptoms, TAMIFLU works by helping to stop the flu virus from spreading inside the body
    * For flu prevention: When you have been exposed to someone with the flu, taking TAMIFLU can help keep the virus from making you sick

http://www.tamiflu.com/treat.aspx