Is Luton, near Bedford, really as bad as everyone says it is?

fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've heard so many people call it a "s***hole" but is it really that bad of a place to live? And if so, why?

And what's there to do there exactly?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I've only ever been on a day trip but yes it is a little bit grim.
  • fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else?!
  • QueenMaudeQueenMaude Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am from Luton, it has its good points [not many] but it is rather depressing. I wouldnt recommend living there and i am glad i managed to escape! :D
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only been there a couple of times. I know a lot of people who live there and who hate it and say how rough it is - from the stories they tell (quite matter-of-factly) it doesn't sound especially pleasant.

I do know it was a no-go area for 3 months after the London riots for one of my friends as part of her job. In the same category as Brixton. (dictated by her company)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my old friends lived there, although he was born in London, in the days when you didn't have to be a millionaire to be born near the sound of Bow bells. He hated Luton with a passion, but couldn't afford to live in London. He told me they were constantly having break ins and his wife had been attacked in the street more than once. My husband was born there, and his mum, grandad, etc etc before that. They got out in the 1960s and never went back.
  • SerranoSerrano Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    If you have to go there, avoid Bury Park.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Luton, near Bedford" :D

One of these places is considerably larger than the other, and well-known for having a busy international airport named after it.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luton, near Bedford

i somehow think Bedford isn't too thrilled with the association

not that Bedford's anything to write home about
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like one of the most horrific places in the country. I hope I never, ever have to go there.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    Luton, near Bedford

i somehow think Bedford isn't too thrilled with the association

not that Bedford's anything to write home about

Although Bedford's mediocrity is like a shining beacon of hope when stood next to Luton.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I had to go there the other week (I live near it, yet try desperately to avoid it), as I was going through the chalk cutting I went under some very heavy dark clouds.
    It suited it, Luton is a very depressing sort of place to go through, at least along the A5 route, it seems tired, uncared for, often fairly shabby looking, dreary, depressing....

It's the sort of place where, despite it being nearer to me than many other shopping locations, I'll drive an extra 10-15 minutes in the opposite direction to avoid going there.

It's also the only place I ever have to go to, where I actively try to make sure the brake lights on cars are working before I pull out behind them, I've had several close calls where a car in front has braked suddenly, and it's taken me that extra fraction of a second to notice it because their brake lights were not working, at all - other lights were fine, just the brake lights (oddly enough I've never had that anywhere else, although it's depressingly common to see cars with one brake light out at the moment).

So, yeah, Luton is not my favourite place.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Although Bedford's mediocrity is like a shining beacon of hope when stood next to Luton.

Ayu Bedford is like a Michaelangelo compared to Luton's monkey **** thrown at a wall.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very rarely go to Luton, tbh, it is quite grim..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do know it was a no-go area for 3 months after the London riots for one of my friends as part of her job. In the same category as Brixton. (dictated by her company)

Rubbish! I have seen a few documentaries about Luton, especially in relation to the "hotbed of terrorism" there, saying that some areas are no go areas etc... Bury Park is the asian area, i've walked through there no problem [i am white], i would prefer to walk through Bury Park than somewhere like Marsh Farm which is probably the chavviest and depressingly bleak place i've ever been. You get bad parts in all cities, you also get nice parts!

Luton has a bad reputation, it IS quite bad but it's not hell on earth. I do like to go back occassionally. I'm not embarrassed to be from Luton. Some people seem to assume it's worse than Baghdad or something.

I would say IMO the bad areas of Manchester are much more intimidating and grim than the bad areas of Luton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I had to go there the other week (I live near it, yet try desperately to avoid it), as I was going through the chalk cutting I went under some very heavy dark clouds.
    It suited it, Luton is a very depressing sort of place to go through, at least along the A5 route, it seems tired, uncared for, often fairly shabby looking, dreary, depressing....

It's the sort of place where, despite it being nearer to me than many other shopping locations, I'll drive an extra 10-15 minutes in the opposite direction to avoid going there.

It's also the only place I ever have to go to, where I actively try to make sure the brake lights on cars are working before I pull out behind them, I've had several close calls where a car in front has braked suddenly, and it's taken me that extra fraction of a second to notice it because their brake lights were not working, at all - other lights were fine, just the brake lights (oddly enough I've never had that anywhere else, although it's depressingly common to see cars with one brake light out at the moment).

So, yeah, Luton is not my favourite place.

I am assuming you mean the A6 as the A5 goes from the motorway through Dunstable to Milton Keynes, it does not go through Luton. Not to be pedantic :p But sunny dunny is also quite drab when you drive through :p
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no worse than any other big towns. Yes parts of the town centre are run down and derelict. Parts of it have a reputation but don't most large towns ?
  • Lewis26Lewis26 Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its down south it cant be that bad! Come oop north for a bit luton will seem like paradise!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't look any worse than any of the largish towns in the north to tell you the truth
  • guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes it is bad especially as i never found a decent pub there
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone on my facebook goes to the Uni of Bedfordshire (Luton) and she's always complaining that it's a shithole :D
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is grim - but there are some really nice villages and large'ish towns nearby in easy commuting distance if you were working in Luton.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Luton is the skid mark on the underpants of Bedfordshire. Best thing about it is the train station and the airport that offer transport to nicer places.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I occasionally work with a company in Luton, so sometimes kill time round the town centre. The covered shopping centre always seems to have an undercurrent of hostility, in my opinion. Can't put my finger on why, but it does.

Beyond that, it's no different from, say, Stevenage or Harlow or Basildon, if any of those sort of places float your boat....
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Luton is a depressing place. I have a sister who lives there and I hate visiting her, specially if we go out. I much prefer her to come to me, not that MK is much to shout about but luckily I live just outside.