Options

No Weather Today

Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
Well, ofcourse there is weather today, but on BBC London the newsreader is doing the lot, including the weather, but there is a short, ten seconds or so, update with moving graphics.

By the looks of things it should have been Wendy Hurrell on weather, because she has tweeted to the effect that she has managed to break the weather computer, so, in the building, but not able to do the forecast. I assume this means south. southeast, and east are similarly affected.

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wendy Hurrell has just been in her usual slot on BBC Radio Norfolk, definitely live as she talked to the presenter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but that aint telly!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps Ms Hurrell could look out the window if she wants to know the weather. Good to see the vast army of BBC weather ''presenters'' is finally being demobilised.Why does someone in London want to know the weather in the Shetlands and vice versa ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm talking about the half hour regional updates. Carol Kirkwood with national weather has no problems.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 35,008
    Forum Member
    Since DQF was implemented, the weather presenters are where they're most needed, on BBC local radio.

I'm sure the OP can retune to a multitude of radio stations which provide weather bulletins, including his own local BBC station where he could have heard Ms Hurrell at x25 past each hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since DQF was implemented, the weather presenters are where they're most needed, on BBC local radio.

I'm sure the OP can retune to a multitude of radio stations which provide weather bulletins, including his own local BBC station where he could have heard Ms Hurrell at x25 past each hour.

But the OP wasn't talking about local radio, he/she was talking about television.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look out the window to see what the local weather is like. Its about as much use as the fluffy bunnies on most regional tv
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    There is weather! It's dull and cloudy outside where I am and there seems to be a bit of fog or most. I'm looking out my living room window as I type!
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this goes to show how understaffed the BBC's weather department is. I sometimes see the forecast being given by the same presenter twice in the same week, and it has been obvious for a long time that they are heavily overworking the "talent" - so it's no surprise that Wendy Hurrell would finally snap and smash up the computer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't need to retune. There was a perfecly adequate 10 second weather forecast read by Victoria Hollins, over moving graphics of the rain sweeping east.

I only mentioned it because I thought people like Martin might have been interested to know Wendy Hurrell was at NBH, but unable to stand infront of the big screen for some reason- eg screen itself broken, or the little clicker to move to next image not working. Whatever it was it didn't stop a 10 second moving graphic bieng prepared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    But the OP wasn't talking about local radio, he/she was talking about television.

Yes dear, the point is that they're being utilised better elsewhere, which is on BBC local radio.

The Breakfast regional bulletins are watched by a minority of viewers, so the newsreader reading a script for 10 seconds on one bulletin because the gallery couldn't get the pre-recorded forecast on-air isn't a major issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin- As it happens I agree with you. I mentioned it because I thought one or two people might concievably be interested,. If not, no harm done.

You do seem to have got out of bed the wrong side this morning.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone lost the forecasting dice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the system recently changed and one presenter now serves several regions instead of each region having its own dedicated presenter which was an utter waste of money.I don't think asking one presenter to record three different forecasts is actually putting them under much pressure - what else are they doing during their shift ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I believe the system recently changed and one presenter now serves several regions instead of each region having its own dedicated presenter which was an utter waste of money.I don't think asking one presenter to record three different forecasts is actually putting them under much pressure - what else are they doing during their shift ?

They're preparing, producing and presenting up to nine weather forecasts on BBC local radio across a much larger area than before last Autumn using less staff on the early shift.

TV and online forecasts are pre-recorded before hand so they can concentrate on radio with the exception of the lunchtime BBC London News bulletin from the London hub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, whatever the problem she's got it working now!

That saves me a letter to acting DG Tim Davie!

Joke, honestly, joke!
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're preparing, producing and presenting up to nine weather forecasts on BBC local radio across a much larger area than before last Autumn using less staff on the early shift.

TV and online forecasts are pre-recorded before hand so they can concentrate on radio with the exception of the lunchtime BBC London News bulletin from the London hub.

Have they actually laid off some presenters then?
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, whatever the problem she's got it working now!

That saves me a letter to acting DG Tim Davie!

Joke, honestly, joke!

Now, now, you know all official BBC complaints must be directed to either The Daily Mail or ITV :p
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they actually laid off some presenters then?

BBC Radio Norfolk, and I'm pretty certain Radio Suffolk as well, previously used the services of Weatherquest, an independent forecasting service based in Norwich, headed by ex-BBC and Anglia TV weatherman Jim Bacon. They presumably paid a fee for this, so it's obviously more cost-effective to get it done 'in house'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should be more concerned with the accuracy of the forecasts than the shift arrangements of the presenters. I've lost count of how many times my local TV forecast (on either BBC or ITV) has told me it's raining heavily where I live. I look out the window and the sun is shining !
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, given the nature of weather systems, especially showery weather, it could be raining heavily 5 miles away.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should be more concerned with the accuracy of the forecasts than the shift arrangements of the presenters. I've lost count of how many times my local TV forecast (on either BBC or ITV) has told me it's raining heavily where I live. I look out the window and the sun is shining !

Use a web based tool such as raintoday.co.uk Anyone relying on tv for accurate weather when they have internet access is living in the past
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But, given the nature of weather systems, especially showery weather, it could be raining heavily 5 miles away.

Possibly but I'm talking about when they specifically mention the town where I live and it's on their weather map.

I don't live in the Shetlands or Outer Hebrides so why do I need to know the weather there as I have no plans to go to either place, beautiful though I'm sure they are.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly but I'm talking about when they specifically mention the town where I live and it's on their weather map.
    So your town is less than a few miles across?
    I don't live in the Shetlands or Outer Hebrides so why do I need to know the weather there as I have no plans to go to either place, beautiful though I'm sure they are.
    They mention the Shetlands etc presumably because it is a national forecast. Unless you live close to those two areas they would be unlikely to mention them on a regional English forecast (and doesn't Scotland only have one broadcast region anyway - so any regional forecast there is going to cover the ehole of Scotland).
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Someone lost the forecasting dice?

Or the tea leaves or crystal ball.
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Now, now, you know all official BBC complaints must be directed to either The Daily Mail or ITV :p

After being discussed on Digital Spy of course :D