Options

Demise of the Tax Disc

silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
Forum Member
As many drivers are already aware, the Tax Disc as we know it will no longer be issued after 1st October. With such clever technology these days it is quite simple for gov.uk to check whether our vehicles are insured, MOT'd and taxed without us having to display a disc in the front windscreen. I used to amuse myself on occasions by checking the renew date on cars as I walked passed them down my road so I shall really miss them!! :D

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

I believe there will be many drivers in rural areas who will be not bother! >:(

Comments

• Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I still get mine at the PO. There's a fascination watching them stamp it with their little round stamp thing.

I also sometimes check out tax discs on cars, and if they've taxed at their local PO you can see where they're from too!

[/anorak]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Our village post office doesn't do car tax discs (it's a sub-post office) so I renew on line and believe it or not it is REALLY easy! There's a five day wait for it to arrive in the post. I suppose mine, starting Sept.2014 will be the last to be issued as a disc.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    I suppose mine, starting Sept.2014 will be the last to be issued as a disc.
    Yes, and a month later you can tear it up and throw it away.

By the way, there is quite a long thread already running on this topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    Our village post office doesn't do car tax discs (it's a sub-post office) so I renew on line and believe it or not it is REALLY easy! There's a five day wait for it to arrive in the post. I suppose mine, starting Sept.2014 will be the last to be issued as a disc.

I go to the PO near my workplace. There's approx a 3 minute wait for it to arrive!
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I've done mine on line for a number of years, very easy, which is surprising in something the Governments got a hand in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I've done mine on line for a number of years, very easy, which is surprising in something the Governments got a hand in.
    I have to admit they seem to be getting their act together lately. Recently I've changed the address on my driving licence, changed a digicard, and renewed my passport, all in double-quick time.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, that is what surprised me, and after completing the application I agreed to do the survey about it and gave it full marks for everything it asked. Such a pity other gov.uk websites aren't as easy! :D
  • Options
    The idThe id Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Little do the general public know but it's a complete mess behind the governments spin.:o
    Believe the positive propaganda and your an i#%£.

Only joking as suppose everything is fine and dandy.:D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I have to admit they seem to be getting their act together lately. Recently I've changed the address on my driving licence, changed a digicard, and renewed my passport, all in double-quick time.

I agree. My new passport was returned to me very quickly, yet if I believed all that was being said on TV at the time, it should have taken months. But it took less than two weeks.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    I bet the people who make tax disc holders are over the moon about this.
  • Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was thinking the same thing!
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

......our local branch of ‘Tax Disc Holders R’Us’ have a mega-Sale on at the moment.......
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they will continue and sell pseudo discs to the millions who apparently won't remember their renewal date.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They can branch into circular stickers that read "Why the f*** are you looking at this? Tax discs don't exist anymore - go and catch some real criminals"
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to miss my custom tax-disc holder.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already a big thread on this subject

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1999712
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I go to the PO near my workplace. There's approx a 3 minute wait for it to arrive!

Same here. I walk the 4 minutes to my village post office and get it handed to me over the counter there and then. I then walk home and put the disc in the window holder.
    My car is taxed in under 10 minutes!
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Same here. I walk the 4 minutes to my village post office and get it handed to me over the counter there and then. I then walk home and put the disc in the window holder.
    My car is taxed in under 10 minutes!

You can renew your car tax online if you wish. Saves walking to the Post Office. ;-)

It’s a very quick and easy process; the payment website is excellent and couldn’t be simpler to navigate.

From October 1st you can ‘pay monthly’ for your car tax by direct-debit. No more worries about forgetting to re-new.

The ‘pay monthly’ option carries a 5% premium compared to paying up-front for the full 12-months tax; however, I think it will be a popular choice.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    The ‘pay monthly’ option carries a 5% premium compared to paying up-front for the full 12-months tax; however, I think it will be a popular choice.

I think this option has been introduced prior to making the fee progressively so expensive that most people won't be able to do anything other than this. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can renew your car tax online if you wish. Saves walking to the Post Office. ;-)

It’s a very quick and easy process; the payment website is excellent and couldn’t be simpler to navigate.

From October 1st you can ‘pay monthly’ for your car tax by direct-debit. No more worries about forgetting to re-new.

I prefer to use the local service, and with POs it's a case of 'use it or lose it'.
    I also pay all my utility bills and phone bill at the PO.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tremse wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing!

Saw some on offer in my local pound shop the other day for 10p each.

Lable read > "Buy now...soon to become a collectors item"
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

By the time my laptop's booted up, I've logged on and filled out the online form, I'll have walked to the post office, purchased my tax disc at the counter, have the tax disc in my hand, walked home, put it in my car and be content that I've made a transaction at the local post office, therefore helping its business.

As stated by Welsh lad, who I assume also lives in rural Wales "Use or lose your local facilities".
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Perhaps they will continue and sell pseudo discs to the millions who apparently won't remember their renewal date.
    You still get a reminder
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    But my local post office doesn't do Tax Discs, and it's virtually across the road from me. Only the main PO does and thats 6 miles away, so I've go to get in the car etc etc. So easier to use online.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Already mentioned here.

:D