Options

EE: Would Ian ever get axed?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I was just wondering if future EPs will seize the opportunity to axe Ian Beale? Obviously it would be a very controversial decision but if they play it right, how would you feel about it?

I guess I'm in the minority who dislike the character but I would certainly feel for Woodyatt if this happened. EastEnders is his life!

Comments

• Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wouldn't be axed but I wouldn't miss him or his dull plank of wood son. I find Adam Woodyatt's acting style really annoying if I'm honest. It's like he's reading his lines off cue cards and rushing to catch up. He seems to deliver every line in the exact same way unless he's screeching like a weasel in heat during crying scenes. Sorry if that offends anyone but no one is immune from criticism.

I don't think he should be axed but he's not a favourite of mine and never will be.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    EastEnders would never axe Ian he is one of the untouchables along with Dot, Phil and Sharon they are EastEnders legends and won't be going any where any time soon unless the actors themselves decide they want to leave.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No and he never will be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I don't think so, too much history behind him.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately not. There are certain characters that are untouchable, even though they're destined to go round in ever decreasing circles.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    I dont think we can ever say it will never happen but it is e tremely unlikely.
  • Options
    valeriya1valeriya1 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    his gut needs axing sort yourself out adam
  • Options
    Bart_MitchellBart_Mitchell Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    No and he never will be.
    I hope he stays for a long time to come. :cool:
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't miss him as much as I miss Pauline. Like I said before Pauline was an original character with authority. She would walk into the Vic and everyone would basically bow ahaha. Ian on the other hand doesn't add enough impact to the show. He will never make the same impact Pauline did. I'd be more devastated at Dot going than Ian.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    He's a very iconic character, he was there since the first episode of EE and although I find him painfully annoying sometimes, I wouldn't want the last remaining original character to be axed. :(

Was Sharon there in the first episode? I know she was there in that year though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    valeriya1 wrote: »
    his gut needs axing sort yourself out adam

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is more likely to see a horse flying than Ian Beale being axed! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't miss him as much as I miss Pauline. Like I said before Pauline was an original character with authority. She would walk into the Vic and everyone would basically bow ahaha. Ian on the other hand doesn't add enough impact to the show. He will never make the same impact Pauline did. I'd be more devastated at Dot going than Ian.

I completely agree with this. Even Sharon has more authority which is why I'm glad she's back because Ian was a poor representative of the original cast. I'd also miss Dot more and of course Pauline and Pat owned the square:D
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a very iconic character, he was there since the first episode of EE and although I find him painfully annoying sometimes, I wouldn't want the last remaining original character to be axed. :(

Was Sharon there in the first episode? I know she was there in that year though.

Sharon and Ian are original characters. Dot joined in July 1985 but many people especially my mum think Dot is an original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sharon actually appeared before Ian in the first episode so she's technically the oldest remaining original cast member:D
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon actually appeared before Ian in the first episode so she's technically the oldest remaining original cast member:D

And even her appearing before Ian is a technicality as there was a close up of her hand holding den and Angies anniversary present, before panning out and revealing Sharon, Michelle and Ian in the scene.

I dont think they should axe Ian, and this storyline proves there is still mileage left kn the character. Plus Ian is the character with the most links to the past having always been there and would be a shame to get rid kf him. Hopefully Adam will be there for many years to come
  • Options
    sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance!:D
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I was just wondering if future EPs will seize the opportunity to axe Ian Beale? Obviously it would be a very controversial decision but if they play it right, how would you feel about it?

I guess I'm in the minority who dislike the character but I would certainly feel for Woodyatt if this happened. EastEnders is his life!

I don't think there are any sacred cows in Soap - if there are no longer viable storylines for a character or the actor isn't performing adequately, they shouldn't be exempt from being let go just because thet have been in for decades, won lots of awards in the past, part of an important soap family or a British 'institution'.

However, I think Ian is about as close to being immune to firing (both as a character, last original Beale and actor with Adam having spent his entire adult working life there and being a figurehead for the show) as anybody.

In nearly 30 years I have never become bored of Ian (even when I don't like him I find him interesting and understand him) and can't imagine a situation whereby the character wouldn't be viable, even if it is only in rare appearances grumbling at his kids and grandkids from his armchair as he reaches old age. I also think that Adam is a brilliant actor

So, it'd be a brave EPO that took that step and I for one would hate it.
  • Options
    MiniMeTooMiniMeToo Posts: 17,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

we can only hope...lol
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they haven't run out of things to do with him in thirty years, I doubt they will, he is an integral part of the show
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Unfortunately not. There are certain characters that are untouchable, even though they're destined to go round in ever decreasing circles.

Agreed!

Adam (along with the likes of Steve McFadden and June Brown) will never be axed.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wouldn't be axed but I wouldn't miss him or his dull plank of wood son. I find Adam Woodyatt's acting style really annoying if I'm honest. It's like he's reading his lines off cue cards and rushing to catch up. He seems to deliver every line in the exact same way unless he's screeching like a weasel in heat during crying scenes. Sorry if that offends anyone but no one is immune from criticism.

I don't think he should be axed but he's not a favourite of mine and never will be.

I can not stand Peter Beale, such a vile, miserable, and pointless character if you ask me... Ian has Bobby and Cindy now, it's time they just axed Peter, I think he's Lucy's killer, and he'll be leaving soon!
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The only way an EP would get rid of Ian is if he/she had a nervous breakdown during their stint!

Ian is an asset to the show- one of the best characters there. Such a wonderfully complex character with a rich history on the show & Adam's a fantastic actor.
  • Options
    FookschplatFookschplat Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does Ben have access to an axe ;-) Maybe their is one in the Arches
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    If there was any justice :cool: