Options

Carrie wins Entertainer of the year at the ACMS!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,260
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For Carrie, another great night at the acms last night

Female Vocalist of the year for the 3rd year on the trot to go with 3 CMA female vocalists and 3 grammy country female vocalists to make 9 consecutive major vocal awards

Even better she became only the 7th female ever to win entertainer of the year to completely sew up her place in country music history

She also performed I told you so in a spectacular dress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZUaYX5ZZOs

Entertainer speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsY9MRbiZ6E

Comments

• Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think she would get EOTY, it's a massive accolade and it seems to be particularly hyped because she's the first woman to win it since 2000. Female vocalist of the year was more likely, but it's still good to take that again.

Only 2 albums and she's had 4 Grammy's, 8 ACM Awards and 5 CMA's. That's 3 consecutive wins for female vocalist at all 3 of those awards ceremonies.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Congrats to Carrie! She's won so many awards. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get your post C14E?

So pleased for her - she more than deserves it.
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    She sure did well! I'm so happy for her, she deserves all of these and it's great to see her do so well after idol.
  • Options
    skf1skf1 Posts: 7,857
    Forum Member
    Anyone who knows me on here knows I am a huge Carrie fan.

However, my problem with this win is, it was a public vote, also rather predictable.

In the history of the ACM's there hasn't been many female winners in this category. She joins the ranks of Reba, Dolly, Loretta, Shania (I'm sure I'm missing a couple)

I don't want to take anything away from her award, but I would have prefered to have her win with the ACM members voting. In my opinion the merit of the win has been lost. It was always such a big deal when a female got it.
    I'm hoping they don't allow this again next year. This is considered the biggest award in country music.

I also think Brad Paisley would have won with 'normal' voting.
    Regardless, Well done to her. She did look stunning.

Steph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^

I read on another forum that the award is part voted for by the public but also partly voted for by the Academy who choose not to disclose what weighting is given to each method.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    ^^

I read on another forum that the award is part voted for by the public but also partly voted for by the Academy who choose not to disclose what weighting is given to each method.

Yes and No. This is the first year the public got to vote on this/these awards. (The ACM - Entertainer of the Year)
    However, you could multiple vote as many times as you liked. (which is kinda why it was a predictable win.)

The ACM'S did choose the nominees. She won the nomination.

I may be confusing your post. No ACM award has ever been voted for by the public. It is alll the academy. Last night was the very first time. (and hopefully the last)

Before you know it we'll be having the Oscars voted for by televote! For me it defeats the purpose of the word 'Academy'

Steph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I read was that the award wasn't purely voted for by the public but that the Academy still voted and the votes were combined to find the winner. A bit like what happens on Strictly Come Dancing/ Dancing on Ice etc.

I can't say I'm too bothered how they do it. I'm not a huge fan of awards shows and their voting academies in general. But it's always nice to win stuff and I want her to win because she clearly enjoys it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the confusion may be coming from the fact the academy did vote, but only on the nominations. It was purely a public vote.

I think it's Kenny Chesney (who would have equalled Alabama's 4 straight wins) who, although not mad - disagreed with this years method. In fact he was the first to kiss and congratulate Carrie.

Please, don't take me wrong, I do think Carrie is wonderful! I adore her music.
    In fact, her duet with Brad Paisley should have been nominated!

I'm not a huge fan of award shows, the whole point of the 'People's Choice Awards' is to allow the public a say across the spectrum. When they start doing this, with major award shows - It defeats the purpose.

Anyways Congrats Carrie!

Steph
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Carrie, I personally believe she has outshined Kelly now. But I do love them both.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skf1 wrote: »
    Yes and No. This is the first year the public got to vote on this/these awards. (The ACM - Entertainer of the Year)
    However, you could multiple vote as many times as you liked. (which is kinda why it was a predictable win.)

The ACM'S did choose the nominees. She won the nomination.

I may be confusing your post. No ACM award has ever been voted for by the public. It is alll the academy. Last night was the very first time. (and hopefully the last)

Before you know it we'll be having the Oscars voted for by televote! For me it defeats the purpose of the word 'Academy'

Steph

Actually it wasnt a public vote solely - it was a combo of the member vote and public votes. Weighting has not been disclosed but likely less than 50% for the public.

The fact there has been little backlash shows the industry support she has - if it was wrong they would have all spoken out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of "I Told You So", but she sings it beautifully. That and "All American Girl" showed exactly why she's always winning the vocalist awards. Looking great as ever but I can't make my mind up on the massive dress!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a Dream is my favourite Carrie ballad - although she sings anything beautifully. I've said it before, but Carrie singing San Antonio Rose is my fave Carrie performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lullaby wrote: »
    Actually it wasnt a public vote solely - it was a combo of the member vote and public votes. Weighting has not been disclosed but likely less than 50% for the public.

The fact there has been little backlash shows the industry support she has - if it was wrong they would have all spoken out

Actually, it wasn't! It was 100% fan voted. I have no idea where you are getting your info. (Even at the start of the show - we were even told it was us deciding!)
    Carrie has alot of respect in the industry, I'm not arguing anything in regards to her talent!
    There is no backlash - just mumblings. Kenny Chesney has addressed it.

Personally, as explained above. I like Carrie - but when you can vote multiple times, for me, it takes away the prestige of the actual award.

- I'm going to copy and paste straight from the ACM's own news site.

A youthful wind blew through Las Vegas Sunday night (April 5) as Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift won the two most prestigious awards at the 44th annual Academy of Country Music Awards. In a fan-voted category, Underwood was named the ACM's entertainer of the year, making her the first female to win the title since the Dixie Chicks accepted the honor in 2000. Swift won album of the year honors for Fearless.

Other winners during the event at the MGM Grand included Trace Adkins, Jamey Johnson, Julianne Hough, Rascal Flatts, Sugarland and Brad Paisley.

Underwood was clearly surprised by her win in the fan-voted entertainer of the year category and was literally at a loss for words during her acceptance speech.

If you can direct me to a link on this 50/50 voting (or whatever %) I'd like to read it. Obviously then, the US public including myself has been misinformed. Why would I vote during the show if it wouldn't have changed an outcome? (considering the Academy would have held an upper hand?)

My problem is basically, if that is the scenario, then the academy need to release their votes. Then it would give Carrie all the credit and merit she deserves.

Steph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skf1 wrote: »
    Actually, it wasn't! It was 100% fan voted. I have no idea where you are getting your info. (Even at the start of the show - we were even told it was us deciding!)

From the Academy of Country Music website:
    ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
    This award is presented to the individual, duo or group who showed the most overall success in the country music industry during the preceding calendar year. The factors to be considered in arriving at this award include, but are not limited to, success at radio, sales of prerecorded music, success of music videos, live concert ticket sales, artistic merit, appearances on television, appearances in films, songwriting, writing and contributions to the country music industry. The nominees shall be determined by a nomination ballot(s) and are subject to the approval of the board. The winner shall be determined by a combination of votes from the membership of the ACM and viewer voting.

http://www.acmcountry.com/awards/votingcriteria.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^^
    Thankyou :) I appreciate that.

It still makes me wonder.
    I would love to see the academy's pick/choice (one vote) vs the public (multiple). It would be nice they agreed! (I did vote Carrie)

Again, Thankyou. I've been mislead!

Steph