So do you think that Adam can...

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Did I say that?

I didn't mention the judges at all actually. I said the producers. Things like the OTT light show. I've seen time and time again people complaining about those kinds of things, saying it makes it clear who the producers want to win.

Those comments rarely if ever come from supporters of the contestant concerned or the all important neutrals. They tend to come from supporters of other contestants. If you think someone is good enough or like them enough for whatever reason, you don't really begrudge them favourable treatment.
    alastair_r wrote: »
    I think he'll be bigger in the UK and Europe

He hasn't got as far as he has in the competition due to lack of support in the States so I don't think he will have any problem there, but I am not going to argue with you that I think he will be big in the UK and Europe ................. and South America .................. and Australia ..................... and New Zealand ..................... you only have to look around the net to see the support and interest there is internationally for him already.
    smellyadam wrote: »
    Not excessily but his performances (read as RoF) have been rather expressive and people have translated that as sexual prosmicuity (not my personal view, but there's no denying what people and the press are saying!)

Are you thinking of the right word? Do you actually know what promiscuity means?
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »
    Those comments rarely if ever come from supporters of the contestant concerned or the all important neutrals. They tend to come from supporters of other contestants. If you think someone is good enough or like them enough for whatever reason, you don't really begrudge them favourable treatment.

I disagree with that part. I think the neutrals are more likely to be put off if they think someone is getting favourable treatment. Sense of fair play and all that. No one on the show should be getting favourable treatment, no matter how good they are.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Adam's got bigger 'problems' than his sexuality.

Firstly, some of his performances are rather marmite. I think it's telling that his highest DI raikngs have come of the weeks where he sang 'nice', 'normal' songs e.g. 'Tracks Of My Tears'. When he goes a little bit out there he seems to drop down the rankings a bit - look at 'Ring Of Fire' for a perfect example of this. Personally I think that's his best performance but it was almost like it was too different for some. So does he play it safe from here in order to guarantee votes or be more like himself?

I'd agree with you there. It's a shame that the more out-there stuff is less popular than the 'normal' stuff. Tracks Of My Tears sounded fine, but it didn't distract me from the fact that he'd borrowed Ray Quinn's wardrobe and Tony Hadley's facial expressions.
    His second problem may be the amount of pimping he's suddenly getting. It was kind of obvious this week what with the light show and singing last. Which is fine as long as people don't get too pissed off with the producers putting their weight behind someone blatantly.
    But they managed to rectify their pimping by mad over-running so a load of people didn't actually see the performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Ray and Tony Hadley but neither sprang to mind with TOMT :D

'Pimping' happens in all these shows - from what position you perform to what songs you are given (e.g in shows like Any Dream Will Do where Lee was given Paint it Black and Keith a boring ballad in the final). But Adam picks the songs and it seems to me has a hand in the arrangements so if he gets talked about most I guess he should take credit for that. Equally if ROF was not as popular he has to take the flack.

Us Brits often root for an underdog - not sure about in AI though - have previous winners been underdogs???:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    I disagree with that part. I think the neutrals are more likely to be put off if they think someone is getting favourable treatment. Sense of fair play and all that. No one on the show should be getting favourable treatment, no matter how good they are.

I think that the perceived pimping for any contestant annoys the forum addicts, but the vast majority of the public do not notice it.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EJ1 wrote: »
    Us Brits often root for an underdog - not sure about in AI though - have previous winners been underdogs???:confused:

I could be wrong, but I think only one or two winners have led from the beginning. The usual pattern is for them to emerge around about top 10. Melinda was the early favourite in S6, and Archie in S7.

With the judges' wildcards this year it's been more manipulative than usual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prior to this weeks performance Adam had only had the pimp spot once .. like a lot of the other contestants ... the only one not to have had it was Scott and the producers obviously thought that his performance wasn't worthy of closing the show.

OK Adam has appeared in the latter half of the show with the exception of ROF week when he was 5th out of 11 .. but the producers obviously know who the public are tuning in to watch and that plays a big role in the order of the performances too.

.. plus this week the pimp spot wasn't as advantageous as it could have been for Adam because of the overrunning cock up where many people would have missed his performance ... so in reality he would have been better off going on earlier.

I don't think that Adam's playing safe by choosing ballads and losing some of the make up ... he still had his nail varnish on this week (lol) .. to me he's being brave by changing up his appearance and varying his vocals each week .. it's very easy to come out and do the same old thing every week .. the thing that you're comfortable with .. it's boring and it takes a braver person to try new things and show their versatility.

Tracks of my Tears was totally stripped down and didn't rely on a big production number to carry it .. it left his vocals wide open to be heard .. the same with Mad World .. yes he did the Gary Jules version but he added so may more vocal variations to make it different.

I do agree that he's being pimped as far as the performances go (but there again if I was a producer who had him on my show I'd would stuggle not to pimp him and use him as the main draw) .... but he doesn't get pimped in the group numbers or Ford Videos .. the group numbers seem to be all about Alison .. and Lil.

I think this is the first week in the group number where he's had a little bit more to do .. and boy did they need him ..as they're singing live for the first time and there's some serious tuning issues going on ...lol .... oh and the dancing from some of the guys is cringeworthy ...lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    I think that the perceived pimping for any contestant annoys the forum addicts, but the vast majority of the public do not notice it.

I agree and I think that those that it does annoy to any great extent are the peope who aren't keen on the person being pimped anyway .. if I liked someone it wouldn't put me off them as I would realise that it's not the contestant's fault and that it's TPTB who are behind it.

Rhydian had the same problem .. as a Rhydian fan I do see that he was pimped over the others in certain ways but it didn't put me off him .. whilst it just riled the Rhydian haters and gave them more reason to criticise him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    i dont like male singers but it would not bother me if he won as hes done very well every week , only 2 women left and im not keen on alison , i just wish lil would step it up more as she is my fave but i thinck she will go in the next few weeks if she is not careful as she is no jennifer hudson,kimberly locke , laytoya london etc
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care whether he is gay or not, he is a really good artist and I hope he wins.

I liked David Cook last year because he took risks which nearly always paid off, and Adam is the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    yes i agree his sexuality should not come in to it ,
  • Early DoorsEarly Doors Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Earth to Claire ;) This complaint has been made about the perceived favoured one in all these shows - AI, XF, FA, PI, etc.

In this instant, Danny is clearly the chosen one. That is more glaring than Adam's blue aura.
    EJ1 wrote: »

Americans don't root for underdogs. Americans aim for and appreciate excellence, not mediocrity. That is a very British thing.
    KBBJ wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think only one or two winners have led from the beginning. The usual pattern is for them to emerge around about top 10. Melinda was the early favourite in S6, and Archie in S7.

With the judges' wildcards this year it's been more manipulative than usual.

Only Taylor led every week from the start.

Adam wasn't the early favourite. Danny was. Adam became the bookies' favourite after the first of the last 13 shows and then went back to second favourite the second week for one week (Danny took over as favourite again that week).

Danny was top of the Dialidol rankings the first, second and fourth week and Adam the third and fifth weeks. Both of them have been third once.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earth to Claire ;) This complaint has been made about the perceived favoured one in all these shows - AI, XF, FA, PI, etc.

In this instant, Danny is clearly the chosen one. That is more glaring than Adam's blue aura.

Thanks Earth :p

I'm just saying for the first time yesterday I started to read about Adam being pimped. There were quite a few over at MJ's hoping that he wasn't going to go last because of that - even people who really support him!

It's best not to be seen as 'judge's pet' in these comps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Earth :p

I'm just saying for the first time yesterday I started to read about Adam being pimped. There were quite a few over at MJ's hoping that he wasn't going to go last because of that - even people who really support him!

It's best not to be seen as 'judge's pet' in these comps.

If people have a problem with a contestant being pimped, they are not really supporting them.

I have rarely supported the favourite/front-runner/judges' pet in any of these competitions and I have often felt aggrieved and annoyed that my personal favourite wasn't the chosen one.

It's very easy to say "I like ******** but....." or "******** is very good but....." and only really be trying to make your opinions/assumptions/accusations seem reasoned and objective when the reality of your intentions is very different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    If people have a problem with a contestant being pimped, they are not really supporting them.

I have rarely supported the favourite/front-runner/judges' pet in any of these competitions and I have often felt aggrieved and annoyed that my personal favourite wasn't the chosen one.

It's very easy to say "I like ******** but....." or "******** is very good but....." and only really be trying to make your opinions/assumptions/accusations seem reasoned and objective when the reality of your intentions is very different.

But the die-hard fans don't matter because their favourite could sing the yellow pages out-of-tune whilst wearing a pink tutu and they would think that the performance is amazing...and call a hater anyone who disagrees!

What is important is to vow the general public, the casual voters, and they are the ones that potentially could be put off by the pimping.
    However, I don't think that they see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    What is important is to vow the general public, the casual voters, and they are the ones that potentially could be put off by the pimping.
    However, I don't think that they see it.

If they're wowed, they will think the compliments and anything else are perfectly justified. They won't see it as pimping because they will agree.
  • beauty-1beauty-1 Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam will win, he has the best voice and most charisma of the lot of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beauty-1 wrote: »
    Adam will win, he has the best voice and most charisma of the lot of them.

Whilst I would like to think you're right, it doesn't always happen this way in reality shows.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Me to i am hoping he does a Rhydian making everyone think he has it in the bag and then someone nicks it from him in the last minute :D
    Doesn't matter if he wins or not - he'll be hugely successful and I think Simon will be right behind him(!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he wins or not he'll be the star of AI this year and maybe the whole show