Options

So has Clara left?

wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm really confused, has Clara actually left the show now? There hasn't been any official confirmation of her departure.

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two rumours - one that says she's going at Chrismas, one that says she's going part way through series 9.

I presume if it's the former they'll announce it soon enough because they'll want to introduce the new companion before filming starts in January.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Hope she goes after Xmas.
    Not because I dislike her. But this whole nonsense with her not travelling with the doctor on off on off on off has just got tiresome .
  • Options
    wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thanks guys never saw her in trailer. Hope she has few more episodes left :) needs a better exit.

Interesting, I wanted odgood as the next companion but she no more :(
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I hope not she is by far his best companion yet in New Who
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Judging by the 'she's not ok and neither are you' from santa, Im guessing we will indeed see her in the christmas special at least. I hope I'm wrong though because that seemed like the scene we saw could have been a nice final ending for their relationship, so it seems pointless to get her back for one episode just for her to leave at the end of it (if indeed she does). Also I never took to her as a character and think every episode she is in is an episode where we could be enjoying a new, more likeable companion so I hope we have truly seen the last of her.
  • Options
    PobattiPobatti Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

That's Captain Caveman wearing a nurses dress and fluffy grey slippers :D
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey CD - is that the Journey Blue actress in the XMas episode trailer, about 7 seconds in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Hey CD - is that the Journey Blue actress in the XMas episode trailer, about 7 seconds in

It's probably Natalie Gumede (sp?) that you saw.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    It's probably Natalie Gumede (sp?) that you saw.

Ah, hope so, she's beautiful :)

Edit - oh and she'll put in a great performance too :blush:
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If that is her, please tell me that's not Danny behind her?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're safe - it's a woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Only if he's regenerated into a female as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was no mention of him in the Christmas special and no sight of him during filming. Hopefully we can safely assume he's very dead (and if they bring him back they'll officially ruin Christmas :p:D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    There was no mention of him in the Christmas special and no sight of him during filming. Hopefully we can safely assume he's very dead (and if they bring him back they'll officially ruin Christmas :p:D)

Phew, thanks. You've improved my Christmas considerably.:):D
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The doctor who website has a looking back on danny pink section on the main page at the moment, so thankfully, I think it's safe to say we've seen the last of him. Now I just wait to see if were fully rid of Clara and we can get likeable companion(s).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The doctor who website has a looking back on danny pink section on the main page at the moment, so thankfully, I think it's safe to say we've seen the last of him. Now I just wait to see if were fully rid of Clara and we can get likeable companion(s).

Clara is likeable much more likeable than Amy then again Karen Gillan's character from Guardians Of The Galaxy was more likeable than Amy and she was psycho assassin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The doctor who website has a looking back on danny pink section on the main page at the moment, so thankfully, I think it's safe to say we've seen the last of him. Now I just wait to see if we're fully rid of Clara and we can get likeable companion(s).

I'm glad that Danny has gone. But you say 'wait to see if we're fully rid of Clara'.
    I actually like Clara as a companion and hope she stays for a lot longer.
    I think Jenna plays her well, but in my opinion I think it's important when it comes to what is written for the character.

I think she's probably the best female companion in New Who and plays it just right. Not too much of anything and not the usual template character.
    Without the Danny crap, and without any more 'Saviour of the Universe' storylines, I think she'd be perfect.
    I just like Clara, even if I'm not always overkeen on what they've done with the character.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clara may receive a present at Christmas... ;)
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    Clara may receive a present at Christmas... ;)

Or deliver one labelled Danny methinks...
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member

"We"? Whose "we"? Speak for yourself, I for one liked Clara and will miss her if she goes at Christmas (which is looking very likely).

That's like me saying "We're all happy to see the back of Rose Tyler and trapped in the alternate universe forever because we all hate her guts, good riddance we're all happy now!" Which isn't quite true, just because I personally couldn't stand Rose and was happy to see her go, doesn't mean the rest of the Fandom felt the same way.

Having said that however, as much as I like Clara I do think it's the right time for her to go now and to have someone new join the adventures. :) Personally I hope it's the Cyborg and the Mutant who join Doc 12's adventures, I really like those 2 and feel they still have a lot of potential to give to the show.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wowboy wrote: »
    Ah thanks guys never saw her in trailer. Hope she has few more episodes left :) needs a better exit.

Interesting, I wanted osgood as the next companion but she no more :(

Of course you did; you were supposed to. She's the Doctor Who fan nerd avatar character. Despite what some people will claim Moffat is a skillful writer who usually has the audience dancing to his tune. Look at the hilarious 'Clara is the the Doctor' fake-out, complete with 'new' title sequence. It had me chuckling because I knew at that very moment there would be reactionary, gullible fans working themselves into a frenzy of anger. It's obvious with a second's thought of course that it was a ruse and I'm sure the majority would have known that but there's always that reactionary section who aren't capable of a second's actual consideration even with hindsight, let alone whilst watching.

Look at the muppets who got themselves all worked up at the Doctor's comments about soldiers throughout the series. It was obvious to anyone with any kind of artistic sensibility or understanding of drama that it was a theme that was going to be paid off (as it was in this episode) but so many people just react, instead of analyze. Those are the people writers love. The amusing thing is they can't see it. They think they're being clever, cleverer than the writer; usually, they even think they're critiquing him :p And they are getting played like fiddles.

This is why writers don't listen to fans. The writer's job is to manipulate the audience, not vice versa, and Moffat plays Doctor Who fans wonderfully.

Clara is likeable much more likeable than Amy then again Karen Gillan's character from Guardians Of The Galaxy was more likeable than Amy and she was psycho assassin

I find it really annoying that some people want the character's to be unrelentingly likeable, rather than rounded. Amy Pond and Clara both had flaws. It's called drama.

I thought it was a wonderful, bittersweet ending, and very nicely wrapped up the season's theme of Clara's increasing resemblance to the Doctor. I think it's a shame it's apparently not going to stand as Clara's actual ending but Moffat typically brings me round on these things by writing something excellent.
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy and Rory were fantastic companions. Amy on her own wasn't as good. Rory made her more likeable.

Clara was a poor companion the whole on off on off thing hurt her character. Not living on the TARDIS disconnected her character. Plus the impossible girl story arc was crap. And the Danny Pink story was so thin it had the depth of a cigarette paper.
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Despite what some people will claim Moffat is a skillful writer who usually has the audience dancing to his tune. Look at the hilarious 'Clara is the the Doctor' fake-out, complete with 'new' title sequence. It had me chuckling because I knew at that very moment there would be reactionary, gullible fans working themselves into a frenzy of anger.

You must've been really disappointed to learn afterwards that no-one had any frenzy of anger, just tired sighs of exasperation at yet another example of how corny and gimmicky the show has become.
    It's obvious with a second's thought of course that it was a ruse and I'm sure the majority would have known that but there's always that reactionary section who aren't capable of a second's actual consideration even with hindsight, let alone whilst watching.

It was obvious without even a second's thought. It was just another cheap, corny gimmick that no-one fell for because we're all so tired of Moffat's cheap, corny gimmicks by now.
    Look at the muppets who got themselves all worked up at the Doctor's comments about soldiers throughout the series. It was obvious to anyone with any kind of artistic sensibility or understanding of drama that it was a theme that was going to be paid off (as it was in this episode)

That's certainly what Moffat was trying to do. Whether he succeeded or not is a different matter. Let's see...

For no in-story reason at all the Doctor suddenly starts acting out of character by having a total unreasoning hatred of all soldiers under all circumstances, just so that the end of the arc he can be restored back to his normal grudging tolerance of the "good" ones.

That's a lot to put up with for very little pay-off. Moffat might as well have not bothered in the first place! No, his critics were right even if it was for the wrong reason.

It's like at the beginning of The Time Warrior, when for no reason at all the writers suddenly made the Doctor a sexist misogynist pig, just so that by the end of the season, Sarah Jane could teach him about women's rights. I'd hoped that DW writing standards had improved over the past 41 years, but apparently not!

but so many people just react, instead of analyze. Those are the people writers love. The amusing thing is they can't see it. They think they're being clever, cleverer than the writer; usually, they even think they're critiquing him :p And they are getting played like fiddles.

This is why writers don't listen to fans. The writer's job is to manipulate the audience, not vice versa, and Moffat plays Doctor Who fans wonderfully.

He just needs to learn a few new tunes.
    >:(