Options

Landing On The Moon.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    OnexOne wrote: »
    I t never happened! simple as that! just another hoax by the u.s! years back looking at the millenium i thought after landing on the moon in the 60's we would all be space travelers! but no not even one astronaut stepped back on the moon! as we embark into the new century! unbelievable!

What evidence do you have to support this? Why do you think this, what's the MAJOR thing that is convincing you?
  • Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the major thing is simple! its the year 2008! we stepped on the moon in the 60's! simple
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the major thing is simple! its the year 2008! we stepped on the moon in the 60's! simple

Using that as evidence of a hoax is a logical fallacy, but lets side step that for a moment. The major reason for the Moon Landings in the first place was political. The Americans wanted to beat the soviets in the cold war, thus the space race.

If you had any idea of the size and scale of Apollo, you would understand why it's not as simple to throw together. There is the money issue for a start, and then necessity as a second reason.

That said, they ARE sending men back to the moon. There is currently a program in development called Constellation that will put men on the moon again by hopefully 2018 ish.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been on the moon - now they're on Mars!
    :eek:
  • Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so we got to the moon in 1969 and now in the year 2008 we aint even close to getting back there! so weve to believe this scam?
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    I t never happened! simple as that! just another hoax by the u.s! years back looking at the millenium i thought after landing on the moon in the 60's we would all be space travelers! but no not even one astronaut stepped back on the moon! as we embark into the new century! unbelievable!

Please forgive me if I come across as rude, but it truly saddens me to see that you are so ignorant. My suggestion would be to do some research before you start posting about something that you clearly know nothing about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok so we got to the moon in 1969 and now in the year 2008 we aint even close to getting back there! so weve to believe this scam?

OnexOne, all the expertise have gone, all the employees retired (most of them anyway). This time we are not going with the ultimate goal of landing on the moon. They are developing a new generation of spacecraft for human spaceflight. NASA has formed the Constellation Program to achieve the objectives of maintaining American presence in low Earth orbit, returning to the Moon for purposes of establishing an outpost, and laying the foundation to explore Mars and beyond in the first half of the 21st century!!!
  • Options
    martyn20martyn20 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member

Its a simple answer money, they needed it for other things, now the president has said lets go back and then Mars after that, the money is now there so the shuttle stops and Ares/Orion arrives.
    Your conclusion has been based on your problems with the US government, try researching Nasa and you will find easy answers to all your questions
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Bermuda on holiday in 1985 but have NEVER BEEN BACK SINCE! Therefore my holiday in Bermuda in 1985 was a HOAX!
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Some of the posts in this thread are making my brain hurt with their stupidity.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that they tested the DPS on the LM for mid course corrections prior to Apollo 13.

Not so. How would that have happened?? The LM needed all the fuel it had for descending to the moon.

The LM was tested in earth orbit on Apollo IX but I have no recollection of it being used to manaoevre the whole CSM LM stack.

Apollo VIII did not have a lunar module. Grummans were late with the LM and so the decision was taken to send Apollo VIII to the moon rather than wait until the LM was available for testing in earth orbit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not so. How would that have happened?? The LM needed all the fuel it had for descending to the moon.

The LM was tested in earth orbit on Apollo IX but I have no recollection of it being used to manaoevre the whole CSM LM stack.

Apollo VIII did not have a lunar module. Grummans were late with the LM and so the decision was taken to send Apollo VIII to the moon rather than wait until the LM was available for testing.

Indeed you are correct, all though I'm sure Apollo 8 flew with the Lunar Test Article? That was basically ballast though but meh. I'll try to read up on where I saw this, I may have mistaken it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoaxslayer wrote: »
    Indeed you are correct, all though I'm sure Apollo 8 flew with the Lunar Test Article? That was basically ballast though but meh. I'll try to read up on where I saw this, I may have mistaken it.

There were some very serious problems with the lunar module engine when it tried to do the first burn. I would need to check the details but initially it looked as if it might not work. Will look into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    honeypot wrote: »
    Thank you to all the posters contributing such interesting information. I grew up watching all the space missions and will never forget the moon landing (especially as it was on my birthday). Thank you also for the links, I feel several hours will be lost reading it all.
    I would just like to ask if any of you well informed posters can remember back to the 70's when one of the capsules was displayed in the UK? If so which one was it? I can clearly remember walking round it and looking into the capsule but for the life of me can not remember which one it was.

It is in the Science Museum in London. It was the Apollo X command module. The crew was Stafford, Young and Cernan the latter two going on to be moonwalkers themselves.
  • Options
    honeypothoneypot Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much HenryGarten. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    It is in the Science Museum in London. It was the Apollo X command module. The crew was Stafford, Young and Cernan the latter two going on to be moonwalkers themselves.

When I first saw that in the Science Museum, I couldn't believe how small it was.
  • Options
    Tommei-UKTommei-UK Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    I went to Bermuda on holiday in 1985 but have NEVER BEEN BACK SINCE! Therefore my holiday in Bermuda in 1985 was a HOAX!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I first saw that in the Science Museum, I couldn't believe how small it was.

Indeed, it is REALLY small. 3.2 metres high, and 3.9 metres wide. Three guys have to fit in that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hoaxslayer wrote: »
    Indeed, it is REALLY small. 3.2 metres high, and 3.9 metres wide. Three guys have to fit in that!

I didn't think it was real because it was so small! Incredible really. Talk about claustrophobic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the location of all the Apollo command modules. See command modules.
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was real because it was so small! Incredible really. Talk about claustrophobic.

Don't forget these things seemed bigger when in use by:

a) Stowing the couches away during the day.

b) Having an access tunnel to the LM during Earth-Moon transit.

c) Zero G giving the access to all the usable space in the capsule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't forget these things seemed bigger when in use by:

a) Stowing the couches away during the day.

b) Having an access tunnel to the LM during Earth-Moon transit.

c) Zero G giving the access to all the usable space in the capsule.

Interesting!
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »

Too right it was a hoax, if you sailed that far West you'll fall off the edge of the world.

:D
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Here is the location of all the Apollo command modules. See command modules.

Oh cool.

Lunar Module "Snoopy" In heliocentric orbit

Imagine recovering that - it would make a fortune if you could re-enter with it in one piece.
  • Options
    eggpuffeggpuff Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you are travelling towards the moon - do you aim your craft at the top, middle or bottom surface.
    would you be able to land at the bottom? - or would your craft be the wrong way up or would gravity flip it over?