Someone else taking credit for your work??

2»

Comments

• StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Send it to his manager and cc him into it. You will have still complied with his request for information.

This or send it to the manager apologising to your supervisor that you must have misunderstood who to send it to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Send it to his manager and cc him into it. You will have still complied with his request for information.

Another good idea, ardwark.

My supervisor, though, is the sort of person who likes to lie to managers about how much pressure he is under work-wise, and so he will deliberately withhold reports, etc from them so that they don't expect more of him.

I think if I cc him (or cc the manager) he will have a go at me, because it will look as though the work has been completed already, and he wants it to look as though we are in the middle of it.

Right now, I'm stuck here with absolutely nothing to do apart from post on DS, wishing that there was some more work to make the day go a bit quicker so that I could get out of this hell hole.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    This or send it to the manager apologising to your supervisor that you must have misunderstood who to send it to.

I think he'd be very suspicious if I did that - I've already said to him on numerous occasions (including today),

"why don't I just email it to the manager now to save you doing it on Monday?"

He'd know what I was up to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are colluding with his fraud. You'll both be sacked when it is discovered. Send the report to the definitive recipient.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are colluding with his fraud. You'll both be sacked when it is discovered. Send the report to the definitive recipient.

I can't do that, because I answer to the supervisor, and if he says it's incomplete then I have to go along with that.

Neither of us would be sacked - I think that's a slight over-reaction. The company don't particularly care what we do as long as the various orders get sent out. I just think from a moral point of view, it's unfair to take credit for someone else's work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are colluding with his point of view so I don't get what you want.

Yes it is fraud. He is fraudulently claiming overtime which you are enabling him to do. Anyway, since you just wanted to moan and not seek advice, I'll take my leave. Good luck on the Job Seekers Allowance :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are colluding with his point of view so I don't get what you want.

Yes it is fraud. He is fraudulently claiming overtime which you are enabling him to do. Anyway, since you just wanted to moan and not seek advice, I'll take my leave. Good luck on the Job Seekers Allowance :p

Quite a flippant comment to make. I didn't "just (want) to moan and not seek advice" at all - I wanted to solicit the opinions of other people to see what they had done in similar situations, and to make a judgement for myself as to whether this particular incident warranted the same course of action given that I am not a permanent member of staff, and given that the work is a stock count, not a comprehensive study into buying and selling (or something of that ilk).

I appreciate that you took the time to respond, but berating me because I don't agree with you is not constructive advice at all.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming the results are on a Word document or spreadsheet, you could make sure your name as author is presented somewhere obvious for your supervisor to see (and remove, no doubt) but also discreetly in a page header or footer, unlikely to be viewed on screen but clearly visible when printed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fainéant wrote: »
    Assuming the results are on a Word document or spreadsheet, you could make sure your name as author is presented somewhere obvious for your supervisor to see (and remove, no doubt) but also discreetly in a page header or footer, unlikely to be viewed on screen but clearly visible when printed.

Done:). Good idea about the header and footer - will do. I think I'll leave it at that - no point getting any more worked up than necessary over a flipping spreadsheet:D.

Thanks for all your examples and helpful advice, everyone.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Mrs B. i hate people like him, I hope he gets his just desserts >.<
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Good Luck Mrs B. i hate people like him, I hope he gets his just desserts >.<

Aw, thanks studmuffin:). Thought I'd ask my dad for some 'dad advice', and he said much the same as you.
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsBambi wrote: »
    I would but I don't think they'd take much notice of me since I'm only a lowly temp, and he's in with the boys at the top. (It's a very male-orientated organisation.)

That's good advice, merlinsmum. I think I will email the manager on Monday at some point to see if she wants to go over the spreadsheet.

:confused: It's a "boys club" but the manager is a she?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melp26 wrote: »
    :confused: It's a "boys club" but the manager is a she?

She's very much 'one of the lads' - but I think it took a number of years for that to be the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok - I sent the report to supervisor, but I think I accidentally (honestly!) made it a read-only file, and now it won't go back.... Could work to my advantage??:D
  • Wobbly SteveWobbly Steve Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

better still - email him the spreadsheet as directed, but bcc the senior manager....

yr manager gets the work you did - ready to take credit ....

but you've blind copied the senior manager already....

your manager won't see that you've blind copied.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    better still - email him the spreadsheet as directed, but bcc the senior manager....

yr manager gets the work you did - ready to take credit ....

but you've blind copied the senior manager already....

your manager won't see that you've blind copied.......

Wow - I didn't even think of that! Good thing to know for next time. I've already sent it now though, and in any case - the managers are much more pally with him than me, and would almost certainly see it as me being deliberately sneaky.
  • Wobbly SteveWobbly Steve Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsBambi wrote: »
    Wow - I didn't even think of that! Good thing to know for next time. I've already sent it now though, and in any case - the managers are much more pally with him than me, and would almost certainly see it as me being deliberately sneaky.

No disrespect intended, and I know that a job is a job is a job etc..... - but do you really want to work under someone who is a complete and utter knob!

BTW - which of you is being deliberately sneaky !!? You for doing the work (and quite rightly wanting some recognition for it), or your manager for doing bugger all and claiming the credit for your work.

One other tip... if you are doing spreadsheet work you can range protect areas of the sheet... do that but neglect to tell your boss.

They pass on your work to their manager (get credit for it) - but (if)when the senior manager wants to work on it themselves - but can't because some of the data is protected - they will ask your manager for the password, he will ask you - "oh dear", you say, "i've forgotten".... then sit back and watch as (s)he tries to explain to the senior manager..

P.S...... if you wanted to, you could then email the required password directly to the senior manager (after a few hours)...;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No disrespect intended, and I know that a job is a job is a job etc..... - but do you really want to work under someone who is a complete and utter knob!

BTW - which of you is being deliberately sneaky !!? You for doing the work (and quite rightly wanting some recognition for it), or your manager for doing bugger all and claiming the credit for your work.

One other tip... if you are doing spreadsheet work you can range protect areas of the sheet... do that but neglect to tell your boss.

They pass on your work to their manager (get credit for it) - but (if)when the senior manager wants to work on it themselves - but can't because some of the data is protected - they will ask your manager for the password, he will ask you - "oh dear", you say, "i've forgotten".... then sit back and watch as (s)he tries to explain to the senior manager..

P.S...... if you wanted to, you could then email the required password directly to the senior manager (after a few hours)...;)

Thanks again for the advice, Steve. It's an isolated incident and if anything even remotely like this happens again, I won't hesitate to get him into serious trouble. I'll see what comes of it. Apparently we are getting another delivery tomorrow, so he might have a couple of small bits to add to the spreadsheet - we shall see. Not sure I believe that, but since I'm not working tomorrow I don't particularly care.

I haven't hesitated to report someone at work in the past who wasn't pulling their weight, but that was after a catalogue of transgressions on their part.

Anyway, as I said - I'll just see how it pans out.

Thanks again.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are numerous ways to reveal someone's antics without obviously looking like you're out to cause trouble. Passwords, range protection, inserting headers & footers, even something really simple like freezing panes can work in your favour. The manager I caught out knew nothing about formatting the document I'd worked so hard on, so putting in the password & footer hurdles were more than enough to show him up. I know someone who did a huge Word document & then found out their line manager was claiming they'd done all the work - when it was returned to them for editing changes, they set it up to show all the formatting just before they went on leave & made sure everyone except that person got the good version. The line manager hadn't a clue how to correct it. :D I'm a firm believer in using your skills to your benefit if someone looks like they want to use them for theirs. :)
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondered how it all went?:)
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he was planning to pretend to do the work over the weekend I'd email it to the manager on Friday afternoon with a copy to your supervisor saying that you've managed to complete the work as requested and you are happy to discuss it if necessary.

This guy needs to get the message.