Options

New (rubbish) oven in rented flat

purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Morning all,

I rent my flat and my landlord replaced our oven back in mid February. I wasn't happy with it from the start and told him (it only has one shelf and I could see it wasnt as good as the old one), he explained that it was the ONLY oven that would fit in the gap (the oven is 50cm wide) and it had to have a FSD (as I live in a flat).

Now I've lived with this oven for a few months and I hate it. It only goes up to gas 8, only has one shelf, the rings seem dangerous as you have to very carefully position the pans or they will tip over. Biggest problem is it just doesn't seem to cook the food properly. Chips (cooked at a gas mark higher, on one higher shelf for 5 minutes longer) come out white and undercooked, the meat on pizza's never seem to crisp up properly and fish cakes are soggy! Have I left it too long to complain again to him? I'm also rather upset as it appears I was lied too. You can get ovens at this width with an FSD but it appears he only wanted to pay £199, no more. He got the cheapest oven possible.

It needs replacing and I need to find a way of getting him to do this otherwise I think we will rent somewhere else, it's really annoying me that much!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Purple

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Put it in storage and buy your own. Thats what I had to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put it in storage and buy your own. Thats what I had to do.

I love to but I have no where to store it and neither do I have the £250-£300 for a half decent oven.....Renting another place just because of the oven is probably a bit silly though! :D
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure you have no option. He has to provide a working, safe cooker. He's done that. Just because you don't like it is neither here nor there.

Doesn't sound like you can appeal to the better side of his nature either so looks like you're stuck with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you thought of one of those combi oven/microwave units? They are not too pricey and very handy. It seems unlikely he will replace the unit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's unlikely he will replace it, I guess I'm more annoyed that he lied to me than anything :0( It's a shame as he seems like a really nice man on the whole. It's certainly not that I don't like it - I don't think it's an appropriate oven for a family!

I'm quite laid back and am not the kind of person to complain without a very good reason......Think I'll just have to suck it up!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you thought of one of those combi oven/microwave units? They are not too pricey and very handy. It seems unlikely he will replace the unit.

That's what I got. Annoying though as you need 2 if you want to cook and use the microwave.
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Pretty sure you have no option. He has to provide a working, safe cooker. He's done that. Just because you don't like it is neither here nor there.

I agree. You'll just have to put it down to experience and make sure you play close attention to the appliances when you view properties in future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhod wrote: »
    I agree. You'll just have to put it down to experience and make sure you play close attention to the appliances when you view properties in future.

The old oven got replaced. So couldn't really view a new one although a good landlord would take you out and show you what was available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old oven got replaced. So couldn't really view a new one although a good landlord would take you out and show you what was available.

That's would I would have hoped - he would have given me a couple of options rather than telling me a lie as he didn't want to pay anymore! He got the cheapest Beko one possible!! I would have prefered to have kept the old oven but now all ovens in flats have to have FSD's so I understand he had to replace it.

Still, when the LO starts school (not for 3½ years though!) we will rent a house as we will have the extra money as we won't be paying for so much childcare. I shal be checking the appliances very carefully though!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Argh, I have something similar to this except with a sofa. I know it sounds daft, but it's like sitting on a park bench and it keeps breaking. I've begged for it to be replaced, but the landlord just does a patch-up job each time. He won't replace it and it doesn't appear he's obliged to either as long as he "fixes" it each time.

In short, unless this new oven somehow breaks then I doubt your landlord will replace it either. Unless they really have no other option, it seems they're unwilling to bend. I mean hey, it's not them that has to live with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reviews I've read lead me to believe it will only last a couple of years.........false economy IMO! Still, I guess it's not my money and he has his own family to support
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the others tbh. Not much you can do except by your own.

With regards to things not cooking right, you will just need to adapt to the new oven. After all, the cooking instructions on all food say it is a guideline and you may need to adapt the times and temperature to suit your appliance.

Chips for example, in my opinion they never cook in the time stated on the bag. They always need AT LEAST another 10 minutes. But the ones I use the most have an extra 15 minutes. I don't particularly like oven chips, especially when they have no colour in them, are soggy and undercooked.

Something you could do relatively cheaply is get an oven thermometer to make sure the oven is actually getting up to the right temperature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I agree with the others tbh. Not much you can do except by your own.

With regards to things not cooking right, you will just need to adapt to the new oven. After all, the cooking instructions on all food say it is a guideline and you may need to adapt the times and temperature to suit your appliance.

Chips for example, in my opinion they never cook in the time stated on the bag. They always need AT LEAST another 10 minutes. But the ones I use the most have an extra 15 minutes. I don't particularly like oven chips, especially when they have no colour in them, are soggy and undercooked.

Something you could do relatively cheaply is get an oven thermometer to make sure the oven is actually getting up to the right temperature.

That's an idea, if it's not actually as hot as it should be then surely he can get himself a refund as it must be under warranty....Will look into that!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »

Doesn't sound like you can appeal to the better side of his nature either so looks like you're stuck with it.

Not actually true. A landlord only has to provide a working cooker if the property is a HMO (house of multiple occupation) or it is written in the terms of the agreement or if one was supplied at the begining of the rental agreement.

You may be unhappy with he new one he has supplied so your options are:

Buy your own, move or asking him is there any case of replacing it.
  • Options
    KarmaChameleonKarmaChameleon Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never once looked at the cooking times on food. I had a rubbish cooker in my halls at uni and you should just try leaving stuff in for longer!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should also factor time for the oven to warm up... I thrown things in the oven as soon as it's turned on and just add 5-10mins... simples!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I obviously heat the oven for 10 minutes but when you are cooking for a toddler and then later on for yourself and the other half having to add 10-15 minutes extra for each meal is a real PITA!!!
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the new cooker have a flame supervision device fitted? I believe it's now illegal to install a new cooker in a flat if the cooker doesn't have an FSD.

Was it installed by a qualified fitter? If so he should have checked that before installing it.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Does the new cooker have a flame supervision device fitted? I believe it's now illegal to install a new cooker in a flat if the cooker doesn't have an FSD.

Was it installed by a qualified fitter? If so he should have checked that before installing it.

In the first post the op says it does have an FSD.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    In the first post the op says it does have an FSD.

Ah. I must put on my glasses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered a halogen oven?
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    It sounds as though it's faulty-not reaching temperature. Tell your landlord before the warranty runs out.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but now all ovens in flats have to have FSD's so I understand he had to replace it.
    Nah, its at worst "not to current standards" but doesnt have to be swapped as its an existing appliance, the fsd rule only covers new appliances, so its even still legal to fit a non fsd cooker as long as it was sold/manufactured before the new rules.

What is the make/model you have ?
  • Options
    tk99uktk99uk Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Have you actually told your landlord that the cooker's crap and worse than your old one? I can't see anywhere in your posts where you say you have. He can't do anything about it unless you tell him.

He's not using it so he has no way of knowing it's crap. Give him some of the examples you've given here, especially about the hob being unstable and food being undercooked when you've followed the instructions. These are all dangerous.

You need to, at least, give him the opportunity to do something about it.