Cake

purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have a cake bake at work next week and I wanted to make some simple vanilla fairy cakes. I have all the ingredients (I do have stork margarine rather than butter as my Nan always used it) but just wanted some tips as my cakes never seem to rise very well, should I use some baking powder even though I have self-raising flour? Any other tips to make the perfect fairy cakes is welcome!

Thanks,

Purple

Comments

• the.watsonthe.watson Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adding a tiny bit will help. Put too much in and at makes it worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Whisk whisk whisk!

Dont open the oven door until ready.

Use jamie olivers victoria sponge recipe, you wont go wrong.

You can then add vanilla etc
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I don't whisk enough? Am picking up an electric whisk tomorrow so that might help too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyG wrote: »
    Whisk whisk whisk!

Dont open the oven door until ready.

Use jamie olivers victoria sponge recipe, you wont go wrong.

You can then add vanilla etc

Thought the electric whisk would help! Tomorrow is my trial run as the cake bake is on Thursday so I'll be baking on Wednesday!

Another thought, I love walnut cake but can't have the nuts too big as my little boy may choke. If I was to use ground walnuts, use enough to replace a quarter of the flour, would that effect the cooking time or anything?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make and sell cakes so a few tips from me would be
    - Pre heat the oven beforehand
    - Beat the butter and sugar for quite a while, maybe 5 minutes until the mix goes pale and fluffy.
    - Add the eggs one at a time, with a teaspoon of flour with each egg
    - I sieve the SF flour twice and fold it in with a wooden spoon, don't over stir because the mix can lose air.
    - Put the mix in the cases and in the oven pretty quickly
    - Don't open the oven door until they are cooked

Hope this helps! :]
  • petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4, 4, 4 and 2 :)

my mum uses this recipe for all types of sponge cakes, whether sh'es turning it into a big cake or little fairies, and it always turns out amazing.

4oz flour (sr)
    4oz sugar
    4oz marg (she uses Stork too :D)
    2 eggs

nothing fancy, just mix together and whap it in the oven :) Oooh and she ALWAYS uses the basics range of stuff, and folkcan never tell the difference!

EDIT: Sorry just realised you didn't actually want to hear what I wrote but I'm keeping it in anyway lol!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petral_gal wrote: »
    4, 4, 4 and 2 :)

my mum uses this recipe for all types of sponge cakes, whether sh'es turning it into a big cake or little fairies, and it always turns out amazing.

4oz flour (sr)
    4oz sugar
    4oz marg (she uses Stork too :D)
    2 eggs

nothing fancy, just mix together and whap it in the oven :) Oooh and she ALWAYS uses the basics range of stuff, and folkcan never tell the difference!

EDIT: Sorry just realised you didn't actually want to hear what I wrote but I'm keeping it in anyway lol!!

No, that's great, this is the recipe I've always used (which seems to be less involved than the victoria sponge one), am going to start baking now using my new electric whisk ;):D
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the electric whisk would help! Tomorrow is my trial run as the cake bake is on Thursday so I'll be baking on Wednesday!

Another thought, I love walnut cake but can't have the nuts too big as my little boy may choke. If I was to use ground walnuts, use enough to replace a quarter of the flour, would that effect the cooking time or anything?

Heat up the oven in plenty of time, sieve a lot, whisk a lot, then whisk a bit more.

Are the gound walnuts for the cake bake at work? If they are, make sure everyone who has a cake knows this in case they are allergic to nuts. they should ask, but if you do put nuts in, it helps to put a little sign up with them, saying 'These DO contain nuts'. 'May contain nuts' when something does definitely contain nuts is really confusing.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please let us know how the cakes turn out !:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were delicious but a bit flat, that's probably because I'm using fairy cake cases but I could only find a bun/muffin tin. Next time I'll put more into each case and just cook them for a bit longer...would I need to reduce the heat a little?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Im currently obsessed with making cupcakes, but all the recipes i use have plain flour (and baking powder) not self raising flour.

And they rise beautifully and are lovely and light!

EDIT: here is a link to the recipe i use from hummingbird bakey http://es.homesandproperty.co.uk/this_weekend/recipes/vanillacupcakes.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COMPLETE disaster! I dropped an egg and wasn't able to buy anymore.....decided to add a bit of milk but they fell completely flat and didn't cook properly! Needless to say they were put in the bin (if I had feed them to the birds I doubt they could have flown afterwards!) :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah the essence of a perfect cupcake. I say go for the muffin size cases. This way not much rising is required.

I used to use electric mixer but nowadays I use a traditional wooden spoon, this makes much nicer cakes. I mix until I get kind of torn look (most people might say this is overdoing it) but to me ths is ideal. Like when making bread the wholes mean the kneading is done. I use the same logic for cake.

And for me 8oz 8oz 8oz flour, olivio (any olive marg), sugar, 3 eggs, a few drops vanilla essence, or if chocolate about a tablespoon cocoa powder, or until the mix looks chocolatey enough.

Bake 160-180c fan based oven (depending if I bothered to look at the dial) (and I put them in there with a cold oven) 20mins ta da. Always airy and moist not sure if thats different from other peoples
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sieve the flour twice !

The more air you capture in the mix the lighter your cakes will be :)
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FakeFlower wrote: »
    Im currently obsessed with making cupcakes, but all the recipes i use have plain flour (and baking powder) not self raising flour.

And they rise beautifully and are lovely and light!

EDIT: here is a link to the recipe i use from hummingbird bakey http://es.homesandproperty.co.uk/this_weekend/recipes/vanillacupcakes.html

I've made those cakes - I don't get why they ask for unsalted butter and then add salt?!

I don't add the salt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - Make sure butter and eggs are at room temperature.
    - Use electric beaters and cream butter and caster sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved and very pale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    o and I never do the sugar butter creaming thing either. I just chuck it all in a bowl and mix with the spoon.