Was Lorde win at VMA a insult to rock music.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does any true rock fans feel MTV VMA insult anyone who plays on a drum or guitar.

Comments

• crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole show is an insult to music.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slipknot have a new album out this year. Hopefully they'll be a shoe in for Best Hip Hop next year.
  • StandByMe89StandByMe89 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Lorde herself couldn't figure out why she won a rock award at the Billboard awards. I think with the state of popular music today these award shows find it hard to fill up the categories.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    LOL

Royals being considered as a rock song is both baffling and hilarious. :D Then again didn't Sugababes win Best Dance Act at The Brit Awards in 2003? Says more about the people who draw the shortlists.

Lorde is pop. Her music might not sound like Oops! I Did It Again or Genie In A Bottle, but she's as pop as you can get in 2014.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The categories are messed up,
    How can one person win best female video and another female win best overall or whatever it is.
    Ugh.
    They should just call it "here's a mixture of who's popular and who agreed to perform so get your tits out wooohooooo"
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise its an advert you are watching?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Thats a pretty negative way to look at things imo
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jethro Tull won best Metal track once at the Grammy's....over Metallica.

Cue much hand wringing from the masses.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call Lorde rock at all...Pop, maybe.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lorde?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS rock music does not need to be played on drums and guitars.
    Forum Member
    Lorde?

:p

She had a hit with "Royals". I can't post a link because I'm at work. I think that she won a GRAMMY for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    :p

She had a hit with "Royals". I can't post a link because I'm at work. I think that she won a GRAMMY for it.

Doesn't sound familiar, sorry :p
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound familiar, sorry :p

Fair enough :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Lorde but even i was dumbfounded by this. Blame the people who do the categories though. They are clearly idiots.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't it really prove how dead rock and indie are at the moment though?

I was looking at this year Reading/Leeds playlist and it struck me by and large its all older bands in the top slots. Nothing wrong with older bands, but there's a clear lack of youth coming through replenishing the ranks.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The MTV Awards are all rigged. MTV wanted Lorde there but they can't nominate her into the usual categories because they're already filled up, have no space left and already know who the winners are because they're coming/performing at the event.

So what do they do? They make sure she's nominated in a category regardless whether it's right and wrong and tell her she's the winner of it. End of story and a massive f you to all the rest.

MTV wins, Lorde wins, game over. The fact Lorde accepted the award knowing full well her winning was wrong shows how corrupt everything is. If she is as credible as she claims to be she should have refused it.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that there was a misspelling and that it was Lordi (the winners of the Eurovision Song Contest in 2006).

And then when I read that it was Lorde (incidentally, this is Royals), I was thinking "WTF?", as there is no way she can be classed as rock.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Lorde and the song. But it's not rock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay it's a joke. It's also light entertainment for people who are into pop music and people who are into radio hits and celebrity lifestyle gossip etc etc.

Not seeing the point in taking it all so seriously.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay it's a joke. It's also light entertainment for people who are into pop music and people who are into radio hits and celebrity lifestyle gossip etc etc.

Not seeing the point in taking it all so seriously.

Because it plays itself as a serious show.

That's as bad as the people who say 'don't like it, don't watch it' about one of your favourite shows that's just changed. The reason you DO complain about things is because just sitting back and letting it slide isn't going to get anything done to change something that's unfair and silly. Especially if it's something you like and care about, you get pissed off about something like this making a mockery of it.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS rock music does not need to be played on drums and guitars.

Yes it does.

It's the law. ;-)
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The MTV Awards are all rigged. MTV wanted Lorde there but they can't nominate her into the usual categories because they're already filled up, have no space left and already know who the winners are because they're coming/performing at the event.

So what do they do? They make sure she's nominated in a category regardless whether it's right and wrong and tell her she's the winner of it. End of story and a massive f you to all the rest.

MTV wins, Lorde wins, game over. The fact Lorde accepted the award knowing full well her winning was wrong shows how corrupt everything is. If she is as credible as she claims to be she should have refused it.

I like the VMAs but people take them too seriously. They're MTV fluff.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    Yes it does.

It's the law. ;-)

Keyboards/synths are allowed too but yes guitars & drums are mandatory
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I think the VMAs are an insult to music in general.

There was a point at the start of 00s that i thought we have hit rock bottom but i was wrong, you can go lower.