Doctor Who: Listen BBC One/HD /09/2014 7.30 pm Official Thread

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Wow don't usually watch Doctor Who.. Is it always as bad as that. Absolute rubbish

Thanks for that!
    Yep, it's always rubbish, that's Doctor Who for you - I wouldn't bother to watch it anymore if I were you. Bye then!
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why have the mods still not bothered to pin this thread and add a poll?

The nest thing to do would be to merge the two threads, this one and the one with the poll.

I voted good by the way, the last 15 minutes spoiled what should have been a classic, not for the first time people disagree with me, but I'm used to that on here.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I just changed my argument. I can put Listen in with his arcs as Im talking about his overall approach to writing whether it being a long arc or just a standalone. I'm not annoyed about the fact Listen was ambiguous. I thought I was I admit that but I no longer think that.

My issue is that it was yet another storyline by Moffat where instead of giving a satisfying end it's just here make up your own mind. I just want a storyline from him that has a beginning, middle and end. Look at Blink. We still talk about it today but it isn't like it had unanswered questions. It was just a solid story with a decent end. It just seemed like another episode where concept overtook story to me. He doesn't do it all the time. But he does it enough to become annoying now to me. For example I am 99% sure whatever this Missy storyline is wont ever be 100% revealed. There will always be an unanswered question.

In investigating a commonly held fear the Doctor inadvertently instills that same fear in his younger self who is already a timid and fearful child. Luckily he also imparts some stirring words of wisdom through his proxy Clara, which will serve him well in future.

Nothing terribly ambiguous in that..epic maybe, ambiguous no.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7/10 in my opinion. I enjoyed the episode but I don't think it is anywhere near as good as the best episodes of Doctor Who
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there was a plot I was being a little too OTT but I just feel that story has really been taking a backseat. We've had three lighter episodes with more ridiculous out-there plots and now I thought was the time where he was gonna knuckle down and really go strong with a belter of a creepy story. But it was paced so awkwardly. The whole monster stuff would come to a grinding halt during the Danny dating scene. That's fine in a 2 hour film not so when you only have 45 minutes. I like character stuff and individually I like the dating scenes just dont completely stop your dark, interesting, complex in favour for a gooey light dinner date. It's jarring.

Moffat comes up with a fascinating concept and then runs it into the ground a little. Instead of getting many moments like the bed scene, mainly we get Capaldi walking around with a scared face giving all these creepy sentences. As we can see by the response the bed scene worked. But whenever Capaldi gave another rhetorical question I sort of cringed a little. It was like Moffat was going "hey everyone look how great and creepy and relateable my concept is! Okay remember how great it is, yeah?!". And then in the end it this great creepy concept falls flat when in the typical M. Night Moffat twist everything isn't how it seems and in turn creates huge plot holes.

So the thing on the bed was a kid playing a prank? I'm sorry I defended Moffat for a while in his Who run but that is bull****. Have faith in your concept and give it a satisfying ending! It's like he realized "hang on there is no way I can give this a worthwhile conclusion" so he took the easy route 1 way out of... it's all not real.

This ending is essentially "And it was all a dream".

I agree with all you've said. Actually, having watched all the episodes of this season so far, I'm not sure if Dr Who is cleverer than I think it is and I don't yet get it, or if it is just a little bit childish...There have been some GREAT Dr Who episodes but it's not hitting it yet. I'm only watching out of curiosity and for Peter Capaldi
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    7/10 in my opinion. I enjoyed the episode but I don't think it is anywhere near as good as the best episodes of Doctor Who

I posted my comment before seeing yours!
  • GiarcYekrubGiarcYekrub Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it, I loved the ambiguity, make up your own mind, personally not seeing made it spookie,r rather desentirised to rubber suits and cgi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also point out that there was a much better emphasis on character in this episode..especially the Doctor.

Loved the sly little bit where he tells spooky stories to the watchman about things going missing, blokes coffee disappears and then 30 seconds later the Doctor is nonchalantly drinking it..laugh out loud moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    In investigating a commonly held fear the Doctor inadvertently instills that same fear in his younger self who is already a timid and fearful child. Luckily he also imparts some stirring words of wisdom through his proxy Clara, which will serve him well in future.

Nothing terribly ambiguous in that..epic maybe, ambiguous no.

No there isn't. The ambgiuouty is with the monster. Whether or not there was a monster on the bed it sure as hell was something. So the only logical conclusion is that it was a kid playing a joke.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'll have to think about that one.....;-)

Don't think about it too much! It'll give you nightmares... That weird perm he's got going on...imagine reaching under the covers and feeling it in the dark!

:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I heard one of my siblings/friends being scared of what was under the bed or something along the lines of the Clara/Rupert discussion then I would 10000% freak them out by hiding under a cover on their bed.

Why is that so difficult to believe?

They all think there's something there because they expect there to be, same with the audience.

It's not. And that's not my problem. My problem is he was playing the ambiguous card when it made no sense to.
  • wildangelwildangel Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Lovely bit of spooky/creepy/atmospheric.

Now watch the borderline Aspergers side of our community kill it with 1000 cuts just because it didn't give all the answers (tip: ambiguous is good - actually, it's #*^€}$ :D)

This one's a keeper.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to watching this episode after reading mainly good things about it.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    I'd also point out that there was a much better emphasis on character in this episode..especially the Doctor.

Loved the sly little bit where he tells spooky stories to the watchman about things going missing, blokes coffee disappears and then 30 seconds later the Doctor is nonchalantly drinking it..laugh out loud moment.

I did too.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think about it too much! It'll give you nightmares... That weird perm he's got going on...imagine reaching under the covers and feeling it in the dark!

:o

Feeling what? Oh, the perm....sorry.;-)

At least in the dark I wouldn't see the smirk. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No there isn't. The ambgiuouty is with the monster. Whether or not there was a monster on the bed it sure as hell was something. So the only logical conclusion is that it was a kid playing a joke.

Why couldn't it have been a monster ?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to watching this episode after reading mainly good things about it.

You shouldn't be reading anything about it! Be gone! Do as you are told!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you see it's face in the window reflection? That certainly was not a kid playing a joke!!! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering whether the Beeb would get complaints about this one being too scary.

In retrospect the complaints will probably be from people complaining that there isn't a Clara under their bed.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Poll awaiting hopefully faster than official thread?

Might be an idea to alert the Mods and have them merge this thread with the official episode one so the Poll gets added to that.

Otherwise we may end up with two ongoing Polls which will just cause confusion.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not happy. My freeview box could not be bothered to record tonights episode so have to wait for tomorrow nights bbc3 repeat.

Apparently their are copies out there on the Internet :p

On a serious note, thats a bit of a bummer, hope you get to see a repeat in HD eventually ...
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Steven Moffat under my bed is the scariest thing I can think of! :D
    Finding Granny McSmith under my bed is the scariest thing I can think of! :D

Sorry Granny...
    :)

[waits for slap]
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Sorry Granny...
    :)

[waits for slap]

He'd be right to be scared. :D
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that is without doubt one of my favourite episodes of all time. The series' plot is really starting to unfold now, it covered some really interesting themes, and Capaldi just becomes more and more amazing with every week, he's completely owning the role for me.

Of course, people will probably think I'm just "easily pleased" but I have nothing to criticise about this week's episode. This is shaping up to be my favourite series, and Doctor, of Nu Who for me.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the only logical conclusion is that it was a kid playing a joke.

Why is that the only logical conclusion? It sure as hell isn't the conclusion I jumped to.
    As I said, it's ambiguous. There's a case to be made that it was a real monster.