When will we get this TiVo update?

Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,326
Forum Member
There are a more changes coming this year, including:
· HD version of the Season Pass Manager
· HD version of the To Do List
· HD version of My Shows for Multi-Room Streaming
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=487165

As Virgin Media's TiVo has had the HD TV Guide and HD Mini Guide since launch , the TiVo Premiere only got them in January this year , Surely there a good chance we will get these HD menus this year ?

Maybe Virgin Media have pushed them to update more of the menus ?

Is it likely to be included in the same code update as reminders ? which is coming in the " summer " ?
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/New-update/td-p/1198261/page/2

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats in America not here.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Yes, but it's all basically the same code-base so there's no reason to think that we won't get these updates at some point this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Yes, but it's all basically the same code-base so there's no reason to think that we won't get these updates at some point this year.

So is Netflix, where's that? Also its took them over a year to change the colour of the iPad app background to red, so don't expect anything vs. whatever the yanks are getting.
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Arkudos wrote: »
    So is Netflix, where's that?
    We haven't got Netflix because Virgin don't yet have an agreement with Netflix. If/when they do then the app can be put onto the boxes without a firmware update

In regards to the screens mentioned above, the only one that is currently on TiVo that would get an update is the 'Season Pass Manager' aka 'Manage My Series Links'. Virgin Media TiVo doesn't have a To Do List nor currently Muti-Room Streaming
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    Virgin Media TiVo doesn't have a To Do List
    It thought " To Do List " is " My Planned Recordings " ?
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »
    It thought " To Do List " is " My Planned Recordings " ?
    Is it? my bad if it is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arkudos wrote: »
    Also its took them over a year to change the colour of the iPad app background to red, so don't expect anything vs. whatever the yanks are getting.
    You think that's all they did, that was the only thing they had to fix and they had no other problems/issues along the way? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    You think that's all they did, that was the only thing they had to fix and they had no other problems/issues along the way? :rolleyes:

Considering a number of people have the US version of the app working fine with it, yes.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    We haven't got Netflix because Virgin don't yet have an agreement with Netflix. If/when they do then the app can be put onto the boxes without a firmware update

In regards to the screens mentioned above, the only one that is currently on TiVo that would get an update is the 'Season Pass Manager' aka 'Manage My Series Links'. Virgin Media TiVo doesn't have a To Do List nor currently Muti-Room Streaming

we do have it but its disabled. I suspect it will arrive later in the future.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the other hand, the US models still have the old 2-column guide available. VM disabled that for us for no apparent reason, so there's no guarantee we will get everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    On the other hand, the US models still have the old 2-column guide available. VM disabled that for us for no apparent reason, so there's no guarantee we will get everything.

thats because we have an EPG style that the US lot don't get.

their guide is literally the OSD version thats a mid sized grid, akin to the old interface. However we have the full screen HD guide. I am sure they'd love to have that.

Then again the view TV differently over there. It's more 'search for it' to see when its on, they also use the mini guide more.

Agreed though the mid sized guide would be nice with either grid or column list.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    their guide is literally the OSD version thats a mid sized grid, akin to the old interface. However we have the full screen HD guide. I am sure they'd love to have that.
    As I understand it, they have two guides, called the Live Guide and the Grid Guide. The Live Guide was our old 2-column format. The Grid Guide was a multi-column format which I had thought was like our Guide, although apparently it wasn't HD until January. Now "HD guide is available in both traditional "Grid Guide" format as well as TiVo "Live Guide" which lets you see what is on the current channel for much of the day in one screen." (This is in addition to the new Mini-Guide they also got then.)

It definitely sounds to me as though they have a choice of Guide formats. A choice we never got. They also have the choice to switch back to SD menus, which we don't have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I understand it, they have two guides, called the Live Guide and the Grid Guide. The Live Guide was our old 2-column format. The Grid Guide was a multi-column format which I had thought was like our Guide, although apparently it wasn't HD until January. Now "HD guide is available in both traditional "Grid Guide" format as well as TiVo "Live Guide" which lets you see what is on the current channel for much of the day in one screen." (This is in addition to the new Mini-Guide they also got then.)

It definitely sounds to me as though they have a choice of Guide formats. A choice we never got. They also have the choice to switch back to SD menus, which we don't have.

yep.

we had the HD guide first though before them.

This is a mess of sorts, why couldn't they make it exactly like the Us version but have the VM stuff bolted on top?

Series link is an old sky term, Seasonpass sounds more streamlined. and I agree they need to alter stuff for our uk market.

i like it as it is, and I also like the US version. Wouldn't it have been easier to keep it the same?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The reason (probably) being so that they didn't have to support two different OSDs; which makes life a whole lot easier for them.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it? my bad if it is

Yes, and it even has the same shortcut - Tivo-2 - Easy to remember as its "2 do list" :D
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series link is an old sky term, Seasonpass sounds more streamlined. and I agree they need to alter stuff for our uk market.

i like it as it is, and I also like the US version. Wouldn't it have been easier to keep it the same?
    We don't have TV seasons though, we have TV series. There's a difference. Most TV shows in the UK don't run from the Autumn through to Spring, they run for usually 6 episodes, one each week over one particular month. Therefore it makes more sense to call it Series Link, which is what everyone is used to, than "Season Pass".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    We don't have TV seasons though, we have TV series. There's a difference. Most TV shows in the UK don't run from the Autumn through to Spring, they run for usually 6 episodes, one each week over one particular month. Therefore it makes more sense to call it Series Link, which is what everyone is used to, than "Season Pass".[/QUOTE]

I guess the software people just don't get out much, or talk to non nerds in the bar.

Series Link is what most Brits will understand.

The same concept should apply right through-out the Tivo menus - so much is non-intuitive to Brits brought up on V+HD and Sky boxes. Up/Down vs Left/Right maybe an issue we can live with, but Tivo giving us so many key entries to find a BBC iPlayer show compared to the V+ box? Not impressed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We don't have TV seasons though, we have TV series. There's a difference. Most TV shows in the UK don't run from the Autumn through to Spring, they run for usually 6 episodes, one each week over one particular month. Therefore it makes more sense to call it Series Link, which is what everyone is used to, than "Season Pass".

yeah ok, you win on that one.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    thats because we have an EPG style that the US lot don't get.

Nope.. we have 3 guides, all in HD.

The standard Live Guide:
    http://i.imgur.com/pyry7.png

The Grid Guide:
    http://i.imgur.com/iILQQ.png

And the Mini Guide:
    http://i.imgur.com/K0f9L.jpg

You activate the live and grid guides by hitting the Guide button on the remote at any time... and hit A to enter the options to change between Live/Grid.

You activate the Mini guide by hitting Select while watching TV.

We also have the old-style SD guides if you disable the HD menus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have the "grid" and mini guide... the live guide looks weird and confusing. The "grid" guide as you call it has been the standard guide on most if not all set top boxes since digital TV began in the UK I think
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    the live guide looks weird and confusing.

I prefer it... but you really have to use it to get a grasp on it.

In the example screenshot.. the left column is the same as the first column in the grid. He has selected Channel 5 on the left column, and the right column is showing what's coming up in the next few hours on Channel 5.

It's basically how the first UK TiVo worked back in 2000.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares about HD menus, in fact who cares about HD or 3D tv, both are well over rated. I watch both on a 62" LG 3D screen and am still happy watching all channels in standard defenition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares about HD menus, in fact who cares about HD or 3D tv, both are well over rated. I watch both on a 62" LG 3D screen and am still happy watching all channels in standard defenition.
    I know some people can't tell the difference, but I can tell it immensely. Even if it isn't outstanding, at least there's a clear picture with no digital artefacts.

I am skeptical about 3DTV however I haven't experienced it yet.
  • Options
    PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I care, but can obviously live with it.

For all the stuff that Tivo can do, I couldn't believe some menus were still in SD when it launched.

Is there some technical reason that all the menus couldn't fairly simply have been redone in HD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Nope.. we have 3 guides, all in HD.

The standard Live Guide:
    http://i.imgur.com/pyry7.png

The Grid Guide:
    http://i.imgur.com/iILQQ.png

And the Mini Guide:
    http://i.imgur.com/K0f9L.jpg

You activate the live and grid guides by hitting the Guide button on the remote at any time... and hit A to enter the options to change between Live/Grid.

You activate the Mini guide by hitting Select while watching TV.

We also have the old-style SD guides if you disable the HD menus.

Ahh brilliant, thankyou for the screenshots!

can we virgin users have the live guide also? would be nice.

A = yellow to us, it is not enabled in our guide. Perhaps the live guide IS there but just not enabled?

Blue changes category and since the latest software release, green enables you to change some options. red does nothing, as does yellow does nothing.

Also from those shots, the US grid/ Live has an extra synopsis line showing the actors.

it damn annoys me when they strip stuff out! Looks like our Tivo is turning into crippleware!