Tenuous claims to fame

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
Forum Member
Sitting here bored this afternoon, I was wondering what your tenuous claims to fame are.

I only have two, many years ago I used to have a Saturday job and my boss was the actor who played Julian in the Famous Five TV series in the the late 70's.

About fifteen years ago I worked at a doctor's surgery and Shirley's family of Pepsi and Shirley fame/Wham's backing singers, were registered there.

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my dad was a child, in the late 1950s, Keith Miller, who was then a very famous Australian cricketer, came to visit a woman who lived just down the street from my dad. When Miller had served in World War Two, this woman had been his driver. My dad turned out with other kids to watch him getting in or out of a very large car. He says he vividly recalls how mindblowing it was seeing this big sporting star just literally across the street. He says it would be like it would be for a kid today, if he saw David Beckham pay a visit down his street.

My father, incidentally, also lives just down the road from Julie Andrews' step-brother, who is a retired airline pilot, and with whom my dad often chats.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Pat Jennings, (1970's Northern Ireland goalkeeper) taught me how to play badminton.

I once sold a rug to Debbie Harry.

I once fell asleep of David Wilkie's lap (was a small boy at the time).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once fell asleep of David Wilkie's lap (was a small boy at the time).
    He came to our school swimming once in the seventies. I got his autograph even though I had no idea who he was.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew British wrestler Jackie Pallo and his son for a while, I used to make money cleaning his saabs and went to his wrestling school when I was a teenager :o
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    He came to our school swimming once in the seventies. I got his autograph even though I had no idea who he was.

He was very nice. We were on a flight to Singapore in economy and he was in first class. I couldn't sleep in my chair and he said I could share his big seat. I suppose you wouldn't let your six year old go off with a stranger now but it was the 70s.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    My mum's best friend at schools aunt was married to Rex Harrison. Dosn't get more tenuous than that :D
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bloke from 2Unlimited bought my step-father's boat.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum's best friend at schools aunt was married to Rex Harrison. Dosn't get more tenuous than that :D

Challenge accepted. It does.

And apologies to those who have seen this umpteen times in this thread whenever it reappears...

My second cousin (not even my first cousin) was the hands in the 1960's Fairy Liquid ads. Just the hands.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my ancestors was a rather notorious pirate. Does that count?

It's certainly much more interesting than any of the celebrities I have met. Premiership footballers and cricketers aren't exactly known for their sharp wit and intellectual conversation.

Having said that, Robin van Persie is a really lovely bloke.

Oh I did once see my favourite writer in our local Pret - unfortunately I was so stunned I ended up staring at him before realising how rude that was and making a quick exit.
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sitting here bored this afternoon, I was wondering what your tenuous claims to fame are.

I only have two, many years ago I used to have a Saturday job and my boss was the actor who played Julian in the Famous Five TV series in the the late 70's.

About fifteen years ago I worked at a doctor's surgery and Shirley's family of Pepsi and Shirley fame/Wham's backing singers, were registered there.

Shirley is married to Martin Kemp!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my ancestors was a rather notorious pirate. Does that count?

Well, which pirate was he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Nest wrote: »
    Shirley is married to Martin Kemp!

yes she is, forgot about that :D

Thought of another one, a colleague at the same surgery saw George Michael and Andrew Ridgely siiting on the edge of the pool at the local swimming baths just after they had appeared on Top Of The Pops for the first time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, which pirate was he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Bart

"uncultivated sailor" my arse - he was a pirate.

EDIT: Forget the dull Wiki link - this one is much better!
    http://www.theotherside.co.uk/tm-heritage/background/jean-bart.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashley from Corrie used to drink in my Mum's pub and got kicked out for doing coke in the toilets :eek:
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Private Eye Prize Crossword #9 winner here. That £100 prize came in pretty handy as I was off to the Edinburgh Fringe that weekend.

I also briefly shared a smoke break with the late Sir Jimmy Saville outside the BBC White City offices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the same college at the same time as Kit Harington who plays Jon Snow on Game Of Thrones.

Never met him, never saw him, but the claims there lol.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my ancestors founded the Royal Academy.

And my mums cousin married the brother of Frankie Abbott from The Fenn Street Gang.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once sat across a table from Eric Bristow while he was signing autographs at a meet 'n greet in the pub where my mum used to work. I was about 12 :)

I also once appeared in a german television advert with a hulk hogan lookalike. Can't remember how old I was.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband's cousin's husband works for a company whose owner has shaken hands with all US presidents in last 30 years.
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My childhood best friend's half-sister is Alesha Dixon (same dads).

I worked in a golf clubhouse and ended up watching part of the Michael Jackson child molestation trial in the bar with David Seaman, discussing opinions.

And the most tenuous... My grandfather was a well-known professional darts player who had Bobby George et al over for food/drinks all the time. lol!

ETA: My other half, however, has met everyone and is on first-name terms with some of Hollywood's biggest and brightest. This comes from high-profile hotel management and working for Gordon Ramsay Holdings. Lucky sod.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once sat at a bar that Jeremy Beadle was at.

I did dance and drama classes with Suzi Perry.

I once met Josie Lawrence (from Whose LIne Is It Anyway?)

My grandmother used to babysit Larry Grayson when she was a teenager.

Um...that's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Challenge accepted. It does.

And apologies to those who have seen this umpteen times in this thread whenever it reappears...

My second cousin (not even my first cousin) was the hands in the 1960's Fairy Liquid ads. Just the hands.

Okay you win. You win...hands down. (This is the bit where I get shot, right?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sat at the next table to Ronnie Corbett in a restaurant at Haddington.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^This is where I wish I could post my mum's treasured picture of her and David Nixon at a charity event in the 1970s.

(David Nixon was about two tables down.)
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Wow, there's no chance you could post a picture, is there? I always wondered what she looked like.

*cue dozens of random hand pictures*
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stripped the wallpaper in Barry Cryers' toilet.