Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 50)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Doctor Who's lowest ever rating was Battlefield part 1, which had 3.1 million viewers on 6th September 1989. It was a Wednesday (yuk), had little or no publicity, and was scheduled directly opposite Coronation Street for purposes of killing it.

Despite this I would maintain there is some really good work in season 26 of Who and that there could have been an upturn in the shows fortune, if anyone at the BBC had cared.

(I realize this isn't actually what the post I'm quoting is about, never the less, it's 2.13am, I'm bored, and this thread does not have enough Doctor Who in it. :D)

I'll bump this up as I think some of the Mc Coy stories were decent, particularly the Daleks one with Bronson in, but in 1989, when almost everyone was limited to four channels, 3.1 million on one of the big two was pathetic. Also being opposite a rampant Coronation St, which was then attracting 18 million viewers, would have killed any show, which I think was the BBC's intention with DW. Sadly, though, when the subject of DW came up in conversation then, it was often on the lines of I stopped watching it years ago, and fans were regarded as geeks and obsessives by 1989.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Reports recently are suggesting New Tricks will actually be starting on 1st September and be shown on Sundays this Autumn over 10 weeks.
    Series 10 will premiere on 1 September 2013 on BBC opening with the first part of a two part story entitled “The Rock”, the second episode is currently scheduled for broadcast on 8th September 2013.
    Perfect scheduling, this could do some good damage to Downton abbey's ratings and imagine the negative press DA will get as a result: "Downton losing its shine", "Downton down 1-2million in a year", "Viewers turn off Downton after death of Matthew Crawley", "DA no longer Britain's favourite drama", "Is it time to axe Downton? Viewers switch off in their droves", "New cast members not as good as old ones as x million switch off". Really good decision by the bbc to stick New tricks on Sundays as a spoiler because even though it'll get beaten by DA, no one in the press really takes much notice of it anyway but we all know here what a great ratings weapon NT is and the couple million viewers it could take off DA. Looks like BBC arent going to be giving it an easy run this year.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Reports in the last couple days are suggesting New Tricks will actually be starting on 1st September and be shown on Sundays this Autumn over 10 weeks. Perfect scheduling, this could do some good damage to Downton abbey's ratings and imagine the negative press DA will get as a result: "Downton losing its shine", "Downton down 1-2million in a year", "Viewers turn off Downton after death of Matthew Crawley", "DA no longer Britain's favourite drama", "Is it time to axe Downton? Viewers switch off in their droves", "New cast members not as good as old ones as x million switch off". Really good decision by the bbc to stick New tricks on Sundays as a spoiler because even though it'll get beaten by DA, no one in the press really takes much notice of it anyway but we all know here what a great ratings weapon NT is and the couple million viewers it could take off DA. Looks like BBC arent going to be giving it an easy run this year.
    Amazing, pre-written negative spin forecasted months ahead. That's impressive even by your standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    Amazing, pre-written negative spin forecasted months ahead. That's impressive even by your standards.
    This isn't my spin. It's what the newspapers and media will be saying in the Autumn. Get ready for the Downton Abbey backlash this year. Newspapers love to big shows up, and that's what they've done with DA over the last 3 years, but then they love even more to take them down - and perhaps this will be the year for DA to get the bad press. The BBC showing New tricks against it will aid this process, because instead of downton getting 9-10million against weak <4m rated shows it will maybe be chopped off to about 7/8m against new tricks and the papers will notice.
  • Options
    mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't care less about the voice the sooner it's gone the better find it really dull this thread has turned into the voice today it seems :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »

It's a new low surely :(
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't care less about the voice the sooner it's gone the better find it really dull this thread has turned into the voice today it seems :(

I've just realized you are constantly depressed. Enjoy the sun!
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports in the last couple days are suggesting New Tricks will actually be starting on 1st September and be shown on Sundays this Autumn over 10 weeks.
    Perfect scheduling, this could do some good damage to Downton abbey's ratings and imagine the negative press DA will get as a result: "Downton losing its shine", "Downton down 1-2million in a year", "Viewers turn off Downton after death of Matthew Crawley", "DA no longer Britain's favourite drama", "Is it time to axe Downton? Viewers switch off in their droves", "New cast members not as good as old ones as x million switch off". Really good decision by the bbc to stick New tricks on Sundays as a spoiler because even though it'll get beaten by DA, no one in the press really takes much notice of it anyway but we all know here what a great ratings weapon NT is and the couple million viewers it could take off DA. Looks like BBC arent going to be giving it an easy run this year.

What reports I read the papers and have seen no such reports, hopefully it will be on Mondays like always, putting it against Downton would be unbelievably moronic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful ratings across the board last night at 9 it seems good rating for Paul o Grady again though which is good:) ratings will fall further this weekend even more I reckon with this hot spell on the way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    What reports I read the papers and have seen no such reports, hopefully it will be on Mondays like always, putting it against Downton would be unbelievably moronic.
    Its been posted on the New tricks thread. I dont think it's moronic of the bbc. It's obvious New tricks is probably coming close to the end of its shelf life [maybe 3 years left in it], why not use it right now when they've got the chance to take down a big Itv rival threat by a peg or two. Sure, new tricks will maybe as a result get 6million instead of 7 or 8m but think about the long term implications: it probably is worth doing for the bbc because the following Autumn, the bbc could then launch new dramas on Sundays knowing there is a better chance of succeeding against a declining DA than what is currently the case. The bbc shouldn't keep giving Downton an easy ride every year, it's ridiculous and they have to be bold sooner or later.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The This Morning discussion from a couple of days ago, where Apprentice troll/trollop (or both, you decide) Katie Hopkins claimed you could judge whether to associate with a child by their name, has received more than 3 million youtube hits, and counting.
    Holly Willoughby basically told her to shut up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZjdgU0asM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Del Potro has won the 2nd set, so now it is 1-1 between himself and Djokovic. It means Murray's semi final match wont start until 4.30pm at the very least. Which means assuming a 3-set Murray match is 2hours, Wimbledon will definitely be overunning into the BBC News slot = higher ratings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one looking for Scandal's ratings please :)

Channel 4 really should have given this cracker a shot on the main channel
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its been posted on the New tricks thread. I dont think it's moronic of the bbc. It's obvious New tricks is probably coming close to the end of its shelf life [maybe 3 years left in it], why not use it right now when they've got the chance to take down a big Itv rival threat by a peg or two. Sure, new tricks will maybe as a result get 6million instead of 7 or 8m but think about the long term implications: it probably is worth doing for the bbc because the following Autumn, the bbc could then launch new dramas on Sundays knowing there is a better chance of succeeding against a declining DA than what is currently the case. The bbc shouldn't keep giving Downton an easy ride every year, it's ridiculous and they have to be bold sooner or later.

Yet you were annoyed when ITV had BGT against The Voice!! Hypocrite!!

Anyway viewers are less likely to watch a declining New Tricks than the superior programme on ITV, and any case DA will timeshift like mad, meaning viewers don't start to dislike DA just becuae NT is on at the same time. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yet you were annoyed when ITV had BGT against The Voice!
    I was initially annoyed that BGT and The Voice were clashing. But the bbc saw sense and moved the Voice after two weeks to another timeslot where its ratings increased. If itv aren't happy with bbc showing New tricks against Downton abbey, they have the opportunity to move Downton abbey to another night. It doesnt have to be shown on Sunday at 9pm.
    Anyway viewers are less likely to watch a declining New Tricks than the superior programme on ITV, and any case DA will timeshift like mad, meaning viewers don't start to dislike DA just becuae NT is on at the same time. :rolleyes:
    Im sure it'll timeshift more than past years. But the newspapers wont take much notice. They're an impatient bunch, the guys on Fleet street, and they'll look at the overnight ratings and make the stories based on those as they do with every tv show. New tricks has a loyal audience so even though it is past its best, I wouldn't underestimate its power to get good ratings even against tough competition. New tricks is the underdog here, most people dont even realise how popular it is apart from people who follow ratings. It's a silent ratings powerhouse, getting huge ratings without much press interest. All expectations will lie with Downton abbey and the pressure will be on for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Looks like Murray will be late on court today - Djokovic-Del Potro 1 set all now. Looking at around a 5pm start for Murray, if not later. Will undoubtably run into the evening news schedules. Beautiful day here in South West London. :cool:
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC are unlikely to put New Tricks against Downton Abbey, as DA is too popular to and will damage one of the BBC's flagship dramas. Antway is they did do this and it did affect DA then i bet ITV would play them at their own game and put BGT diectly against TVUK next year, crushing it in the process.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pieboyjr wrote: »
    Looks like Murray will be late on court today - Djokovic-Del Potro 1 set all now. Looking at around a 5pm start for Murray, if not later. Will undoubtably run into the evening news schedules. Beautiful day here in South West London. :cool:

If he starts at like 5:30pm, how long do you think it will go on for? Are we looking for it to clash with EastEnders and they need to move it to BBC2?
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    Top 10 Overnights of 2013
    1 – 10.56m (48.9%) / 11.12m (51.4%) – BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT FINAL (08/06) – ITV
    2 – 10.12m (39.3%) / 10.43m (40.6%) – CORONATION STREET (25/03) – ITV
    3 – 9.87m (40.6%) – COMIC RELIEF: FUNNY FOR MONEY (15/03) – BBC1
    4 – 9.15m (31.3%) – CALL THE MIDWIFE (03/03) – BBC1
    5 – 9.09m (32.6%) – EASTENDERS (01/01) – BBC1

6 – 9.07m (35.3%) – UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LIVE (05/03) - ITV
    7 – 9.04m (32.5%) – MIRANDA (01/01) - BBC1
    8 – 8.73m (33.5%) (inc +1) – BROADCHURCH (22/04) – ITV
    9 – 8.10m (29.8%) – MRS BROWN'S BOYS (01/01) – BBC1
    10 – 7.99m (35.3%) – THE VOICE (04/05) – BBC1

Top 5 Peaks of 2013
    1 – 12.23m (53.3%) / 13.09m (56.6%) – BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT FINAL (08/06) - ITV
    2 – 12.16m (47.2%) – COMIC RELIEF: FUNNY FOR MONEY (15/03) – BBC1
    3 – 10.7m (39.8%) – UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LIVE (05/03) – ITV
    4 – 10.41m (48.4%) – WIMBLEDON 2013 (03/07) – BBC1
    5 – 9.4m (42%) – FA CUP FINAL (11/05) - ITV

Thank god there's an archive on this thread - it's taken me almost an hour to conjure up these stats (and I think the peaks may not be exactly correct) but at least I tried. :D
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which means people actually do care about it. ;) plus its far from dull in my opinion I love.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC are unlikely to put New Tricks against Downton Abbey, as DA is too popular to and will damage one of the BBC's flagship dramas.

Downton would massacre New Tricks. NT isnt appointment to view, unless you are in an old folks home
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Downton would massacre New Tricks. NT isnt appointment to view, unless you are in an old folks home

Your saying New tricks only appeals to the old? Well DA is hardly down with the kids is it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »

I'd say NT and DA have a similar demographic.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Top 10 Overnights of 2013
    1 – 10.56m (48.9%) / 11.12m (51.4%) – BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (08/06) – ITV
    2 – 10.12m (39.3%) / 10.43m (40.6%) – CORONATION STREET (25/03) – ITV
    3 – 9.87m (40.6%) – COMIC RELIEF: FUNNY FOR MONEY (15/03) – BBC1
    4 – 9.15m (31.3%) – CALL THE MIDWIFE (03/03) – BBC1
    5 – 9.09m (32.6%) – EASTENDERS (01/01) – BBC1

6 – 9.07m (35.3%) – UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LIVE (05/03) - ITV
    7 – 9.04m (32.5%) – MIRANDA (01/01) - BBC1
    8 – 8.73m (33.5%) (inc +1) – BROADCHURCH (22/04) – ITV
    9 – 8.10m (29.8%) – MRS BROWN'S BOYS (01/01) – BBC1
    10 – 7.99m (35.3%) – THE VOICE (04/05) – BBC1

Top 5 Peaks of 2013
    1 – 12.23m (53.3%) / 13.09m (56.6%) – BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (08/06) - ITV
    2 – 12.16m (47.2%) – COMIC RELIEF: FUNNY FOR MONEY (15/03) – BBC1
    3 – 10.7m (39.8%) – UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LIVE (05/03) – ITV
    4 – 10.41m (48.4%) – WIMBLEDON 2013 (03/07) – BBC1
    5 – 9.4m (42%) – FA CUP FINAL (11/05) - ITV

Thank god there's an archive on this thread - it's taken me almost an hour to conjure up these stats (and I think the peaks may not be exactly correct) but at least I tried. :D

Yes you did - and done very well. Thank you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    If he starts at like 5:30pm, how long do you think it will go on for? Are we looking for it to clash with EastEnders and they need to move it to BBC2?

You'll be looking at at least a couple of hours for a straight sets win. My gut feeling is that it won't be as easy as that.
This discussion has been closed.