Dreamliner

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
There's a documentary running on Aljazeera TV all about
Dreamliner...... and Boeing and how they source parts from all over the world ... unlike the old days when the planes were largely built in house.

Secret filming in factories talks of cutting corners in order to meet tight schedules........

Quite a few of the workers said they would never risk travelling in a Dreamliner.

The aluminum body on Dreamliner is replaced by plastic composite material to reduce weight
.... the volatile batteries are now housed in metal boxes so even if they do catch fire or begin to breakdown there will be no air to combust.

If Dreamliner has to be scrapped, the losses will be astronomic.
Could the whole Boeing organization collapse like Enron ?
Are they flying on a wing and a prayer ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    There's a documentary running on Aljazeera TV all bout
    Dreamliner...... and Boeing and how they source parts from all over the world ... unlike the old days when the planes were largely built in house.

Secret filming in factories talks of cutting corners in order to meet tight schedules........

Quite a few of the workers said they would never risk travelling in a Dreamliner.

The aluminum body on Dreamliner is replaced by plastic composite material to reduce weight
    .... the volatile batteries are now housed in metal boxes so even if they do catch fire or begin to breakdown there will be no air to combust.

It looks like there could be turbulent times ahead for Boeing.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a bed.
    I'm going to check mine.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    Unlikely to be any repercussions for Boeing. If the aircraft and its manufacture process is FAA approved then they have very little to worry about and neither to passengers. This isn't the first time Al Jazeera has targeted Boeing, they did a similar programme about the Boeing 737NG which has to be one of the most successful and safest aircraft in aviation, there are literally thousands of them in service across the world and it's a very mature, tried and tested frame with an excellent dispatch rate. Everything in that documentary was proven to be false and the same will probably happen to this one.

Unfortunately mistakes were made with the Boeing 787, it had become a massive success for Boeing before it had even left the drawing board and had gained nearly 1000 orders before the first one was even built. The huge order book put a lot of pressure on Boeing to meet the targets they had promised, it was a huge leap in technology and the assembly process was very different to what Boeing had previously done, subcontracting the construction of parts around the world was and continues to prove challenging to Boeing.

In the end the entry into service was nearly three years later than it should have been but once in service it beat expectations, unfortunately the battery issues were another huge setback but more to do with the advanced technologies used than poor construction. The fix was cleared by the relevant safety authorities and it appears that the 787 Dreamliner is running smoothly with airlines across the world, British Airways, United Airlines and ironically Qatar Airways (where Al Jazeera is based) are all delighted with its performance.

Passenger wise I'd have no problem flying on one again, I've already flown it a dozen times and it's a fine aircraft, maybe not quite as special for the passengers as originally made out to be but still a safe and reliable service.

We'll have to wait and see if these allegations by Al Jazeera mean anything or if it's just an attempt to get ratings and shame a big American brand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a documentary running on Aljazeera TV all about

You post some shite. Where is the link to this secret filming.

Dreamliners are flying with full certification:confused:
  • KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

It's started with this from Al Jazeera.

http://www.aljazeera.com/investigations/boeing787/2014/09/investigation-safety-concerns-dog-boeing-787-dreamliner-20149391617796902.html

Secret filming allegedly exposes drug use, workers saying they wouldn't fly a Dreamliner and Boeing cutting corners.

Boeing refutes the claims.

http://www.businessinsider.com/al-jazeera-boeing-dreamliner-project-flawed-2014-9
  • KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I flew on a Dreamliner a couple of weeks after it started flying and was mainly just doing Japanese domestic flights. Lovely plane. Shame about all of the troubles it developed later.

I don't buy that any plane manufacturer or airline would knowingly let an unsafe plane fly though. A major disaster due to an unsafe plane could cause more damage to a company/airline than delaying manufacturing would.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we know a song about that, don't we children?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i9wlFz2Mm8
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Woodbush its the action of a moron to post filthy language and insults on a forum

Dont post in any of my threads ever again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link?

The programme is on Aljazeera TV tonight at 9.00
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dreamliners are flying with full certification :confused:
    Some were grounded in the first year of service and seems to have quite a number of problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner_battery_problems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25737515

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/25/282431939/boeings-787-dreamliner-can-t-shake-major-malfunction-issues

http://gizmodo.com/boeings-787-dreamliner-is-having-wing-cracking-problem-1538980909
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Woodbush its the action of a moron to post filthy language and insults on a forum

I'm not sure you quite understand how forums work. :confused:
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I'm not sure you quite understand how forums work. :confused:
    PMSL :D:D:D:D
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

mvLQtEG.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll post where I like, thank you.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not for the first time you seem to have rather rudely jumped the gun woodbush!

As has already been explained, it was an Al-Jazeera documentary. Regardless of the truthfulness of the documentary the OP is just posting what they've seen, it's not their fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

As has already been explained, it was an Al-Jazeera documentary. Regardless of the truthfulness of the documentary the OP is just posting what they've seen, it's not their fault.

Not for the first time:confused:

Jumped the gun. The OP made accusations but didn't post a link:confused:

Yes a link was posted later but not by the OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So calling me a moron is different to me posting shite:confused:
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

It's normal to add a link to back up what's being said in an opening post otherwise it could be seen as shite.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's normal to add a link to back up what's being said in an opening post otherwise it could be seen as shite.

Even when it's a clear reference to a specific programme? Anyone who wanted to know more could Google "Al Jazeera" and "Boeing" in the time it takes to complain about the lack of a link.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Even when it's a clear reference to a specific programme? Anyone who wanted to know more could Google "Al Jazeera" and "Boeing" in the time it takes to complain about the lack of a link.

Yes even when it does.

I'm pretty sure you'd be jarred off doing a google only to find it didn't exist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

They're halfway there.
  • xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all planes will have some problems when they are released, i wouldnt mind traveling in either the dreamliner or the a380
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmodz10 wrote: »
    all planes will have some problems when they are released, i wouldnt mind traveling in either the dreamliner or the a380

Yeah, me too....just to whet your appetite...I took these photos recently :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peugeot407/15052101589/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peugeot407/14835740790/

A friend of mine is coming back from Dubai on the A380 tomorrow.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=xxtimbo

Are they flying on a wing and a prayer ?[/QUOTE]

Google - Coming in on a wing and a prayer
    (Ann Shelton you tube)
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can one person consistently fail to use the quote function? It's one click.