Options

A Lesson Learned

David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,418
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please don't berate me if I am the last person in the world to have realised this, but I have just learned that power line adapters are supposed to be plugged into a proper wall socket, not an extension lead. The adapter that feeds my YouView box was, until today, in an extension socket.

Performance, even thus, was generally okay. Feature films on TalkTalk Box Office played without interruption, even in HD, but none of my Sky channels could get through an hour of programming without crashing once and the BBC iPlayer seemed to spend as much time buffering as playing.

Having read the recommendation, however, I switched the adapter to a wall socket and have now watched Top Gear on the iPlayer, followed by more than an hour of The Vicar of Dibley on Gold and it didn't crash or buffer once. There was the very occasional slight tear in the picture, but I really do mean slight and VERY occasional.

My previous thinking had been that the software had not been fully sorted yet, but obviously it is better than I had thought. It isn't fully developed yet because I still can't pause, rewind or record Internet channels, but this is promised.

So, if anyone else did not know this already, like me, please take note and transfer your powerline adapter to a full mains socket.