Options

External wifi antenna help

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been given one of these

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121625140102

What would happen if I stuck it on a pole and connected to a netgear router ?

Comments

• Options
    jthspacejthspace Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    It looks like it is a receiving antenna from the description, but may be wrong

"2.4GHz 20dbi Yagi WLAN WiFi Wireless Antenna For USB Modem PCI"

Jeff
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Yagi is the sort of thing used for point to point connections but not a lot of cop if you’re using it for connecting to computer located around your back garden where an omnidirectional aerial would be more suitable.

I put one of these up in my garden last week for those long hot days of summer and it seems to be working a treat.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-4581_CPE210.html
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    A Yagi is the sort of thing used for point to point connections but not a lot of cop if you’re using it for connecting to computer located around your back garden where an omnidirectional aerial would be more suitable.

I put one of these up in my garden last week for those long hot days of summer and it seems to be working a treat.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-4581_CPE210.html

How well does that work / far does it transmit to still be able to pick up the network on say a mobile phone? I was looking at an easy way to transmit my wifi a few streets over from my house, and still be able to use it on my phone + laptop without needing a higher gain ezternal antenna
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How well does that work / far does it transmit to still be able to pick up the network on say a mobile phone? I was looking at an easy way to transmit my wifi a few streets over from my house, and still be able to use it on my phone + laptop without needing a higher gain ezternal antenna

I intend to make a link to my daughter house at 82 Metres as the Crow flies and I have another one for her end being delivered today, will take me a week to get it set up though.

The unit I’ve set up covers my garden in every direction but can be pointed in a given direction where I’m able to receive the network at 100 Metres at legal EU power output however with this sort of setup the data can be very slow but I think with another connected at the other end with the two linked and in Bridge and AP mode it should give my daughter a useful internet link.

For this to work you need to be able to see the unit with or without binoculars so if there’s houses blocking your view it will not work.

The units are made for a worldwide market so in theory you can increase the power of the transmitter illegally by choosing another market area but it’s not recommended in built up areas even if it was legal. Bearing in mind too that a mobile phone at any great distant will not have the directional aerials or transmit power to send data back to the main mask head so for it to work you need two units unless you just want to get coverage into your garden as an everyday AP.
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that! Yeah basically I was looking to extend to to cover the garden and a bit further down the street, but I'm aware laptops / mobile phones probably won't have the tx power to actually make use of the signal if they were able to pick it up down the street / garden.

Thanks again for sharing.