Advice - what to buy a new collecter

pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My boyfriend has recently decided to start collecting comics/graphic novel. He's a really big joker fan and has the killing joke and joker. I was thinking of getting him arkham asylum but I'm not sure....does anyone have any suggestions? :)

Comments

• cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joker's Asylum

or

The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told, volumes 1 and 2
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the suggestions, I shall be looking into those :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I would definietly recommned Arkham Asylum, plus Death in the Family, Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year One are essentials
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for those suggestions....I was actually considering batman year one as well. I read a bit about death in the family but I wasn't sure if it was a contained story or if I would also need to get him anything that came before to make sense of it.
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriend has recently decided to start collecting comics/graphic novel. He's a really big joker fan and has the killing joke and joker. I was thinking of getting him arkham asylum but I'm not sure....does anyone have any suggestions? :)

by collector do you mean

wants to get into the stories

or

wants to sus out what will make money

if the latter dont care
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: Arkham Asylum - make sure you get the 15th Anniversary Edition hardcover version rather than the original !!!! - it includes the original script plus annotations from the author Grant Morrison and yup, I'm reading this off the back cover :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redtux wrote: »
    by collector do you mean

or

if the latter dont care

I thought it was pretty obvious it was to get into the stories considering the OP says what kind of stories her bf likes :confused:

Personally, like has been suggested Joker's Asylum and Batman : Year One
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If he likes the Joker then I'd get start him off on some Daredevil stuff, look for Mr.Sinister's presence in the X Men titles but definitely get Arkham Asylum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    by collector do you mean

or

if the latter dont care

You can merge the two and the vast majority collect and like the stories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    by collector do you mean

or

if the latter dont care

Yes it is just for the stories. He's always liked comic book hero type things and wanted to get into comic book collecting.
    zwixxx wrote: »
    re: Arkham Asylum - make sure you get the 15th Anniversary Edition hardcover version rather than the original !!!! - it includes the original script plus annotations from the author Grant Morrison and yup, I'm reading this off the back cover :)

That is actually the one I got him :) We had a flick through after he unwrapped at and saw all that stuff added onto the ned...it was a nice bonus haha.
    Kablamo wrote: »
    If he likes the Joker then I'd get start him off on some Daredevil stuff, look for Mr.Sinister's presence in the X Men titles but definitely get Arkham Asylum.

Thank you for those suggestions. I was wondering where to go to expand his collection and move off the batman/joker ones :) I'll suggest these to him.

Thanks again for the advice people. I have a very limited knowledge of comics and only have a couple of gambit ones and the pro so the advice is very appreciated :)
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good to hear you got the 'right' Arkham version :)
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend, 'The Man Who Laughs' - which tells the story of Bats' first encounter with The Joker. :)