TV channels that have frozen in time and neglected

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What channels do you feel have been frozen in time or neglected? My list is:

GOLD - Got rebranded for just comedy in 2008 and it's been very limited on what it broadcasts and it ditched all the repeats of The Bill and Eastenders.

Kerrang - Playlists and graphics have barely changed since 2007/2008. If you tune into Kerrang it's Good Charlotte or Limp Bizkit it's easy to think you are watching music tv from a decade ago.

E4 - Pretty much the same as it was years ago apart from they ditched Big Brother and Friends.

Eurosport despite being taken over by Discovery has yet to bid for any "key" sports rights. Plus the graphics look the same as 15+ years ago. Picture quality is quite dire too on SD.

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What channels do you feel have been frozen in time or neglected? My list is:

GOLD - Got rebranded for just comedy in 2008 and it's been very limited on what it broadcasts and it ditched all the repeats of The Bill and Eastenders.

Kerrang - Playlists and graphics have barely changed since 2007/2008. If you tune into Kerrang it's Good Charlotte or Limp Bizkit it's easy to think you are watching music tv from a decade ago.

E4 - Pretty much the same as it was years ago apart from they ditched Big Brother and Friends.

Eurosport despite being taken over by Discovery has yet to bid for any "key" sports rights. Plus the graphics look the same as 15+ years ago. Picture quality is quite dire too on SD.

GOLD - has now been rebranded - extended to some US comedies - is doing the live Monty Python and has done some new shows on Morecambe and Wise and Porridge.

So neglected is hardly fair.
  • SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC 1 still churning out the same old rubbish.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual Linkinpark875 seems to be wrong as E4 has had loads of shows and even refreshed it's idents. Gold has had new look and Kerrang may be the same but it appeals to the younger rock fans and it doesn't need a new look.

CBS Action hasn't had any new shows for nearly 2 years just repeats the same crap over and over again.

CBS Drama is the same but full of shows from CBS Reality most of the time when they're not showing a crappy repeat of the awful Dallas and Knots Landing. The only shows worth watching are Jerry Springer and Waterloo Road.

5* is terrible. It doesn't really surprise me as it's a Channel 5 channel so you'd expect nothing but crap but even for Channel 5 this is a poor channel. There's nothing but repeats of Neighbours and Home & Away, a boring film and Robson Green on a daily basis. This channel is supposed to be aimed at younger people like E4 and BBC Three.

BBC Two has been sorry state for 10 years. Constant property shows in the day, BBC Four crap in the evening and then closedown at 1am. They should just merge BBC Two and BBC Four.

Really used to be a great channel but now it's full of Ghost shows and property shows. Such a shame as I used to watch it all the time and now I don't at all.

VIVA is one of my favourite channels but I'm sick of the constant repeats of Fresh Prince, My Wife & Kids, Jackass and Scrubs. They need a bigger budget and and some more sitcoms, teen drama and reality.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4, the same ancient rubbish every day between 2.30 and 7, followed by a news bulletin hardly anyone watches.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Channel 4, the same ancient rubbish every day between 2.30 and 7, followed by a news bulletin hardly anyone watches.

I often watch.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    5* is terrible. It doesn't really surprise me as it's a Channel 5 channel so you'd expect nothing but crap but even for Channel 5 this is a poor channel. There's nothing but repeats of Neighbours and Home & Away, a boring film and Robson Green on a daily basis. This channel is supposed to be aimed at younger people like E4 and BBC Three.

New episode every night after the main Ch5 episode.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of stale programming around that due to the fact it still makes a small profit and the broadcasters wouldn't know what to replace it with, keeps going. ITV in the mornings is identical to what it was 10 years ago, Channel 4 more or less the same in the afternoons and the BBC keeping old and cheap shows like Eggheads going due to a lack of money. Also the soaps are shown so much on ITV between 7 and 9, there's little else on. Indeed a lot of television now is made up of shows that are kept well past their sell by date, or shown too much like the soaps, as there is little room for innovation.
    Wonder if in 10 years time shows like Loose Women and Deal Or No Deal will still be shown.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VH1. Just churns out music videos when it used to have really good music entertainment programming.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Seconding 5*.

5USA clearly has something behind it, even if it's not to my taste- it's a decent stab at a US drama channel and it gets its own shows like Chicago PD, so at least it looks like 5 are actively operating it.

5* however, not so much- nothing of significance apart from repeats of stuff that's been on the main channel very recently. Even a failure to do the full E4 with Big Brother (or similarly support other shows, like put some of The Gadget Show's web content on air) has to be considered a missed opportunity.

-

Going to add all the MTV music channels, which if anything have gone backwards- what happened to The Lick and Gonzo? This goes double for MTV Dance which never had a show to call its own in the first place.
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True Entertainment is definitely stuck in a rut. I reckon it's actually got worse since appearing on Freeview.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll agree with VH1 - its just basically MTV Central for ads (yet everything is aimed at MTV mostly - channel has been rebranded but not much NEW to it)

E4 I actually like - The 100 and The Big Bang Theory works for me (can't complain there)

The Channel 5 channels - biggest waste of space now - Channel 5 is the now new Channel 4 basically aiming the same sort of programming Channel 4 is running and then copy the idea, the only thing I watch on there has been The Hotel Inspector/On The Yorkshire Buses but other than that nothing....

5* use to be Archer for me
    5USA - use to be CSI/NCIS but again can't be assed with these channels

I think for me its More 4 - Channel 4 can go deeper into their archives and put more of their classics on that channel such as Desmonds etc on there than the reliant property/cookery programming (they use to repeat Father Ted constantly) but I also note More 4 at times is becoming some sort of Channel 4 #2 ie Dogging Tales aired on Channel 4 then couple months down line its on there? - So they are able to repeat shows within months from main channel but can't be assed repeating more of their archives :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    Seconding 5*.

5USA clearly has something behind it, even if it's not to my taste- it's a decent stab at a US drama channel and it gets its own shows like Chicago PD, so at least it looks like 5 are actively operating it.

5* however, not so much- nothing of significance apart from repeats of stuff that's been on the main channel very recently. Even a failure to do the full E4 with Big Brother (or similarly support other shows, like put some of The Gadget Show's web content on air) has to be considered a missed opportunity.

-

Going to add all the MTV music channels, which if anything have gone backwards- what happened to The Lick and Gonzo? This goes double for MTV Dance which never had a show to call its own in the first place.

The only thing MTV Dance had was The Official Dancefloor Chart (did have a host possibly under the old MTV era) most of the "music" channels are voicetracked these days or they have presenters/celebs for specific countdowns but these channels are more backwards than forwards really .... and entertainment aint what it use to be and not by the MTV standards!
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about VIVA? Plenty of new shows but no attempt to rebrand it's tacky image or logo?
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True Entertainment is definitely stuck in a rut. I reckon it's actually got worse since appearing on Freeview.

Sony own CSC now so might improve or turn into a Sony channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Dave

It hasn't really gone nowhere since the impressive Red Dwarf comeback. Now it's trying to pass of old 8 out of 10 Cats episodes as worth staying in for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about VIVA? Plenty of new shows but no attempt to rebrand it's tacky image or logo?

VIVA is basically MTV2 - give it time the Geordies will invade it soon :o

They need to sort out the picture ratio on programming ie Fresh Prince for starters!
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    VIVA is basically MTV2 - give it time the Geordies will invade it soon :o

They need to sort out the picture ratio on programming ie Fresh Prince for starters!

Fresh prince was made over 20 years ago. I'd there anything they can do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Fresh prince was made over 20 years ago. I'd there anything they can do?

Well if you look at Sky 1 with The Simpsons they now show the originals with bars at the side but picture is at least intact compared to VIVA's chopping heads off and overly stretched or as I see when Channel 4 runs the originals they put it in original ratio ... is it that big of a problem for them to fix?

Even a better example look at Challenge with repeats of programming from 70's onwards ... all shown in original ratios (as far as I see) example:The Crystal Maze
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

They appear to be stuck in 2009 in terms of image! I think they still do that "Up Your Viva" thing. I'm kinda bored of it now. In fact it's the music channel I watch the least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They appear to be stuck in 2009 in terms of image! I think they still do that "Up Your Viva" thing. I'm kinda bored of it now. In fact it's the music channel I watch the least.

I agree with you on the "up your viva" thing as well and again its the channel I watch the least .... its another thats went straight downhill
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if you look at Sky 1 with The Simpsons they now show the originals with bars at the side but picture is at least intact compared to VIVA's chopping heads off and overly stretched or as I see when Channel 4 runs the originals they put it in original ratio ... is it that big of a problem for them to fix?

Even a better example look at Challenge with repeats of programming from 70's onwards ... all shown in original ratios (as far as I see) example:The Crystal Maze

Sky 1 only show the Simpsons with black bars on the HD channel. The SD version switches broadcast to 4:3
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I agree with you on the "up your viva" thing as well and again its the channel I watch the least .... its another thats went straight downhill

Yeah and they've become more of a general entertainment channel than a music channel. Everytime I turn it on they're showing some rubbish show or movie. I personally don't think music channels should have shows unless they're related to music.
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave

It hasn't really gone nowhere since the impressive Red Dwarf comeback. Now it's trying to pass of old 8 out of 10 Cats episodes as worth staying in for.

Dave do invest in their own programming such as Dave's One Night Stand, Dave Gorman's Modern Life Is Goodish as well as imported programmes such as Storage Hunters, Man vs Food, Suits, etc..... But on the other hand I am fed up of QI and Mock The Week repeats every night though. I wish they would show something else! They used to show stuff like Peep Show, Mitchell & Webb Look, Spaced, past series of The Apprentice, Dragons Den, I'm Alan Partridge, Bottom which would be nice to see again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Sky 1 only show the Simpsons with black bars on the HD channel. The SD version switches broadcast to 4:3

Is that stretched (as such)? original format? Last time I looked on SD it looked like it had bars on side but aware of HD doing that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah and they've become more of a general entertainment channel than a music channel. Everytime I turn it on they're showing some rubbish show or movie. I personally don't think music channels should have shows unless they're related to music.

Yet look at MTV and 4Music - MTV wall to wall reality 4Music by night car crash Kardashians VIVA is really MTV/Comedy Central (vice versa)