Have they changed something?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    I totally agree. Something has changed. My box is performing, like yours, in a substantially improved manner. Lets just be pleased!
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only explination I can think of is that the new Talk Talk player freed up some resources that were previously in short supply (like RAM) so the box is performing better without new SW.

I can't think how else the box can be working faster without a new SW version.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only explination I can think of is that the new Talk Talk player freed up some resources that were previously in short supply (like RAM) so the box is performing better without new SW.

I can't think how else the box can be working faster without a new SW version.

That's a thought. It is as likely as any other explanation we have been able to come up with. Tried for the update again this morning. Still not there. If the sporting theory holds any water, it might be sometime in the next two weeks to slot in before the football kicks off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a thought. It is as likely as any other explanation we have been able to come up with. Tried for the update again this morning. Still not there. If the sporting theory holds any water, it might be sometime in the next two weeks to slot in before the football kicks off.

Last night my box stopped telling me there had been an error updating, and just said I had the current release (last updated February).

Its a mystery all right, much more responsive to the remote than it was, but sadly it did freeze twice while FF through ad-breaks in one show! So that problem hasn't permanently gone away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the commercial skip function (the other 'fast forward' buttons with two triangles below the regular ones)? This shunts the recording forward thirty seconds, so four presses sees you through a typical advert break. Best to allow half a second or so between each press.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the commercial skip function (the other 'fast forward' buttons with two triangles below the regular ones)? This shunts the recording forward thirty seconds, so four presses sees you through a typical advert break. Best to allow half a second or so between each press.

Funny you should mention leaving a gap between presses. I think the freezing happens if I press Play twice quickly (still slowing my mind down to Huawei speed and press again if the FF doesn't stop instantly as I see I'm fast forwarding through the program!).

I'll give the skip a try, but this is more of a "work around" than a fix. The box shouldn't freeze just from hitting a remote button too quickly.
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the commercial skip function...This shunts the recording forward thirty seconds, so four presses sees you through a typical advert break. Best to allow half a second or so between each press.

Each skip forward is 1 minute, each skip backward is 15 seconds if you accidentally overshoot.

I use the pause button as soon as the advert break arrives and then the skip buttons, this means every time I skip to a still frame and allows me to get past the adverts in silence rather than being aurally blasted by fragments of loud adverts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Sorry for delay.

Software number - 70.30.09
    Component software - 1.7.22
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still the original software. The more I think about it, the more I suspect that NiceGuy might be onto something when he wrote that the new TalkTalk Player might have freed up resources that the boxes are using now. We were all told to leave our boxes on standby overnight for it to be installed, so it was a download of some description. It's all conjecture, of course, but things are looking up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    My parents box defiantly works much faster, works as well as my trial box easily!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each skip forward is 1 minute, each skip backward is 15 seconds if you accidentally overshoot.

I use the pause button as soon as the advert break arrives and then the skip buttons, this means every time I skip to a still frame and allows me to get past the adverts in silence rather than being aurally blasted by fragments of loud adverts.

I think I'm converted!

The skip function was easier than FF for avoiding adverts.
  • RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,157
    Forum Member
    Deleted