Options

Great Canal Journies

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »
    Timothy & Shane Spall + Prunella & Timothy West.
    They should make an episode of the four of them all being together
    The West's can navigate the Canals and The Spall's can navigate the open sea.

I'd watch that. Love both couples.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would really work.

Timothy Spall is a foul mouthed grumpy so and so with very little patience.

I am sure he could act his way out of portraying that (almost), but it wouldn't be natural and I think it would spoil our enjoyment.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it would really work.

Timothy Spall is a foul mouthed grumpy so and so with very little patience.

I am sure he could act his way out of portraying that (almost), but it wouldn't be natural and I think it would spoil our enjoyment.

As opposed to Timothy West who is always so calm and polite..............except when he's ranting and raving angrily at his (ill) wife when she is doing her best. Saying sorry afterwards (for the cameras) doesnt excuse this. I may be in the minority but I find him an aggresive miserable grumpy old man. Pru on the other hand is simply lovely.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    As opposed to Timothy West who is always so calm and polite..............except when he's ranting and raving angrily at his (ill) wife when she is doing her best. Saying sorry afterwards (for the cameras) doesnt excuse this. I may be in the minority but I find him an aggresive miserable grumpy old man. Pru on the other hand is simply lovely.

As someone who had to look after his wife who suffered terrible depression for 5 years where many times a day she would beg me to kill her to put her out of her misery,
    Although I loved my wife to bits I found myself becoming angry and frustrated with her. It didn't mean I was a bad person or loved her less, it's just how it is when you are living with and looking after someone with a debilitating condition.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to be on that lock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shed a few tears for Pru when she got confused :(

The lock was a bit :o But did look lovely at night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As someone who had to look after his wife who suffered terrible depression for 5 years where many times a day she would beg me to kill her to put her out of her misery,
    Although I loved my wife to bits I found myself becoming angry and frustrated with her. It didn't mean I was a bad person or loved her less, it's just how it is when you are living with and looking after someone with a debilitating condition.

:(

I think it frustration that they cannot do what they use to do. It's just terribly sad for both.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    The Falkirk Wheel looks amazing. As does the horses heads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pru looks really well in this episode.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A paddle steamer on the Clyde. Wow.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That probably ended just when it needed to.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    This was the first episode I caught and I was sucked in, Tim and Pru seem such lovely, down to earth and loving people- Everybody gets frustrated at some points with anyone, especially if you've been married over 50 years, it added to their charm for me- Hope they get to do another series, they seemed to absolutely love it and so did I (The Falkirk Wheel was amazing, I wanted a go!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What illness has Pru got ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What illness has Pru got ?

Some form of dementia or early onset Alzheimer's
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Thought we might have seen a bit more of the wheel in action. It just cut from the top to the bottom, would have been handy to see a shot at the halfway point from the inside and from afar.
    Manned locks? Complimentary moorers next !
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    I remember riding my bike through that long dark tunnel, many years ago. If was really spooky and there was no safety barrier back then so lights were a necessity if you wanted to come out the other side, dry. It was also absolutely freezing, even in hot summer.
    We also cycled across the Avon aqueduct, which was pretty scary, looking down. I'm pretty sure there were no railings on the side opposite the towpath back then too.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Thought we might have seen a bit more of the wheel in action. It just cut from the top to the bottom, would have been handy to see a shot at the halfway point from the inside and from afar.
    Manned locks? Complimentary moorers next !

They run boat trips up the wheel, must be video out there on youtube, quality might be questionable though.
    Takes 15 minutes to do the whole thing.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    I am so pleased to see that we have a second series of Tim and Pru's 'Great Canal Journeys'. Such a lovely gentle and relaxing watch; and they are such a lovely couple too.:)

Totally agree, I loved their first series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »

They were stunning.
  • Options
    eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 23,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »

Indeed, I was a bit surprised at how impatient and nasty he was being...if he can be like that on camera, well, what's he like off camera?
    Put me right off him.
    Love the series though, for the scenery and info.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably thought he was back in EE.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takes 15 minutes to do the whole thing.
    Yes, but I thought they could have used 15-20 seconds to show it 'in action'.
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I thought it was "wonderful" of Mr West who is fully aware of his wife's condition to lose his temper with her. He has gone down in my estimation of him. And simply steering the boat while his wife does all the hard work is a bit much. I could say much more but it would mean using swear words.. please Channel 4 ...dump Mr West
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daicoll wrote: »
    I thought it was "wonderful" of Mr West who is fully aware of his wife's condition to lose his temper with her. He has gone down in my estimation of him. And simply steering the boat while his wife does all the hard work is a bit much. I could say much more but it would mean using swear words.. please Channel 4 ...dump Mr West

He may do all the cooking and washing up as we don't see everything that goes on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pru is a diamond.
    It must be difficult to accept and also adapt to , the fact your partner is failing, it's obvious he is devoted to her.

I live a few miles from the Wheel yet never thought to visit it.
    It looks amazing.