Options

EE - New Martin so much like Old Martin!

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
His mannerisms and the way he talks are so much like the way James A did.

Is this great acting by James B, or just a coincidence?

Comments

• Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy new Martin slowly bedding in
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed that too.

Also, James A & James B :)
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He really did sound like old Martin the other night when he called out Kushs name. Thought the old Martin actually came back for a split second! Lol
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    I don't mind him, he just needs time to bed in.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it when new actors of a character allude to the history while it was played by another actor. Even if we didn't like the storylines themselves, there is some good continuity and realism to it.

Martin referencing both Sarah Cairns and Naomi Julien (without mentioning their names).

A few months ago Shabnam mentioned her nights out with Carly Wicks and Dawn Swann.

Somehow I don't think the new Ben will namedrop Stella Crawford or Lucas Johnson anytime soon.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I think they are very alike, i've been fine with him since the start.

He's not as sulky as old Martin but that can easily be explained by the growing up anybody would do during their twenties.
  • Options
    wilpeepwilpeep Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    He's fine. Not much else to say about him.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think he even looks quite a bit like the other one. He's doing a decent job.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Agree. It's still early days but he's slotting in as Martin quite well. I think he really shown he had what it takes to carry the baton of representing one of the original, iconic family names in the live week hour special. He slotted in seamlessly to all the drama surrounding Dot and Nick's death. I look forward to seeing more from him.

One thing though - I still don't buy that this older Martin would have been such a thoughtless husband and father as portrayed off-screen since Sonia came back. At least he's here now to unsully his name!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Physically he is like JA, maybe a bit softer, called James also, I like him
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Agree. It's still early days but he's slotting in as Martin quite well. I think he really shown he had what it takes to carry the baton of representing one of the original, iconic family names in the live week hour special. He slotted in seamlessly to all the drama surrounding Dot and Nick's death. I look forward to seeing more from him.

One thing though - I still don't buy that this older Martin would have been such a thoughtless husband and father as portrayed off-screen since Sonia came back. At least he's here now to unsully his name!

He's been trash talked by Sonia for months. I wouldn't trust a word that comes out of her mouth.

Martin is great. A real everyday bloke viewers can relate too. James Bye has a lot to live up to after James Alexandrou spent years growing into the role. I like him though and I hope he does the same.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both played by crap actors
    I gave the new martin a fair shot as even by his small cameo when he appeared at the ambulance to see a collapsed sonia, people were slagging him off and everything. But now he has been given more material and appeared a lot more, last night proved to be a crap actor he is. He overplayed every scene and it was painful to watch. I was also reminded how much i disliked Martin anyway.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    A great casting who's settling in better than many.
  • Options
    flounder78flounder78 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Did James A decide not to come back?
  • Options
    idgwiatidgwiat Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Martin is great. A real everyday bloke viewers can relate too. James Bye has a lot to live up to after James Alexandrou spent years growing into the role. I like him though and I hope he does the same.

Yes, he is one of that rare breed, A white working class actor;-):D
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flounder78 wrote: »
    Did James A decide not to come back?

I think that's how the story goes. Something about how his time has passed on EE. He gave his endorsement of James Bye taking up the role of Martin.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like him - he doesn't feel like a recast and I really like having him on the square. He's fit right back in with no problems.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's how the story goes. Something about how his time has passed on EE. He gave his endorsement of James Bye taking up the role of Martin.

Yeh he even changed his pic on twitter to James B when Martin reappeared in December which I thought was lovely :)