Victoria Derbyshire's New BBC Show

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    In your opinion, actually she is a good presenter and there covering powerful stuff today.

Hope you and everyone doesn't suffer from dementia, whoever they are, even if they make flippant remarks.

I saw her guest-hosting Newsnight a few times. She was ****ing abysmal.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    I would imagine this will be moved off simulcast quickly and solely on BBC 2. These type of things tend to get crapped on by the morning viewers.

Agree,if I wanted to watch womens issues I would watch ITV who do these sort of things a lot better,or even C5.
    I dont think tne BBC should be trying to compete for these viewers in a morning when they are well catered for already.News channel should be about news.
  • snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Agree,if I wanted to watch womens issues I would watch ITV

You think dementia is a women's issue?
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snossis wrote: »
    You think dementia is a women's issue?

It's not NEWS.

Therefore these human interest stories shouldn't be taking up all morning on the News Channel.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I thought it was very good today.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not NEWS.

Therefore these human interest stories shouldn't be taking up all morning on the News Channel.
    Yes, it's a big mistake to water down the BBC's News channel output with this style of programming, especially when it is already being broadcast on a more suitable channel.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yes, it's a big mistake to water down the BBC's News channel output with this style of programming, especially when it is already being broadcast on a more suitable channel.

Sky tried it back in 2005. They quickly got rid of it.

I love Derbyshire's deep insincerity masquerading as compassion.

I look forward to a discussion on marital infidelity.

As far as I can see from the BBC publicity she is not involved in their election coverage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You lot are sorely mistaken. The programme was commissioned by the News Channel, not BBC Two, so they are unlikely to dump their own programme from their own channel.

It is the first commission by the News Channel to air on terrestrial TV. Put your wind back in its bag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put your wind back in its bag.
    Sorry?
  • VanbastVanbast Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    This is a very poor idea.

I though it was bad enough on Bank holidays and weekends when BBC News virtually shuts down and shows 'Meet the Author' and 'Click' over and over again.

And now this... I want news back.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Featured just now on R4's The Media Show with Derbyshire herself having to defend this rubbish from complaints.

Unless this run is just a couple of weeks there's no way it's going to go the distance.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Apparently there's been a lot of discussion on the Victoria Derbyshire on Twitter. Has anyone any links to that.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And regardless as to which channel commissioned it, it should be patently obvious that it does not belong on the News channel, and that the BBC needs to review its options here.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And regardless as to which channel commissioned it, it should be patently obvious that it does not belong on the News channel, and that the BBC needs to review its options here.

It's probably to do with the TV Licence Freeze and all the cuts that have had to be made at the BBC in general. It's probably very cheap to make.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    It's probably to do with the TV Licence Freeze and all the cuts that have had to be made at the BBC in general.
    Ian.

Oh I agree, but this is the wrong way to address those cuts, especially to a news service which should be a central plank of the BBC's PSB commitment. Show it online & on BBC Two. Even simulcast it on radio if you want to save money. But to remove a couple of hours of news service Mon-Fri for a programme such as this is wrong. Plonking any old discussion programme on the News channel for nearly two hours each weekday morning is not the solution.
    And as I pointed out earlier in this thread, the News channel didn't even cover the speech on Europe given by Tony Blair - now regardless as to your feelings towards Blair, what he had to say was very newsworthy, and the News channel should have covered it. The BBC did not provide a proper news service, and therefore failed its viewers.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like others I can't understand why this is on BBC2 - the channel carries extracts from BBC World News during the day which is fine but a repeat of 'Allo 'Allo would be hugely welcome by comparison with this. I was glad to hear Steve Hewitt giving her a hard time on Radio 4 today but then he's an old pro.She sounded terribly arrogant in reply.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    She was on the Media Show on Radio 4 this afternoon - being very up herself in response to any criticism.
    She kept sighing and giving rather condescending withering replies.

I haven't seen her programme but she didn't come across very well on the radio anyway.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    She was on the Media Show on Radio 4 this afternoon - being very up herself in response to any criticism.

I haven't seen her programme but she didn't come across very well on the radio anyway.

I heard that, she came in for some pretty tough questioning & was pretty frosty with her replies !

She said they covered stories that hadn't been in the media much recently, like transgender children & dementia ( well sorry I've heard quite a lot about that of late. )

I fear it's going to turn into a copy of her programme on Radio 5 !
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    I heard that, she came in for some pretty tough questioning & was pretty frosty with her replies !

She said they covered stories that hadn't been in the media much recently, like transgender children & dementia ( well sorry I've heard quite a lot about that of late. )

I fear it's going to turn into a copy of her programme on Radio 5 !

I hope it is.

That was great.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed on both shows so far she asks a question, person gets on with their answer and she drops her gaze and reads her tablet leaving them to talk to the side of her head. How rude!
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Noticed on both shows so far she asks a question, person gets on with their answer and she drops her gaze and reads her tablet leaving them to talk to the side of her head. How rude!

I noticed this, I think this is the normal thing for TV, we should not really see it though.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Agree , she came across terribly today, almost above criticism.
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    i want to sit downwith my cuppa and watch the news with Simon Mccoy and co not see a Kaye Adams clone
  • barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it me or was there a report/trailer actually in the 6 o'clock news on the not-for-advertising BBC this week,
    being presented by the hitherto unused BBC journalist . . . . . .Victoria Derbyshire ?*
    I thought the 6 o'clock BBC news was solely for headlining Panorama stories?

*Any suggestion that this item was in the news to promote her new programme
    is unintentional and completely coincidental.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VD thinks very highly of herself.