Can anyone give me some advice about removing cat pee...

chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
...from my car seat :(

Took my cat to the vets this morning to get her micro-chipped, and she must have been so nervous that she peed all over my brother's lap (without him knowing because it was so blimmin' hot today :D His reaction once he'd realised what had happened was priceless! "I can smell cat wee.....*touches his bum* OH NO!!") and now my car seat/entire car STINKS of kitty pee-pee.

What should I do? I had at it with the steam setting of my iron and then blitz it with Febreeze, but it still stinks.

Plus, I was in my car aaaaall day with this beautiful weather (well, not aaaall day, but a substantial amount of time :o) without air con, and so I also stink of hot cat pee.

Comments

• North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really need a pet carrier to transport your cat where she is secure, not on a lap with somone just holding her, she could jump down and be off with goodness knows what consequences. I should invest in one immediately, in the meantime hope someone might have a remedy for the pee problem.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice, North Downs, but we do have a pet carrier. However, I had to borrow my brother's today and unlike mine, it wasn't very well ventilated at all and she was panting and wheezing so badly that he decided to get her out and let her sit on his lap so she could cool down.

She was very well behaved so luckily nothing happened, but I do still understand that it could have.

Any advice for getting out the cat wee?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about tomato juice? There was a mention elsewhere about an animal that rolled in fox droppings, and using ketchup.

I know tomato juice is used on dogs in the US for skunk smells, but I don't know if it would stain the fabric of your car seat (it's ok on animal fur apparently!).
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White vinegar and a little baking soda with warm water is supposed to work, also adding Listerine might help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steam clean the seat. Then do it again and again. Its not cat pee but my daughter stood on the oil canister and it spilled all over the back 2 seats we had a 7 seater. I took the seat out and stuck it in the bath. It took about a month to get everything out. I put air freshener in i had about 6 in all together it went. Oil does stink
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bi-carbn of soda. sprinkle all over, let it set for a while then hoover up. that'll deal with it.

And to those that reprimand not taking your cat in a cat carrier - some cats do/will not travel in one. My cat never did. She sat on the back seat, completely calm, a lot less stressed than she ever was in a carrier. My boys now happily travel in one, but my old girl hated them. She was happy enough on the back seat in an old towel. :)
  • LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    Cant you buy that spray stuff from Pets at Home etc that removes the odour?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Cats pee contains a lot of bacteria and enzymes which causes the smell. So to remove it you need to use a product that acts as an enzyme remover. In my experience the best household product that does this, is a carpet stain remover like 1001 spray. Spray it on affected area and let it do it's magic and then wash away. Then wash the item in the washing machine with a bit of vanish or oxy powder to be safe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Shampoo the seat with biological washing powder, then do it again! Then use the bicarbonate of soda.
    (Then sell the car.....)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    rios2000 wrote: »
    Cats pee contains a lot of bacteria and enzymes which causes the smell. So to remove it you need to use a product that acts as an enzyme remover. In my experience the best household product that does this, is a carpet stain remover like 1001 spray. Spray it on affected area and let it do it's magic and then wash away. Then wash the item in the washing machine with a bit of vanish or oxy powder to be safe.

I also think carpet stain remover is the best .
  • David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't have cat loose in car (pedals) :(
  • Old DudeOld Dude Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    A long time ago when we had a toddler running round the house someone recommended Stardrops as being an excellent product for getting the smell of kid's puke out of things. Years later when our geriatric cat was discovered to have started secretly peeing indoors we found Stardrops was equally effective.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I posted this yesterday, but it got lost somehow. Reading about the cat riding in the car out of its carrier reminded me of a news item I saw last year.

Hunted around and finally found it:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8108281.stm

The scene in the car is the one I meant, but the whole clip is 'aah!' :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    that is so cute!!! he looks so contented when he is being stroked!
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the replies, muchos appreciated.

I've tried the Pets At Home Stain and Odour spray stuff, but it hasn't really made that much of a difference. Honestly, with this boiling hot weather, you have no idea how much my car rags when I get in it every morning :( I swear I must stink of pee too.

Tomato juice and/or ketchup sounds crazy! :D Plus, it would stain my seat so I'll give that a miss I think, haha!

Found the steamer so going to give it a blast in a bit, then I will try some of the other methods others have suggested.

Going to try the 1001 spray which we ALWAYS use on carpet stains and it works wonders. Don't know how it'll work with the smell as that's what I'm trying to get rid of. No stain or anything (thank God!) just the stench.

Also might try this bicarb soda, white vinegar, warm water and Listerine method. Sound very How Clean Is Your House!

Thanks again homies! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the replies, muchos appreciated.

I've tried the Pets At Home Stain and Odour spray stuff, but it hasn't really made that much of a difference. Honestly, with this boiling hot weather, you have no idea how much my car rags when I get in it every morning :( I swear I must stink of pee too.

Tomato juice and/or ketchup sounds crazy! :D Plus, it would stain my seat so I'll give that a miss I think, haha!

Found the steamer so going to give it a blast in a bit, then I will try some of the other methods others have suggested.

Going to try the 1001 spray which we ALWAYS use on carpet stains and it works wonders. Don't know how it'll work with the smell as that's what I'm trying to get rid of. No stain or anything (thank God!) just the stench.

Also might try this bicarb soda, white vinegar, warm water and Listerine method. Sound very How Clean Is Your House!

Thanks again homies! :)

If you have a steam cleaner go for that first. But do the bicarb thing too. And after sprinkling it where the accident happened find somewhere secure to leave the rest of the pot - it really does 'soak up' all the bad odours in the car.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please let us know *what works* then we can all use this thread for future use. :D:
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat peed on a new sofa when she was a kitten. I was recommended vinegar mixed with lemon juice is a spray bottle. I sprayed it everyday for a week . At first all I could smell was vinegar. I then sprinkled some bi carb and hovered it. The smell went. The cat never sits on that sofa. Apparently cats hate the smell of vinegar
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I once had to transport a rescue cat to the vet to be spayed. The owner provided the carrier, which was the wire type - but she had lost the plastic tray bottom bit, so there was just a towel underneath the cat.... the cat was scared... the cat wee'd.... it went all over my back seat. It was hot weather, I could barely get back in the car.

I bought some odour eliminator from the vet and followed the instructions (you dampen the area, spray the product, leave it to dry). The smell was completely gone the next day. The product is what vet nurses use to get rid of 'accident' smells so I guess that is why it's so effective.

Biological detergent is also very effective, so I would use that for the brother's clothing - not really suitable for a car seat though as you'd have to wet the area too much.
    Forum Member
    Had at it with steam cleaner, sprayed some 1001 Stain Remover spray, had at it again with steamer (to make it dry) then sprinkled some baking powder all over the seat. Now, is that the same as Bicarb of Soda? :o Someone told me there's no real difference.

Anyway, I hoovered it all up the next morning, and to be fair, the smell has gone down a lot-lot more, but it's not completely gone imo. However, I am the only one who can smell it, everyone seems to think that's just how my car has always smelt! (smelled?) :mad: But I know the truth...:D

Also, I was going to give it yet another blast with the steamer (I love that thing!) but I stupidly asked my mother to put white vinegar in it, and what did she do? Put cider vinegar in it. So now the steam STINKS. She said "I did put white vinegar in it! Cider vinegar is white!" I said "Noooo. Cider vinegar is sliiightly clearer than Red Wine vinegar, Malt vinegar and all the others, but it's still not WHITE vinegar. In fact ironically, it's the colour of pee!"

So yeah..gotta wait until the steamer steams itself out before I can use it again :rolleyes: I'm having really bad withdrawal symptoms without it, it seems :( .... :D