Muse - Origin Of Symmetry

spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Listening to Muse's Origin Of Symmetry album still, to this day, takes me on a journey to the edges of our galaxy and back, at Warp Factor 10!!! I could never tire of listening to this album, it's a bloody masterpiece! Every damn second of it! Anyone else agree?! :)

Comments

• RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no 2112...:rolleyes:
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a album of two halves. The first six tracks are great, the last five not so good.
    I personally think they peaked with Absolution with the last two albums being pretty weak.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    It's a album of two halves. The first six tracks are great, the last five not so good.
    I personally think they peaked with Absolution with the last two albums being pretty weak.

I would agree with this, Orange In A Cemetery is great until after Micro Cuts. After that it dies on its arse, all the momentum disappears. And Absolution set them on the course they're on now - it gave them a taste of celebrity, and the music has suffered since, which is a shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes count me in the Absolution is amazing crew. Black Holes onwards they've dumbed down and failed to fulfil their potential.

Origin was great too - just didn't flow as well as Absolution.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I agree, Absolution is an amazing album too. Their last really great album, imo. Black Holes has it's moments but it was quite a step down from their first three albums, I think. The Resistance I really don't like much at all. Definitely my least favourite Muse album. The 2nd Law is an improvement on that, definitely. Some pretty good songs on it but still not a patch on the first 3 albums.

Still one of my all-time favourite bands though.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both OoS and Absolution. Black Holes is ok but I really went off Muse big time with The Resistance. Having said that, I went to see them on that tour which I don't regret at all, but their direction of travel means that I haven't bought any of their stuff since The Resistance because it is all too overblown and pretentious for my liking.

There are a couple of tracks on TR which I dislike so much that I hardly ever listen to that album any more (I know you can skip tracks, but I've generally been one to listen to albums as they were recorded. My daughter drives me crazy flicking backwards and forwards through album tracks!)
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I love both OoS and Absolution. Black Holes is ok but I really went off Muse big time with The Resistance. Having said that, I went to see them on that tour which I don't regret at all, but their direction of travel means that I haven't bought any of their stuff since The Resistance because it is all too overblown and pretentious for my liking.

There are a couple of tracks on TR which I dislike so much that I hardly ever listen to that album any more (I know you can skip tracks, but I've generally been one to listen to albums as they were recorded. My daughter drives me crazy flicking backwards and forwards through album tracks!)

The 2nd Law is considerably better than The Resistance, in my opinion. I only really like Uprising and the Exogenesis Symphony on that album. I rarely listen to that album whereas I do listen to The 2nd Law quite a bit, skipping just a few tracks. It's worth it for the track Animals alone. Great song more like the Muse of old. Check it out if you haven't heard it. Liquid State is quite good too. Different for Muse but I love it. I don't know why Muse are trying to sound so much like U2 on a couple of tracks though! They don't need to sound like them when they've always had their own distinctive sound!

I still listen to Showbiz a lot. Brings back a lot of fond memories for me and it has one of my favourite songs ever on it - Sunburn! :)
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    The Second Law is a good album. Good musically and if you listen to the lyrics, its all the same kind of things Muse always sing about.

I do wish they would go back to making music with Classical elements like they used to though. Take A Bow is one of my favourites simply due to the key changes moving through that Circle of Fifths.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite album of all time, it was quite something seeing it performed live in it's entirety at Reading a few years back
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I prefer The Resistance over 2nd Law. If you took the best songs of Blackholes and Resistance you'd have a very strong album. However 2nd Law in my opinion only has a couple of decent tracks on it - the rest are just dull (those two songs not sung/written by Matt being the biggest offenders!).
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Origin is one of the best albums ever made and I won't hear a bad word against it. :p Simply astonishing.

Absolution comes a close second. I actually prefer Resistance to BH&R, the former has an extra couple of enjoyable tracks for me. 2nd Law's hit and miss and Showbiz is a great listen, good to hear some more love for Sunburn :)
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I keep meaning to buy it omfg.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,082
    Forum Member
    First album I ever bought! Muse peaked at Absolution, BH&R was still a good album but a decline. Resistance was them disappearing up their own arses, The 2nd Law was them slowly creeping back out.

I'd rank them;
    1.) Absolution
    2.) OoS
    3.) BH&R
    4.) Showbiz

Big Gap

5.) The 2nd Law

Massive gap

6.) The Resistance