BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Richard Bacon was like a bored child during Ed Miliband's speech today. He kept asking whether it was over?

I do wonder if Richard Bacon's got mild attention deficit disorder !

He'll be completely hyped up this afternoon, isn't it his last day ? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gawd blimey, this mornings magazine programme so far is a bundle of laughs, ebola, bipolar,..... I thought Derbyshire had left.

I lasted about 5 minutes !
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Didn't we all ?

We are the listeners. Richard Bacon is the presenter.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »
    5 Live needs a revamp. Keep the evening football guys but daytime, weekday stuff has got so painfully boring. And time Bacon was moved on to Talk Sport - his level. I always switch channels when he is on irrespective of some of the good guests he has on. Anyone agree ?
    Er - he's soon moving to LA. He's been offered something or other over there, so could be about to make his fame and fortune.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bacon got a lot of flak by text this afternoon, when he asked what would people miss about his programme :)

Oh & he had Piers Morgan on :o
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least the Ebola thing was interesting and is big news. Once we got onto the bipolar stuff I turned off....and I am bipolar
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness a total knob like Piers Morgan got a job....for a while. Bacon will probably do OK talentless prat etc.

I think Morgan had some big connections as well as I believe (as I've never watched an episode I'm guessing a bit) a high profile gig on x factor and the American version already before given a network slot.

I don't think Bacons bored afternoon luvvy in has the same level of recognition in the US Rodney.... :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness a total knob like Piers Morgan got a job....for a while. Bacon will probably do OK talentless prat etc.

Piers Morgan may be a "knob" but he's a very bright chap. I don't see Bacon being in his league.

I quite enjoyed the final show. Yes, it was very self-indulgent but that was forgiveable in the circumstances. Morgan was a good guest but it's just a shame the interview was recorded before the news about the Mirror hacking broke.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really understood the flack Bacon got as a presenter. Good luck to him and I'll be following his career in the States.
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll really miss Richard. Loved the little montage they did for him at the end of show, and it was a great final podcast too. He's the kind of person who will always land on his feet, he's just so relentlessly enthusiastic and optimistic. I remember him saying that he tells his wife at least once a week that he thinks it's the best day of his life. That would actually drive me mad, being a real pessimist myself, but Americans love that whole PMA thing, so I think they'll take to him.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else find that the Dr Karl hour on UAN goes very quickly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never listen to it live as I'm too busy sleeping but it's one of my favourite podcasts despite it being slightly annoying at times (Rhod often sounds bored and they have the same callers on too often). I always listen to to it when going out for an evening walk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I do. I put it on my MP3 player & listen when I go to bed, & yes Rhod does sound bored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Lord, is it nothing but Claire Balding & golf until Sunday evening now ? :o

Why have they started to talk about it now ? The matches don't start until tomorrow. !
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down.

It's the main story on virtually every Sports Section in our national press. It's on many news pages as well. Talksport is also going big on it.

This is a major sporting event on a news and sports station.

What else do you expect?
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

It's the only decent thing on Rhod's show. Why he's still on is beyond me when there have been far better people covering the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    It's the only decent thing on Rhod's show. Why he's still on is beyond me when there have been far better people covering the show.

Isn't doesn't matter how bored Rhod sounds. Even on on his worst days he is still a far better broadcaster than Dotun could ever dream of being.

The golf over the next few days is going to give me a good chance of catching up on some old podcasts.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Isn't doesn't matter how bored Rhod sounds. Even on on his worst days he is still a far better broadcaster than Dotun could ever dream of being.

The golf over the next few days is going to give me a good chance of catching up on some old podcasts.

I'm not a Dotun fan either and would be quite happy to see them both gone.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This^^^^ should be a couple of hours during the daytime not tucked away into the nighttime schedule. We've had bl**dy years of bl**dy Derbyshire and her incessant misery instead of years of Dr Karl. Yet some people consider us moaners...
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Calm down.

It's the main story on virtually every Sports Section in our national press. It's on many news pages as well. Talksport is also going big on it.

What else do you expect?

While I'm not sure about the necessity for Radio 5 Live to broadcast an afternoon Ryder Cup preview show between 12noon-2pm today - although it did make sense to move Mayo & Kermode forward one day given tomorrow's play in the golf - I don't think you can really criticise them for broadcasting live commentary of Friday's live golf on their AM station.

For those of you who would advocate weekday Ryder Cup commentary to go onto BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (as I think it has done in previous years), that may not be an option tomorrow. This week is also the final round of cricket's County Championship, with 5LSE having consistently broadcast weekday county cricket commentaries throughout the summer. Currently ongoing into tomorrow's final day of the season is Lancashire v Middlesex, a head-to-head between the two teams still fighting against relegation from Division One.

Clearly 5LSE should broadcast that crucial four-day match until its conclusion and therefore it makes sense for the first day of Ryder Cup commentary to go onto Radio 5 Live, with Saturday and Sunday's play due to be broadcast in full during the 5 Live Sport timeslot - ahead of live Premier League football commentaries, no less, which very rarely play second fiddle to anything else broadcast by the station.

I know golf and sports commentary in general isn't to everyone's tastes, but as I have explained before on here live golf coverage very rarely encroaches upon the timeslots generally reserved for non-sport programming over the course of a year. The Open Golf Championship takes up one Thursday and one Friday afternoon and early evening per year and then the back nine holes of the three US major championships take up Stephen Nolan's timeslot on three Sunday nights per year. With it being a Ryder Cup year, you've got an extra day of live golf, but these six days are a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of hours usually reserved for non-sport programmes that things like the Olympics, Wimbledon, the Commonwealth Games, World Cups and European Championships receive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katherine Downes showing that she's hopeless when she doesn't have an autocue to read from.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The golf won't be on all day on 5live as they'll be covering parts of the Commons debate. Quite right too. The Ryder Cup is my favourite sporting event bar none, but some things are just more important, and I'll still be able to hear the golf if I choose.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Calm down.

What else do you expect?

It's not sport....it's a pastime....... :p:D
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know golf and sports commentary in general isn't to everyone's tastes, but as I have explained before on here live golf coverage very rarely encroaches upon the timeslots generally reserved for non-sport programming over the course of a year. The Open Golf Championship takes up one Thursday and one Friday afternoon and early evening per year and then the back nine holes of the three US major championships take up Stephen Nolan's timeslot on three Sunday nights per year. With it being a Ryder Cup year, you've got an extra day of live golf, but these six days are a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of hours usually reserved for non-sport programmes that things like the Olympics, Wimbledon, the Commonwealth Games, World Cups and European Championships receive.

I take your point but I'm never happy when the schedules get thrown out of the window for sport. Then I migrate to the drama and comedy of Radio Four Xtra, leaving the drama and comedy of Five Live's sport coverage behind. For now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    I take your point but I'm never happy when the schedules get thrown out of the window for sport. Then I migrate to the drama and comedy of Radio Four Xtra, leaving the drama and comedy of Five Live's sport coverage behind. For now.

I'm off to Classic fm !
This discussion has been closed.