Options

How Could AS Put Roisin Under Pressure? She's The Only One Who's Standing Out!

StykerStyker Posts: 49,867
Forum Member
AS really got on my nerves with the way he put Roisin under pressure like that as if she's not been performing when she so has!

Didn't she win a task as PM and then with the Game task, she was the brains behind the idea that went onto win? Surely the reason why Sugar hasn't seen much of her or heard from her is because she is either on the winning side the most or the rest of them know she is the only one who is really performing and thats why she was never bought back before.

Looking back over the years, I think its really evident that Sugar takes a disliking to most of the best performing ones as he's either sacked most of them along the way or more often than not, doesn't go for the person who's closest to having it all but goes for the person who isn't that consistent but has had some results.

Comments

• Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    She lost as PM actually
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs to know that the candidate can cope under pressure. The best way for him to judge is in the boardroom.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ agree, sometimes avoiding the boardroom can be worse than being in there. At least those that have been in A: know how to play the game and B: have some experience of the process and know how to fight their corner, and are aware that once in the final 3, friends don't really count.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Looking back over the years, I think its really evident that Sugar takes a disliking to most of the best performing ones as he's either sacked most of them along the way or more often than not, doesn't go for the person who's closest to having it all but goes for the person who isn't that consistent but has had some results.
    He doesn't like lawyers, accountants and others of that ilk. It's a long standing bias. It's part of why he fired Lauren. Admittedly she'd done poorly, but when it came to it his reason was "gut feeling", ie bias.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems the most level headed out of the remaining candidates, along with Katie I'd say, but can you actually state any individual moment of outstanding brilliance she has brought to the table?

She looks like someone you could buy as Sugar's business partner, I expect her to make the interview ep and we'll see what her idea is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the old format she'd of been his ideal candidate, someone level headed, and likes to nail things down, but needs a firm set of rules, thats accountants. As a partner, not sure what she will bring, LS doesn't want to be spending his time training her, thats not what this format is about, you basically need a good BP and have basically all the skills, but require money and LS's name to get going (2 of the hardest things, when starting a business).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She lost as PM actually

What task was that then? I don't remember her losing a task as Project Manager.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What task was that then? I don't remember her losing a task as Project Manager.

Task 3. The candles task. Katie won even with a fair amount of unsold stock but sold them at far higher prices than Roisin's team, though the end result was really close with about £15 difference.

Roisin's team sold out of stock, largely because of James, but at an undervalued rate. Roisin also sold some reed diffusers to a gift shop at a very unflattering price, which was probably her biggest failing that episode, since a hotelier wanted some with his candle order and was disappointed when they didn't have any left for him - he likely would have paid far more for them than Roisin had got. In some respects Roisin led the team well, but didn't have a rigid or specific enough focus on enforcing the margins (and arguably was a little unambitious with initial pricing) and the reed diffuser situation was also negative for her.

It was probably her most dicey episode, actually. She's been pretty good for several of the other episodes, especially on the creative side - the marketing for Big Dawg really saved that from a loss, and the GeoKnow idea whilst safe in some respects was a winner given the heavy constraints of that task. She could have helped more in the last episode by trying to speak up and direct Sanjay's attention when out on the road with him. It also wasn't clear why she ignored Bianca's Hatton Market tip for the diamonds either. She has these occasional lapses in judgment, but composes herself and speaks well for herself for the most part.

That comment Sugar made didn't really fit what we've seen overall, since Roisin's been featured relatively frequently. I would have to just guess that she is/was quiet in the boardrooms since they go on for longer than we see. Leah, also a little more reserved in general, did get a similar comment to this late in the last series, I think (probably in week 9 when she was on the losing team), and she spoke up for herself, so it's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

I'm not really sure who I think is the most likely winner anymore, but I do think Roisin's still in the running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Malik24 wrote: »
    Task 3. The candles task. Katie won even with a fair amount of unsold stock but sold them at far higher prices than Roisin's team, though the end result was really close with about £15 difference.

Roisin's team sold out of stock, largely because of James, but at an undervalued rate. Roisin also sold some reed diffusers to a gift shop at a very unflattering price, which was probably her biggest failing that episode, since a hotelier wanted some with his candle order and was disappointed when they didn't have any left for him - he likely would have paid far more for them than Roisin had got. In some respects Roisin led the team well, but didn't have a rigid or specific enough focus on enforcing the margins (and arguably was a little unambitious with initial pricing) and the reed diffuser situation was also negative for her.

It was probably her most dicey episode, actually. She's been pretty good for several of the other episodes, especially on the creative side - the marketing for Big Dawg really saved that from a loss, and the GeoKnow idea whilst safe in some respects was a winner given the heavy constraints of that task. She could have helped more in the last episode by trying to speak up and direct Sanjay's attention when out on the road with him. It also wasn't clear why she ignored Bianca's Hatton Market tip for the diamonds either. She has these occasional lapses in judgment, but composes herself and speaks well for herself for the most part.

That comment Sugar made didn't really fit what we've seen overall, since Roisin's been featured relatively frequently. I would have to just guess that she is/was quiet in the boardrooms since they go on for longer than we see. Leah, also a little more reserved in general, did get a similar comment to this late in the last series, I think (probably in week 9 when she was on the losing team), and she spoke up for herself, so it's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

I'm not really sure who I think is the most likely winner anymore, but I do think Roisin's still in the running.

Oh yeah, I had forgotton about that task. Thanks for the reply/info too. Yes she did mess up in that task and did sell one of the items way too cheap but back then, I think all of them were doing pretty rubbish and no one was standing out at all back then.

Since then she has stood out as the general allrounder type but I was not impressed with her or that guy on the diamond buy. She used her looks to get the discount and that isn't really proper business dealing but I think that guy was a right "silly billy" for caving into her on that basis.

Re Bigdawg, I really think that name would be better off for a burger of somekind than a soft drink! :D:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^LOL so you would call a hamburger "bigdawg" not a hotdog
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^LOL so you would call a hamburger "bigdawg" not a hotdog

I said a burger of somekind, not all burgers are ham ones are they. Don't you think the name bigdawg was not really suited for a soft drink and was more suited for a burger or some food product or even something else?
  • Options
    UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She certainly stands out between the shoulders and belly button area...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I said a burger of somekind, not all burgers are ham ones are they. Don't you think the name bigdawg was not really suited for a soft drink and was more suited for a burger or some food product or even something else?

No not a burger or even some kind of burger at all. You'd call a hot dog "bigdawg" that was my point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No not a burger or even some kind of burger at all. You'd call a hot dog "bigdawg" that was my point.

You could call a Hot dog that but not just that. Some burgers have loads of different bits and bobs in them so they could call a general massive burger that or a special offer/large meal that etc etc

I used to be on a Boxing Forum and a Big American guy used to call himself Bigdog too! I think that is what Sugar was referring to in general, That the term Bigdog is used a lot in America but I so think it wasn't suited for a soft drink and the look on those American people in the park's faces pretty much confirmed it when they put the name to them.
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, Red Bull isn't communist or a bovine animal, but it sells alright. Big Dawg was bold and brash and in yer face. Perfect for the americans in my opinion.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    She and Katie are by far the strongest two overall imo, she probably just inches ahead for me, with Mark third. But I expect them all to be given a hard time somewhere along the line to test them.

Always have a chuckle when they get to the semi final and in most years there are some numpties left but Sugar suddenly changes to 'this is very very difficult as we have very very credible/talented/exceptional individuals here' :D
    You could call a Hot dog that but not just that. Some burgers have loads of different bits and bobs in them so they could call a general massive burger that or a special offer/large meal that etc etc

I used to be on a Boxing Forum and a Big American guy used to call himself Bigdog too! I think that is what Sugar was referring to in general, That the term Bigdog is used a lot in America but I so think it wasn't suited for a soft drink and the look on those American people in the park's faces pretty much confirmed it when they put the name to them.

But in terms of food the Americans (many of them that I've met anyway) already call hotdogs 'dogs', not hamburgers or any other foodstuff, so it's confusing at least.

It'd be like calling a brand of hot chocolate something related to, say, tea.
    Dennis C wrote: »
    Well, Red Bull isn't communist or a bovine animal, but it sells alright. Big Dawg was bold and brash and in yer face. Perfect for the americans in my opinion.

I'm sure you can find a better example of a strangely named product, but Red Bull's name apparently follows the original (separate) Thai energy drink. Not that many who neck it with vodka at the weekends probably know it but in English too there's the Taurine/Taurus (bull) link.

It's hardly as if folk are going to get confused because there are actual animal-based soft drinks/mixers is it?!!

One of my favourite Japanese soft drinks is Calpis but (say it aloud if you need to) I think that is one that would need renaming in an English-speaking market :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dennis C wrote: »

I think the name Red Bull is a reference to the energy the drink is supposed to give to people. The term Bigdog might be an American term but suited as a name for a soft drink? Not in my book.