Confused by fixed term contract & continuous employment

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
Forum Member
✭✭
I just finished a maternity cover for one Local Authority. My contract states that it ends on 31/07/12.

Q1) My pay arrives on 26/7/12. My payslip says it's the amount I've received every other month. Have I been being paid up until the end of the month on the 26th each time? It seems a bit odd to me (though I could just be confused) to be "given" 4 or 5 days pay without my workplace actually knowing yet if it has been worked. So do my workplace owe me 5 days pay for 26th-31st July in an August payslip or have I already had it? :confused:

Q2) My contract says "You will be paid in twelve equal monthly payments". I didn't previously believe that was true given that my contract was due to end in July (which it also says on the same sheet of paper) but September to July only equals 11 equal monthly payments. Am I owed another if it's been stated in my contract? :confused::confused:

I have another job under the same LA for September, for a FTC I've already had confirmed as 12 months, so no issues when that contract comes in :)

But...

Q3) I have phoned HR twice and had different responses each time. I was told that my new position simply meant an employee transfer and a new contract being issued.

I asked what this meant for my continuous employment status and was told by one person that as an internal transfer under the same LA, it would count as continuous regardless of the summer holidays (where I previously believed I would not be employed by the LA through August - see other questions above!)

I asked again when trying to clarify Q1 and was told it was not continuous unless either contract agreed to extend through August, which obviously, being FTC school positions, they would not do.

ACAS have told me I can argue there is a continuation being under the same LA and the summer break being part of the nature of my employment, but I'm just very confused on all the above points and would appreciate some viewpoints, as the people that are supposed to be in the know don't seem to know what they should be telling me at all! :mad:

Many thanks for all input.

Comments

• EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that your school-year of pay is divided up into twelve equal monthly payments, so you'll get a payslip for August, despite not working in August. This is for 1/12th of the school year, rather than for the actual month's pay.

It may have changed though :)
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will you gain by having your two fixed-term contracts considered continuous employment?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FTCs seem to largely be the nature of my job now, and I'm worried, even if I stay with the same LA for years how it will effect my length of service and my entitlement to benefits from within the service further down the line, such as sickness pay, maternity pay, pension, everything like that.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    What will you gain by having your two fixed-term contracts considered continuous employment?

I might be wrong, but I believe 2 consecutive fixed year contracts in a school would run 1st Sept to 21st July each. Continuous employment would mean the OP was employed during the summer Holidays and may be entitled to more pay as a result.