Options

Internet dating...

Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was on Match.com for 3 years..
Still use POF and Oasis..

I have had a few dates, but always seem to get used for free meals and then given the boot..

Is there something wrong with me?

I am seriously losing any faith in dating..

Comments

• Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »

I have had a few dates, but always seem to get used for free meals and then given the boot..

Is there something wrong with me?.

Buy me some fish and chips and I'll tell you.:D
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on Match.com for 3 years..
    Still use POF and Oasis..

Is there something wrong with me?

I am seriously losing any faith in dating..

I was on POF after my 3 1/2 year relationship broke down. He cheated with his ex. i don't think it's you at all. I had so many dates from POF and most would say after 1 or 2 dates "I'm not ready to see anyone at the moment" ... Then why join POF? lol... Ironically I met my ex on Faceparty 4 1/2 years ago and my current partner I met on Twitter of all places. It is possible to meet someone via a dating site. My cousin met her husband of 8 years on Match.com and they have 2 kids now... You have to kiss a few frogs before you meet your prince... Or princess :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    I was on POF after my 3 1/2 year relationship broke down. He cheated with his ex. i don't think it's you at all. I had so many dates from POF and most would say after 1 or 2 dates "I'm not ready to see anyone at the moment" ... Then why join POF? lol... Ironically I met my ex on Faceparty 4 1/2 years ago and my current partner I met on Twitter of all places. It is possible to meet someone via a dating site. My cousin met her husband of 8 years on Match.com and they have 2 kids now... You have to kiss a few frogs before you meet your prince... Or princess :)

Yes true...

I have been single for so long 3 and a half years since my last relationship..

Think once you are single that long, there is little you can do to change the situation
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably do it if I was single. The key is to keep your expectations in check - the most honest biography in the world still won't tell you whether you'll click with a date so it's just trial and error.

Is it a given on these sites that the man pays for dinner? Seems a bit archaic to me....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the fact that the man pays, just tells me one thing..
    A lot of women go on just to keep meeting guys and getting a free feed...

A bit harsh of me to say that..

But thats how it looks..
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I'm on a couple of sites and have been for a few years , I'm having the time of my life :D , its quite easy to work out if someone is a "user" when your chatting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    I'm on a couple of sites and have been for a few years , I'm having the time of my life :D , its quite easy to work out if someone is a "user" when your chatting

Let me into your secret please..

I fear I am just to Global and girls see that..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes true...

Think once you are single that long, there is little you can do to change the situation

Don't offer or agree to meet for dinner on the first date - agree to meet for coffee instead, that way you won't feel used if it goes pear-shaped and you can extricate yourself from a date if it isn't for you without it being too hurtful as you (or the other person) isn't expected to make a night of it.

Finding a partner that suits you takes time and it's better to be on your own than with the wrong person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did online dating for around a year back when I lived in São Paulo.

I met a shitload of men but the only ones that really stick in my mind are the favela gangsta I dated for a few months who was really hot but got dumped after he stole stuff from my apartment, and some guy with a really close cropped photo who I agreed to go to the cinema with but ran away from because made me watch Harry Potter and kept pawing at me. It didn't help that he looked like a hobbit in real life either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let me into your secret please..

I fear I am just to Global and girls see that..

Its no secret its just a numbers game the more you message the closer you get to the right ones, the rest is down to intuition
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But thats how it looks..
    Yeah some are but there are also really lovely girls out tere as well. I use Oasis and its a mixed bag, have met some wonderful women on there . However some just couldnt be ****ed , also you got the other extreme , total bunny boilers . But keep with Oasis you will have luck. However I would say POF is awful. I was on there for a year or so and you v rarely get girls message you, and when they do its normaly as a reply to you and its along the lines of "yeah im good".
    But I have heard girls saying its a shit site as well, so I dont think its just a guy thing.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    POF kinda did work for me but not in the way you'd think.

I met up with a woman on there ended up just having casual sex and a bit companionship, she wanted a relationship but I wasn't so sure, eventually she met another guy but we remained friends. She introduced me to a friend of hers in which we really hit it off and now we're kinda seeing each other and dating. :p

Personally I'd go with say Facebook over a dating site, I found that to be so much better. Getting to know friends of friends by commenting on statuses or joining certain groups and meeting women there. I met up with lots of women on there, many of which I became genuinely good friends with which can open doors for you. The problem with POF it attracts the wrong kind of people you want in your life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Fairly much agree. Although I do think there’s a bit of a bias on dating sites for women (and this may be true of men as well) who expect instant, crazy fireworks ‘Hollywood’ style and nothing less will do. So they will make a decision on whether they want to keep seeing you very quickly without really giving it time to see how things develop.

I know two couples who recently got engaged after meeting online over the last few years though, it does work. Be proactive, go on as many dates as you can (though as someone else mentioned, make it less formal – drinks in a bar, coffee or whatever, not dinner. I even took a girl to a climbing wall on a first date once!) – to put it crudely, the more tickets to the raffle you buy the more likely you are to win a prize.

I think that with internet dating by the time you get round to meeting you have already decided there is potential there so its just down to the "spark" and thats the purpose of the meeting to see if its there

But yes coffee or a drink is the way to go, if the woman (in my case) isn't happy with just that and insists on a meal , theatre or something expensive they are just looking for a meal ticket
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Online dating sucks. Went on MySingleFriend once and thought I would send a message to guys I fancied and what-not. Nothing, nada from them, even the one who added me as a favourite. It got to the point where it dented my self-esteem so I left it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Online dating sucks. Went on MySingleFriend once and thought I would send a message to guys I fancied and what-not. Nothing, nada from them, even the one who added me as a favourite. It got to the point where it dented my self-esteem so I left it.

Just look on it as their loss not yours , if they don't have the decency to reply then they weren't worth it anyway , you had a lucky escape
  • Options
    denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes true...

It's untrue I was single for longer than that as I refused to date any old man for the sake of it. I met my husband on e-harmony and we got married this year. So it can and does work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But thats how it looks..

Lol it probably does look that way. My husband paid for all meals and sometimes we went to dinner twice a week. Where else are we meant to meet and talk? A restaurant is good for that but it can be costly. I told myself him paying was his way of saying I was worth the money etc.
    As we got to know each other he cooked for me, do much better than eating out but clearly he couldn't have asked me to dinner at his at the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong..
    I don't mind treating a lady to dinner..
    But after 40 times of taking different ones out, gets a bit pointless..
  • Options
    Kitty-Kat_MEOW.Kitty-Kat_MEOW. Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I have got 2 friends who are doing a double internet dating this Friday in a local pub. 2 women meeting 2 seperate men.. cringe.

I know the time and i know the place, and want to go and be nosey! So does my other friend. (want to be nosey) that is.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I just ooze mug? lol
    Thats why I have had n look with these sites?
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I just ooze mug? lol
    Thats why I have had n look with these sites?

Nah, I'm sure you're not a mug. (Maybe.)
    It's better if you don't come across as a cheapskate who thinks the ladies are only using him for dinner, though. lol

Are you usually very cynical on a date, or is this a rare time where you're airing your grievances?

I agree with the person who said you should just go out for coffee on a first date. That way, you'll only be set back like £10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.. i am respectful.
    I don't ponce over them or anything..

These days you'd probably be locked up for something with innercent intentions.. lol
  • Options
    HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met my current partner on match.com. We have been a couple 4 years and have lived together for 2 of those.

I do think it's possible, but you just have to meet the right person, it's pot luck. Some people will find it after a couple of months, so people may take years.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah never mind then, women are too much hard work.

You just need to learn how to weed out the people who are going to use you as a meal ticket, and find the really desperate ones who are more interested in their biological clock ticking away and have the need to settle down. ;-)

I shall show you the way, grasshopper.