EastEnders - The future of Dot Cotton (June Brown)

storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I love Dot, legend in my eyes but recently I've been thinking, June is 87 and I do wonder how long she will stay on for. It will be so painful to watch when she leaves though but how long can we see her on screen till? I don't want June to be overworked.

Comments

• walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure she'll stay until she dies.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    It is a difficult one, June Brown has previously said she has no plans to leave EastEnders and she will probably be there until the day she dies. I think it would be a great shame if we never had a proper exit storyline for Dot as she has played such a major part in EastEnders history but obviously it is a possibility.

As June is 87 years of age it is unlikely she will ever work full time hours again due to her age and obviously in the coming years depending on June's health and her advancing years it is likely she will appear less and less. It is amazing she is still working so hard at almost 90 years of age, my Grandma is the same age as June and i couldn't imagine her being able to cope with the schedule and learning lines like June does.

June Brown by all intents and purposes is still in good health for her age but according to an article i read about June on the Daily Mail website this week she has lost a stone and half in the last year due to the stress of writing her Autobiography since the year Dot and she has Pre-Diabetes and had to have an operation on her eye last Christmas, she also around that time had a fall in her Bathroom and broke a bone in her hand and she still hasn't fully recovered from it. The signs are obviously there that she is getting older and her health may be slowly declining which isn't surprising considering she is nearly 90 years of age. June just needs to be careful because although we all love her as Dot her health and well being are far more important than EastEnders.
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id be fine with saying goodbye to Dot if it meant June would be in better health. That's the most important thing.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    June has already left and had an exit storyline. Maybe it's a case of been there, done that. I'm happy she wants to stay indefinitely. If worst comes to worst she can be given an off screen death and funeral like Frank Butcher. Those episodes ended up being some of the best of the last decade even though Frank only appeared in flashbacks.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Mrs.Branning stays for as long as possible
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If June is happy to stay until she dies people have to respect that. We aren't owed an on screen exit for Dot. I find it offensive when people act like seeing Dot depart on screen is more important than the actual actress behind the character.

As noted above. Frank never died on screen but his funeral was perfect and perhaps the best EE ever did. When the time comes EE and the BBC will honour June in the same way as they did Mike Reid.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    June has already left and had an exit storyline. Maybe it's a case of been there, done that. I'm happy she wants to stay indefinitely. If worst comes to worst she can be given an off screen death and funeral like Frank Butcher. Those episodes ended up being some of the best of the last decade even though Frank only appeared in flashbacks.

I agree with you about the Frank Butcher funeral episodes they were superb and a fitting tribute to the late Mike Reid, Frank deserved a great send of as he was a terrific character and a true one off. Frank Butcher still remains one of my all time favourite soap characters.
  • Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think June Brown will work until she passes but when the time sadly comes there is no doubt that she will be given a spectacular send off. However with Charlie Cotton and Ronnie's baby, there will be links to Dot for the future
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    I agree with you about the Frank Butcher funeral episodes they were superb and a fitting tribute to the late Mike Reid, Frank deserved a great send of as he was a terrific character and a true one off. Frank Butcher still remains one of my all time favourite soap characters.

And mine. Pat and Frank were the best yo-yo couple of all time:D
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,222
    Forum Member
    A show without Dot or Pat will be hard to bear. Junes health is the most important factor though.
  • Lion_60Lion_60 Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I really hope Dot will stay for as long as possible. And her exit should be huge.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I'd love for her to stay onscreen until she dies, I'd actually quite like a death for Dot onscreen
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think she should wrap up her time in EE at the 30th next year, end the 30 year long Nick arc, and die peacefully. If JB dies for real it will no official screen exit for such a legend, which would be a shame.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally think she should wrap up her time in EE at the 30th next year, end the 30 year long Nick arc, and die peacefully. If JB dies for real it will no official screen exit for such a legend, which would be a shame.

There are lots of soap actors who've never quit and whose characters died with them, like Betty Driver in Coronation Street.

Violet Carson left Corrie in 1980 due to ill health but never officially quit and Ena Sharples was considered an active character till she died in 1983.

Those characters are well remembered despite having no big exit storyline.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Dot, legend in my eyes but recently I've been thinking, June is 87 and I do wonder how long she will stay on for. It will be so painful to watch when she leaves though but how long can we see her on screen till? I don't want June to be overworked.

I don't know why people always go on about this, June asks for the work! She's EXTREMELY fit and healthy for her age! She has said she wants to go in real life before she goes in EastEnders, and she will probably never retire, we could see her on screen for another 10 years, who knows... Peggy mitchell will probably be back by then lol, we'd still have pat butcher if it weren't for that dick Bryan kirkwood.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are lots of soap actors who've never quit and whose characters died with them, like Betty Driver in Coronation Street.

Violet Carson left Corrie in 1980 due to ill health but never officially quit and Ena Sharples was considered an active character till she died in 1983.

They were trying to get Violet Carson back in Corrie in 1982/1983, however her ill health prevented this and she later died.
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wouldn't it have been better for them to have had proper exits then simply vanishing?
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I don't know why people always go on about this, June asks for the work! She's EXTREMELY fit and healthy for her age! She has said she wants to go in real life before she goes in EastEnders, and she will probably never retire, we could see her on screen for another 10 years, who knows... Peggy mitchell will probably be back by then lol, we'd still have pat butcher if it weren't for that dick Bryan kirkwood.

I agree with you. If she wants to stay, she should.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    If June is happy to stay until she dies people have to respect that. We aren't owed an on screen exit for Dot. I find it offensive when people act like seeing Dot depart on screen is more important than the actual actress behind the character.

As noted above. Frank never died on screen but his funeral was perfect and perhaps the best EE ever did. When the time comes EE and the BBC will honour June in the same way as they did Mike Reid.

This post. June Brown can decide whatever she wants to do.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    They were trying to get Violet Carson back in Corrie in 1982/1983, however her ill health prevented this and she later died.

They hoped she would come back to Granada Studios in 1982 to see The Queen and Prince Philip open the new set but she just wasn't able for it.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think June should decide about her future