Options

32" versus 37"

I know it's a matter of preference, but has anyone opted for either size and wished they got the other? I'm undecided whether to go for 32" or 37" in my room. I'll be sitting around 5 to 7 foot away, and will be using it for HD gaming primarily, so as far as I understand either will do fine. Price wise it doesn't matter – Amazon has both for under £400 for highly rated models – so it's just a case of size.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find my 32 inch Samsung too small now but it was a present so mustn't grumble. I do sit a bit further away though. I'm sure I could hang a 50 inch on the opposite wall.....
  • Options
    The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 37" and my Missus loves it. My Dad has a 32" and my Mum's not that impressed.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have a 32" TV in my bedroom. It's fine for that room and to be honest I couldnt have gotten anything bigger due to the size of the room but I know a 32" would not be big enough as my main viewing tv in the living room (have 42").
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have a 32" TV in my bedroom. It's fine for that room and to be honest I couldnt have gotten anything bigger due to the size of the room but I know a 32" would not be big enough as my main viewing tv in the living room (have 42").

That's exactly how I feel about it. I'm thinking of moving the 32 inch to the bedroom in preparation for dso next year and getting a bigger one in the living room. Strangely a few years ago the thought of a 32 inch tv in a normal sized bedroom would have been madness.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pmbond wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel about it. I'm thinking of moving the 32 inch to the bedroom in preparation for dso next year and getting a bigger one in the living room. Strangely a few years ago the thought of a 32 inch tv in a normal sized bedroom would have been madness.

May be because of the size and weight of a 32" 4:3 CRT TV. :D

A 37" widescreen LCD is feather light and a few inches thick.

I used to have a 36" Widescreen CRT it took two people to lift it and it was still a struggle. I can easily lift my 40" LCD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    http://www.displaywars.com/32-inch-16x9-vs-37-inch-16x9

This image doesn't make it look like much of a step up... or am I wrong?
  • Options
    koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I have heard it said that people quite often say that they wished they had got a bigger tv, but very rarely do people say that they wished they had got a smaller tv. So on that premise go for the 37 inch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    A shop called Warehouse Clearance in Stanley, County Durham (UK) is currently offering a BUSH 52" Full (1080p) HD LCD TV (with DTT built in). 4 Hdmi, 2 x scart, phono/RCA, and USB inputs/outputs etc. for £699.99!!!??? That's bigger than our overmantle including the mirror!! Standard definition picture was acceptable, HD was very good (But they were using a cheap Blu-Ray player may have been better from one of the Sony players they had for £97.99). Two kids were pestering their dad to get one for the Playstation (As if, but good thinking though). Anyone living near the place should check out the offers they have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I have a 37" Toshiba XV (paid £400 on amazon warehouse deals) that, like you , is about 7ft away from me. Mine is used as a giant PC monitor for output from my HTPC. Output is at 1080p (1980x1080) and the picture is amazing especially for my HD movies and games.
    I had a 32" and I can defintely say a 37" is worth the upgrade but at the 7ft viewing distance I could never imagine getting anything bigger.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go for the biggest set that would fit comfortably in the room.

Some people argue that smaller sets are better for SD content, but that doesn't apply here (and anyway it depends on how good the upscaling is).
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, if you are undecided between two sizes, always go for the bigger. And then forget both of them and get one more size up. So my vote would be for 42" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It depends on the size of the room, and the shape!

A year or two ago, I helped my uncle pick out a new tv, for the size of his room and distance he was watching it, I said that a 32" would be fine, but he ignored this and went for a 37". He then said that he thinks I was right because he was getting head aches from it! I think he repositioned it and where he watched it from and I haven't heard him complain about head aches since! But it all depends on a few things!
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Just changed from 32 to 37, couldn't go any bigger because of space restraints but the move was worth it and I think the 37 is a perfect compromise on size...
  • Options
    captainmccoycaptainmccoy Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 32" HD Ready tv after my last CRT and after a while I knew the room could do with a bigger screen so now I have a 37" Full HD set and its much better and Bluray looks incredible
  • Options
    MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Lol, there's not much difference. The fact is that whatever you get, you will be looking at from a very close viewing distance. Go with the best specced TV out of the two, irrespective of size.

It's not like you will constantly be looking at a 37 in the next room, crying that you only have a 32. You won't be thinking about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    Lol, there's not much difference. The fact is that whatever you get, you will be looking at from a very close viewing distance. Go with the best specced TV out of the two, irrespective of size.

When I changed from 32" to 37" the improvement on Bluray was outstanding.

I put it down to the change from HD Ready to Full HD - but some have said it was the screen size increase that showed off HD much better
  • Options
    MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    When I changed from 32" to 37" the improvement on Bluray was outstanding.

I put it down to the change from HD Ready to Full HD - but some have said it was the screen size increase that showed off HD much better

Perhaps your 37" was just a better specced TV than your old 32?

I have a top of the range 32 Sammy, and up against the 37/40" TVs that some of my mates have, there really is no difference.
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything above 32" in a bedroom is overkill. In fact a 26" would probably be sufficient for most people. But it depends on the size of your room - and the size of your wallet.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I went from a 32" LCD to a 46" LCD, so I'd say go bigger every time :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think size does play a role. I have a 32" full HD TV and a 42" HD ready TV. Not only does Blu ray look better on the 42" screen, the difference between HD and SD is much greater on the 42" screen than on the 32" screen.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    I think size does play a role. I have a 32" full HD TV and a 42" HD ready TV. Not only does Blu ray look better on the 42" screen, the difference between HD and SD is much greater on the 42" screen than on the 32" screen.

Size only plays a role if you view from the same distance - a smaller TV viewed closer is exactly the same as a larger TV viewed further away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Size only plays a role if you view from the same distance - a smaller TV viewed closer is exactly the same as a larger TV viewed further away.

I view the 32" from 5 feet away and the 42" from 8.5 feet away.

Prehaps my eyes have just gotten used to the 42" (I've had it for 2 and half years) only had the 32" a few weeks.

Or prehaps The 42" is a better TV than the 32" (Although they are about the same on paper-except that the 32" is full HD).

Or prehaps Full HD is over-rated:p
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the 42 is just a better TV?, a good HD Ready is better than a poor Full HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    Perhaps your 37" was just a better specced TV than your old 32?

I have a top of the range 32 Sammy, and up against the 37/40" TVs that some of my mates have, there really is no difference.

They are both Panasonic Viera tv's .

But as I said above , one was HD Ready the 37" is Full HD and both are viewed from the same distance