Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I am paying for people to snuffle their fat snouts into bacon, sausage and eggs while I have coffee and some fruit and yogurt or a small bowl of cereal at the most .

You seem to have been most unfortunate. Let me reassure you that this characteristic, where it exists, is not confined to consumers of cooked breakfasts. I gather this trait used to be a feature among some early patrons of the all-you-can-eat buffets. As a great, and non-snuffling fan, of a full English, I find my fellow breakfast eaters to be civilised and not endowed with fat snouts.
    Breakfast should always be available but it is far more sensible and fair to charge seperately based on what is eaten.

I think it depends what's on offer. If the alternative is coffee and, say, croissants, then it would indeed be fair to charge less, but, when, as sometimes happens, there's a range of cheeses and cold meats and so on, these are probably the equivalent value.

SolarSail wrote: »
    I'm sure she did (as I alluded to) but I think that was because she thought their place was streets ahead of the others (or how one of the others was likely to be) and suspected that others might not pay in full.

To be fair, she said she thought their place should win even above her own - and we know she has a high opinion of her own.

Yes. No matter how much she liked mum and daughter there's no way Kristin would rate their place higher than hers unless she meant it.
    Not sure I'll ever be 15 mins away from Kristen's place...but you never know eh?!

In that case - and I don't know how I've picked up this random bit of information - but I do believe you find your self in beautiful St Andrews.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Some funny, varied and interesting posts today and interesting observations.

I didn't much like any of them so I didn't care who won.

Kristin interested me the most. She's a sophisticated business woman and is running her place in exactly the way she wants with no allowances . God forbid your baby throws up on the rug or God forbid you do :eek:

I think she's foolish and arrogant to dismiss guest's complaints of being cold. She's cutting her costs at their expense and if it's only one room in her house that she clearly knows is cold - don't include it. I think she's taking people for mugs on that and it's very wrong.

On the other hand she appeared to be trying to be fair when measuring the other B and B's standards against hers (which are overrated by her).

To me she's living in a beautiful old house in very reduced circumstances and B and B was the obvious way forward in order to hold on to it but as (I think it was Solar) said - it's very much her home.

I'd give it a try too but I know I'd hate it and Tally . you do make me laugh.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Bellamy wrote: »
    You seem to have been most unfortunate. Let me reassure you that this characteristic, where it exists, is not confined to consumers of cooked breakfasts. I gather this trait used to be a feature among some early patrons of the all-you-can-eat buffets. As a great, and non-snuffling fan, of a full English, I find my fellow breakfast eaters to be civilised and not endowed with fat snouts.

:D:D I have to be careful how I word this.

I live in a corner of Mallorca once described by an English journalist as a hornets' nest of Germans. In the tourist season it is but only because they outnumber us and take-over. BUT one thing I know is that they're pigs at the trough when it's free food or all you can eat. Mainly the men. I've never been elbowed out of the way before in a supermarket.

I'd rather be here though than in Magalluf with the worst of theEnglish.

At least here I don't understand if their cafe conversation is inane. :D:p
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sclark78 wrote: »
    Can I just ask- what's the name of the French version and where are you watching it? Cheers :)
    Bienvenue Chez Nous - it's on TF1 currently... at around 17h40 though the start time varies a bit. This is a link to the catchup page but probably only helpful to someone in France - just as I cannot watch UK stuff on the various catchup programs such as BBC iPlayer (without masking my IP address because part of my IP address gives away my non-UK location) anyone in the UK trying to watch overseas stuff online may have the same problem.

Solar, I was pondering last night whether the format is better... or just fresher. Because I am finding the 4iaB format - or at least the participants - increasingly dull. However, after looking at the Facebook page and reading the comments, I find the behaviour of owners, friends and family unedifying and makes me feel grubby for going rummaging through the remarks. Not one has any idea how to portray a business on social media. Idiots.

Goose down duvets... if you care about animal welfare, you have to be careful about the source of the filling. What may look a good deal for us is often a very bad deal for the birds who are live-plucked and left to grow the down again before being re-plucked. I'd now only buy goose down duvets from somewhere like John Lewis where I could be sure of the provenance of the filling.
    johnhugh wrote: »
    Could be through lack of applicants or budget, but if it was the later, this series - the longest yet?
    I can't believe it would be through lack of applicants - there are enormous numbers of British-owned (or at least English-speaking) chambres / maisons d'hôtes in various regions of France. Provence and the Dordogne to name two other regions. But as each "week" is filmed over two weeks, perhaps there are practical problems with getting the film edited as the production team may not be travelling back to base between property visits. But I'm only guessing - may not be that at all. This series is 40 episodes, iIrc, and series 3 was 60 (I think - C4 website not loading for me atm).
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if it said the cost was £60 for bed and £6 for light breaky and £15 for fill your boots ?

No. I wouldnt pay £15 for a breakfast anywhere.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellamy wrote: »
    Do you think knowing they're soon going to be accountable personally inhibits what the guests are prepared to say?
    Possibly. But what I'm not sure about yet is whether culturally (as a group) they are less bitchy - or less thin-skinned - than many 4iaB owners seem to be. I think they are saying what they think and would say the same in the same way even if they would not be accountable within a few days for their remarks.

Another difference in the French version is that - because many countryside chambres d'hôtes provide evening meals - table d'hôte where guests eat with the hosts* - most of the evening meals are taken at the property and the owners are judged on the meal, presentation and general ambiance. One property was criticised a bit this week because they don't do td'h and therefore got a local caterer (traiteur) in to provide the meal.

* This is a differentiation thing to appease small hotels who consider the favourable tax benefits / rates received by cd'hs unfair

E2A: Tally... I've just been reading back and am so pleased your pup will recover from being attacked. What a horrible experience - for you both.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Catching up with the posts this morning, I noticed how many times Kristins "self promoting" phrases were used.

It has worked, we all now know that her beautiful house is 15 minutes from St Andrews Golf Course, that sort of promotion would cost her an awful lot of money if she had had to pay for it. She took her chance and seized the moment and I for one applaud her ingenuity.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's far too much.

Why can't a B&B quote:

Room with continental breakfast - £70

Room with English Breakfast - £75

IMHO It's the word supplement, which made them feel annoyed.

I don't think the married couples on FIAB showed themselves up Eileen and Kristin did.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Catching up with the posts this morning, I noticed how many times Kristins "self promoting" phrases were used.

It has worked, we all now know that her beautiful house is 15 minutes from St Andrews Golf Course, that sort of promotion would cost her an awful lot of money if she had had to pay for it. She took her chance and seized the moment and I for one applaud her ingenuity.

I had to laugh at that - I would've loved to say to Ian "What do you think you've been doing for the last week - trying to win a stupid plaque?":D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    I sometimes stay at a place in Norfolk that has these on the bed. My wife and I liked it so much we ended up buying one.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: And they should be £650 :eek::eek:

*Thud*
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

It certainly has stuck in our minds, but it also made her seem very odd. Good marketing is about tailoring your promotion to the situation, and making it seem subtle and unobtrusive even when it actually isn't. If she'd paid for that, she'd have been ripped off!

Where is the ingenuity in mybeautifulgradebpitlessiehousefifteenminutesfromstandrews?

I don't think Saatchi & Saatchi will be quaking in their boots just yet.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So do I.
    Shrike wrote: »
    I had to laugh at that - I would've loved to say to Ian "What do you think you've been doing for the last week - trying to win a stupid plaque?":D

:D The main 'dislike' seems to have come from the two couples towards Kristin, not the other way round as has been claimed upthread. They were just not her cup of tea and who can blame her with their attitude of alienation. The reason they were not her cup of tea could just be their own fault. I don't like to say xenophobia but it does seem to hang around them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: And they should be £650 :eek::eek:

*Thud*

:eek: My reaction as well. I don't think I've ever paid more than £30 for a duvet.

It may have to do with needing synthetic ones, I'm allergic to feathers. I also am permanently hot, so it'd be way too much.

I bet I'd have found Kristen's cold room where Craig and wifie could see their breath, absolutely ideal. But I also never wear slippers so I wonder what her reaction would have been to me paddling around in bare feet?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    :eek: My reaction as well. I don't think I've ever paid more than £30 for a duvet.

It may have to do with needing synthetic ones, I'm allergic to feathers. I also am permanently hot, so it'd be way too much.

I bet I'd have found Kristen's cold room where Craig and wifie could see their breath, absolutely ideal. But I also never wear slippers so I wonder what her reaction would have been to me paddling around in bare feet?

I thought mine was expensive at about £40 I get rid of mine after a few year because of all the sweaty heat that goes through them. The horse rescue center gets them :)

I am a cool sleeper person too .. windows open when there is snow on the ground.

Oooo she would have to out that door like a flash :D
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Bienvenue Chez Nous - it's on TF1 currently... at around 17h40 though the start time varies a bit. This is a link to the catchup page but probably only helpful to someone in France - just as I cannot watch UK stuff on the various catchup programs such as BBC iPlayer (without masking my IP address because part of my IP address gives away my non-UK location) anyone in the UK trying to watch overseas stuff online may have the same problem.

Solar, I was pondering last night whether the format is better... or just fresher. Because I am finding the 4iaB format - or at least the participants - increasingly dull. However, after looking at the Facebook page and reading the comments, I find the behaviour of owners, friends and family unedifying and makes me feel grubby for going rummaging through the remarks. Not one has any idea how to portray a business on social media. Idiots.

Goose down duvets... if you care about animal welfare, you have to be careful about the source of the filling. What may look a good deal for us is often a very bad deal for the birds who are live-plucked and left to grow the down again before being re-plucked. I'd now only buy goose down duvets from somewhere like John Lewis where I could be sure of the provenance of the filling.

I can't believe it would be through lack of applicants - there are enormous numbers of British-owned (or at least English-speaking) chambres / maisons d'hôtes in various regions of France. Provence and the Dordogne to name two other regions. But as each "week" is filmed over two weeks, perhaps there are practical problems with getting the film edited as the production team may not be travelling back to base between property visits. But I'm only guessing - may not be that at all. This series is 40 episodes, iIrc, and series 3 was 60 (I think - C4 website not loading for me atm).

Apologies firstly for going on a bit of an OT rant but I looked at that link for the duvets and thought how great then looked. Then I came across this post and clicked on the highlighted link about 'live plucking'.
    Absolutely disgusted. What kind of immoral and sick human being can even come up with the idea of doing this. :mad:
    And what's just as bad is the people who support this practice by buying the product. I can imagine there is a genuine lack of knowledge and ignorance on the part of some people buying them about how this product has been produced but, uh, just shocking beyond belief! :(

Right, deep breath and back to the show. Blimey, there was a lot to read through and catch up on this morning, the consequence of not seeing seeing it 'live' I guess. But, I did get to see Liza Minnelli live at Festival Hall last night which was worth missing FIAB for! :D

Same as many, by the end of the week I really didn't care who won. I thought Kristin handled the criticsm and under payments well and her constant shameless self promotion of her place was amusing if nothing else. The 2 couples this week were just pretty unpleasant people, the man in glasses and his gormless wife the worst. He seemed determined to start a fight but Kristen didn't rise to the bait to her credit.

Generally a poor finish to the series. Hope next weeks repeat is a good one. It would be nice to see some changes to the format made before this returns. Reading how the French seem to do the show looks better to me. Doubt it will happen, but we live in hope.
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    It certainly has stuck in our minds, but it also made her seem very odd. Good marketing is about tailoring your promotion to the situation, and making it seem subtle and unobtrusive even when it actually isn't. If she'd paid for that, she'd have been ripped off!

Where is the ingenuity in mybeautifulgradebpitlessiehousefifteenminutesfromstandrews?

I don't think Saatchi & Saatchi will be quaking in their boots just yet.

Subtle and unobtrusive marketing wasnt applicable in this situation as the programme was only shown for five days. Her phrases were to the point and repetative, so as to remember them, a hard sell, Yes but to the point and short, sharp and often.

Suble and unobtrusive wouldnt make the point so well in such a short time.
    Saatchi and Saatchi, hardly a fair comparison but Kristin got her point across without their price tag and I also found it amusing as it wound the other couples up so much.

The ingenuity was to do it at all, no one else has.
  • SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see from the FIAB Facebook page that Pitlessie House is up for sale.
    Forum Member
    SueG wrote: »

I just had a look £465000, it does look very nice.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Seconding the comments on live plucking *shudders*
    I do think it's an issue that's kept quiet though. Once I knew about it, there's no question that I'd avoid any suppliers like the plague if they don't have an ethical policy.
    As Normandie says, you should be able to read a statement on their website, or sales staff should be aware - if not, avoid.
    Shrike wrote: »
    :D they just don't see the irony do they, some of the contestants (as I said before about marks on the bedlinens :rolleyes:)
    The ingenuity was to do it at all, no one else has.
    She also does it in most of her replies on TA.
    Gillie, I guess you didn't see the earlier series I referred to before?
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/four-in-a-bed/episode-guide/series-2/episode-59
    The guy there drove everyone mad with his tagline 'Blackpool's Best Kept Secret' he went on and on and on.
    It worked though, as certainly at the time of the programme just typing the phrase into Google brought up his place as first hit.

It seems he's sold it since though and it's now this place.
    SueG wrote: »
    I hadn't seen that, funnily enough it often happens doesn't it - either places which are fairly new ownership, or the reverse.
    Like others, just reading the comments from both camps and their supporters this week have made me feel a bit grubby.
    Normandie wrote: »

Agreed.
    I was surprised that Kristin was draw into it with her professional experience and the restraint she showed on camera - or at least what we saw on camera.
    She strikes me though as someone who is charming and delightful so long as you toe the line and are the right kind of guest.
    If something goes wrong or she doesn't like you, she can't resist having the last word and telling all - even that which would be better left unsaid.

I wonder what her plans are next?
    Forum Member
    Seconding the comments on live plucking *shudders*
    I do think it's an issue that's kept quiet though. Once I knew about it, there's no question that I'd avoid any suppliers like the plague if they don't have an ethical policy.
    As Normandie says, you should be able to read a statement on their website, or sales staff should be aware - if not, avoid.

:D they just don't see the irony do they, some of the contestants (as I said before about marks on the bedlinens :rolleyes:)

She also does it in most of her replies on TA.
    Gillie, I guess you didn't see the earlier series I referred to before?
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/four-in-a-bed/episode-guide/series-2/episode-59
    The guy there drove everyone mad with his tagline 'Blackpool's Best Kept Secret' he went on and on and on.
    It worked though, as certainly at the time of the programme just typing the phrase into Google brought up his place as first hit.

It seems he's sold it since though and it's now this place.

I hadn't seen that, funnily enough it often happens doesn't it - either places which are fairly new ownership, or the reverse.
    Like others, just reading the comments from both camps and their supporters this week have made me feel a bit grubby.

Agreed.
    I was surprised that Kristin was draw into it with her professional experience and the restraint she showed on camera - or at least what we saw on camera.
    She strikes me though as someone who is charming and delightful so long as you toe the line and are the right kind of guest.
    If something goes wrong or she doesn't like you, she can't resist having the last word and telling all - even that which would be better left unsaid.

I wonder what her plans are next?

Thanks Solar, I dont miss a lot of FIAB but cannot remember the one you have shown, thanks for the link. However, I soon forget who was where, a Senior problem and it helps to read on here about the places as they then stick in my memory, I dont think I will forget Kristen for a while though.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the link for information about next week's repeats...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/four-in-a-bed/episode-guide/series-3/episode-11
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've brought it back to me. In 2002 I think it would have been, we took daughter and a friend of hers to a Marriott. There is such a wide choice for breakfast but friend had a bowl of Rice Krispies. Cost us £12.95. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    You've brought it back to me. In 2002 I think it would have been, we took daughter and a friend of hers to a Marriott. There is such a wide choice for breakfast but friend had a bowl of Rice Krispies. Cost us £12.95. :eek:

:eek:

Even for a full english, £12.95 is a bit steep, but for a bowl of rice crispies, thats just so :eek:
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Thanks Solar, I dont miss a lot of FIAB but cannot remember the one you have shown, thanks for the link. However, I soon forget who was where, a Senior problem and it helps to read on here about the places as they then stick in my memory, I dont think I will forget Kristen for a while though.:)

That particular one stuck in my memory because he really was a local entrepreneur and didn't miss a trick. Sadly my internet isn't good enough to watch programmes online, but I think he took them for their evening meal to one of his own places etc. and he may have been the guy who took them on a tram ride, pointing out other development plans that he had as they rode along.

We all remember different personalities for different reasons I think, such as the mint station couple and Butterfly Dave for example, versus the more err controversial characters ;)
    Here is the link for information about next week's repeats...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/four-in-a-bed/episode-guide/series-3/episode-11

Cheers BG will go and have a look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers BG will go and have a look.

The only one I remember is Saba Hotel but I'm sure the others will come back to me once they are on next week!
This discussion has been closed.